Revitalizing community in a Japanese resort town

Rie9
Host Advisory Board Member
Yomitan, Nakagami District, Japan

Revitalizing community in a Japanese resort town

Hosts play an important role in creating a more connected world, especially during a particularly lonely time. This series explores how Hosts can help revitalize places. Host Advisory Board members Claudia from Italy, Marielle from France, and Rie from Japan share their perspectives. Learn more about the Host Advisory Board

I grew up in central Japan and enjoyed backpacking in my youth. When I was 29, I moved to a small village in Okinawa and raised my three children in this beach resort area on the southern tip of Japan.

In my 30s, I was so introverted that I refused to use a smartphone. I was astonished when I learned about Airbnb through a friend. This single app solved so many challenges of travel, from finding accommodations and reading guidebooks to making payments and messaging with the Host. I began hosting a home on Airbnb when I was 42.

Like many beach resort towns around the world, Okinawa is home to large hotels and resorts. In my opinion, this can make it more difficult to provide authentic accommodations and experiences. For example, students on educational homestays often stay in properties run by outside investors, which may lead to fewer interactions with locals than if they were staying with members of the community.

For the past three years, I’ve been working on our village office staff to develop a guide training program and help both Airbnb as a company and Airbnb Hosts better integrate into our community. We believe that local Hosts with deep roots in the community can offer real immersion.

I am pictured with the country manager of Japan celebrating the partnership between my village and Airbnb Japan.I am pictured with the country manager of Japan celebrating the partnership between my village and Airbnb Japan.

In 2023, I organized a village tour with visitors from urban areas. I shared the village sanctuaries, pristine beaches, and the emotions contained in them. Participants interacted with locals to find digital stamps along the way.

We got great feedback. One person called it “an unforgettable experience,” and another is considering moving here. When you’re dealing with a hotelier, there’s a service provider and a service recipient. When you’re guided by an Airbnb Host, it’s more personal, and on a much smaller scale. That’s what I love about it.

My husband and friends, pictured, enjoyed repairing this traditional wooden boat.My husband and friends, pictured, enjoyed repairing this traditional wooden boat.

I firmly believe that we can nurture civic pride among the young residents of our village by helping them recognize the value of their home. I think that hosting on Airbnb can instill in them the courage to revitalize and thrive in their hometowns, and their horizons will be broadened by the new perspectives their guests bring.

I’m standing in front of young ebony trees used for traditional musical instruments in the region. These trees were planted by aspiring musicians after most were lost in the war.I’m standing in front of young ebony trees used for traditional musical instruments in the region. These trees were planted by aspiring musicians after most were lost in the war.

My village is a typical beach resort that lacks originality. Through Airbnb, I believe we can attract visitors interested in staying with locals and enjoying authentic experiences.

Read Claudia and Marielle’s articles here: 

Do you have similar experiences to share? How do you think your actions as a Host can impact regrowth?

8 Replies 8
Sarah5000
Adelaide, Australia

@Rie9 Well done, I love to visit your country one day and joining the tour. Agree with you the host offers more personal experience and unique content than the hotelier. 

Sarah
Rie9

Thank you Sarah!

I believe that unique experiences are what create happiness.

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Claudia331 , @Marielle135  and @Rie9 Thank you for your contributions to your communities.

I enjoy reading different articles from around the world of this Airbnb CC Forum.

I learn about different countries, different lifestyles that are similar but different but we all live in the same family.

Rie9

Hi Laurelle

Thank you for your comment.

Yes, you right ! we all live in the same family!🙌

@Rie9 👏🏻👏🏻 why a coincidence to read this today, I’m an Airbnb host in Pico Azores Portugal , waka land Azores, I am going to Japan tomorrow, at the moment I’m finishing my tryp in South Korea. Looking forward to check the wonders of great Japan.

Rie9

Hi Paula

Wow Wellcome !!!!   Enjoy Japan!

There are places where cherry blossoms are still blooming.

I am rediscovering the good qualities of my country through airbnb hosting.

I hope you love Japan!🇯🇵

Ibrahim260
Level 2
Kampala, Uganda

Hello Great friends here in Airbnb community

I feel very much regretful joining and all the articles especially the exchange experiences that  people and stories s give really make me very much moved that am in place where am going to learn and experience alot

Am always very much open to learning and please keep this move until we shall be  become mentors to other communities

I cant wait to welcome you in Uganda meet me and my family and go to school and have fun with children and have fun

Regards

I love that digital stamp idea. Sounds like a great way to introduce the guests to your neighborhood, like building a bridge. Love to hear more about it!