Sad example why hosts should know how many guests for each stay

Flavia202
Level 10
Kingston, Jamaica

Sad example why hosts should know how many guests for each stay

Hi all.  What a tragedy re the apartment building in Miami! So awful! It seems to have been in a prime location and like a post on another host forum it crossed my mind also whether there might be some airbnbs there, based on the location.

The person was saying that it's a prime example of why hosts should get the total number of guests for a booking. Couldn't agree more..
14 Replies 14
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks @Flavia202 for starting this topic on Miami.

Our thoughts are with all those who have been impacted by this tragedy.

There's something also to be said as to why we all need to rethink our practices in the world and all this supersize complexes, materials used and construction in general.

Those in days before us were a lot Smarter than those creating Smart Cities today.

Take Care and God Bless to all

True, @Helen427 . Cheers.

@Helen427  Such a sad event. We own a condo in a similar building in California. Coastal properties need constant maintenance because the salty air is very very corrosive. I am surprised that none of the media covering this 27/7 has mentioned this. 

Ask those in the steel industry as well why they use rusty steel in buildings as it's a recipe for disaster @Don-And-Emily0 

It pays for people to take photos of Building Construction right from scratch so all can all be documented.

Do you know if any photos exist as and when the Condo you have @Don-And-Emily0  was built?
Have a browse through library and newspaper archives and ask the local Council for them.

Be pro-active and follow up that your building is safe and fit for purpose.

Historic Land Title of ones property have peoples name on and the works they have undertaken in the area are often recorded.

Who originally owned the land and what was it used for are often helpful ways to establish matter of facts where and how things may have contributed to unfortunate consequences.

We have a family member who at one stage was a Project Manager for a Construction company ( I come from a family of Builders and grew up around constant renovations and building projects so have seen and learnt a lot first hand - don't start me on machinery noise!) who apparently said around 30 years ago there would be serious problems in the industry due to the short-sightedness of some.

Town Planners and those in Consents need to utilize historic Archives Newspaper collections to see where Flood plains lie,  land slides and earthquakes etc have all taken place and what engineering including the grading of roads with Graders and where drains have been created to get a more sensible idea what should and shouldn't be created where and consented or not consented to.

Those before us had a great eye for detail and exercised common sense.

One needs to sometimes go backwards to go forwards, as an example what once  used to be called ponds, swampland and marshes are now often drained locations that one may still thinks twice about building on.

It staggers me how much the construction industry thinks they can drain all the water where they intend t and do build without thinking logically what lies beneath the ground and water will travel where it will desire to after they have built it.

Water bores are our source of water worldwide, if only people stopped to think of Consequences...

The earth was created the way it was for a reason and some have screwed it up along with causing unnecessary losses of lives.

May those involved who contributed to this sad situation be held to account - that includes local Councils who approved the building where it was and those who provided the materials if that's what's contributed to it.

Most importantly, may we all learn something from it to ensure future generations also learn and have the right to personal safety where they choose to live or pass by

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Flavia202 I SO agree. I think guests are exceptionally foolish to try and "pull one over" on hosts and pack in more visitors. Its a safety issue beyond anything else. So many things could happen. This is just one terrible example. 

So right, @Laura2592 . Wouldn't it be nice if airbnb had a mandatory menu selection for number (how many persons)/type of guests (adult, child).
Max144
Level 10
Bongaree, Australia

Would be nice when couples come to stay and i had both names to write on Welcome black board.

@Max144 @Flavia202 @Laura2592 Yes it should be a requirement that every guest is listed on the booking.  That would be another level of security too. Hotels do that. It wouldn't be hard to add to the booking process. Then you would also have the names for the reviews. 

Totally agree with this. We ask for the names of all adults who stay at our house. Hotels do it. 

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Max144 for the past 3 months I have been asking for the names of the guests a week before arrival for registration. This has allowed me to put all their names on the welcome note. I also ask for the age of their children, that way I can leave suitable books and toys for their age. Last month I started asking for the guests telephone and postal address for registration. I have had no rejections so far. I think is everyone is asking now for our Covid lock downs. 

Flavia202
Level 10
Kingston, Jamaica

Sure thing, @Jillian115 .  Good point. Is there anyone from the HAB tuning in? Thoughts? 

Max144
Level 10
Bongaree, Australia

Would also be nice to greet at front door welcoming couples knowing both names  so not like total strangers, its starts a friendly vibe which is what Airbnb is about for home stays.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Max144 

Max, it is easy for me because I host in a separate cottage on the property and I am on hand to welcome each guest. I make sure they know in the welcome message that I will be here to greet them.

I also make sure in the message stream that I know the names of each guest staying prior to their arrival. I like to be able to address each person by name, not just as a guest. And you are right Max, when they arrive it has that feeling of welcoming friends, there is already a bit of personal knowledge between us, and it does get the hosting off to a good start.

This is my typical welcome message......

Screenshot_2021-06-30-11-24-32-86.jpg

I find sending a welcome sms is the most reliable way to get a fast reply. Some older travelers do not travel with their computer or the mobile app and nothing is more frustrating than sending a message through the message stream and waiting for a response that never comes! I always get a response within 5 minutes by sending an sms!

The only thing I will not do is mention by name the guest who is with the booked guest in the public review process, unless I am invited too. I learned fairly early in my hosting, that person with the booked guest is not necessarily the guests 'significant other'!! 

emojiflickr-e1428456469229-1024x630 B.jpg

Cheers.......Rob

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

Yes, @Robin4 l too learnt early on after reading their reveiw and before asking for guests names nearly called their new partner by old partners name. Also ,when I write their reveiw I only mention of their partner is husband (same surname). 

Also, we have a cottage on the same property and I meet guests at our front door. I find this is a way of finding how many guest several times there have been extras. We only sleep 4  and they think they have the whole cottage to themselves. I then show them the airbnb booking and then to add the extra people through airbnb.

All has been good so far. This is also why we dont have sofa beds.