Screening Potential Guests, questionable history.

Tina7872
Level 2
Harrison Township, NJ

Screening Potential Guests, questionable history.

I have a guest trying to book my new Airbnb property.  Airbnb says she has been verified.  However there is no information about her available.  She has one favorable review by Mr. Host's Adrianna.  When I go to Adrianna's reviews, this guest's review does not appear there.  I've looked at all available reviews.  Supposedly she stayed there in July of this year.  Could this be some kind of scam?  

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Tina7872  What sort of information do you expect to be available about a guest? Really, all we have available to go on is any reviews they might have, whatever profile write up they have  bothered to do (and most don't write anything there at all) and the way they communicate with us in messages and answer any questions we may put to them.

And yes, you can cross-reference to see what sort of reviews they have left for past hosts, but just because she didn't leave a review for her past host doesn't indicate a scam. Some people, both hosts and guests, just don't leave reviews, or miss the review deadline.What does the one review she has say?

As always, follow your gut. When hosts have an intuition about something, it usually proves to be correct.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Tina7872 

Gorgeous condo you have there.

I would try to engage the guest in polite conversation, ask how many total people will be there, and what relationship they have.

You are going to have to be very cautious about people trying to book for a huge party.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Tina7872 

Also politely  ask what is the nature of their visit to your area. 

The response can tell you a lot. For example, if they say they're attending a wedding, you might politely ask if they're planning a reception, in which case you either need details before they book, or just decline, if it's not a fit for your place.

Or if they say something that sounds unlikely compared to their profile or who they say they are, or just don't really answer the question... Then it's a red flag. 

Monica1941
Level 2
Elkin, NC

We have a spot in reviewing our past guests, that asks if we would host them again in the future.

I have checked NO in only a few instances in the past 6 years.

I would like to see where? on this site, can I find how other hosts have reviewed a guest that is trying to book with me.

I cannot find the link....

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Monica1941 

If you click on the guest’s profile you can read the reviews they received.

As far as I know there is no way to know if other hosts marked them “would not host again” unless they were kind enough to write it into the review.

Apparently the Airbnb computer knows and is supposed to use the information to block them from using IB. Otherwise it’s not telling.