Senior Hosts

Peter1
Host Advisory Board Alumni
SF, CA

Senior Hosts

The senior population is growing as Baby Boomers age.

Many are empty-nesters, whose housing assets are often greater than their needs and many require supplementary income. Hosting is part of the solution.  But, in my opinion, senior Hosts is a group that STR platforms could pay more attention to.

Are you a senior Host? What issues do you think Airbnb can help you with to make hosting an easier and better experience for you?

"By 2060, projections show, there will be close to 5.5 million people over 65, or 29% of the region’s total population.

As the region ages, housing options will evolve, with some seniors needing more support in their homes and others on fixed incomes struggling with finances.

Intergenerational living will become common, sometimes with kin moving in together to share duties and expenses, sometimes with seniors renting rooms to non-family members in exchange for help around the house. Home sharing and co-living will become more conventional. And one agency is experimenting with a backyard cottage program that saves some seniors from homelessness."

https://www.ocregister.com/2022/10/02/home-sharing-backyard-cottages-and-renting-out-rooms-help-seni...
19 Replies 19

@Helen3  I think you have my post confused with another host. I didn't write about this info....my post was about more along the lines of offering informative ways at better education on doing STR Business and using Airbnb as a platform. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry I meant @Lorna170 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Lorna170 

If you look on the Airbnb website they do have a section of regulations in various countries including the US.

However you can't expect a listing company to keep up with the various STR regulations across the world. It's up to us as the business owner to check with our local government website for these regulations in our area.

Airbnb does also make it clear that the guarantee is not a substitution for the STR business owner to have their own insurance.

However I do think Airbnb should have a checklist that comes up for hosts setting up a listing to remind the business owner to check for STR regulations in their areas and to make sure they take out appropriate insurance. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Clara116  "..the baby boomers, of which I belong, we grew up without cell phones, without social media, we talked on phones at home, wrote letters and actually mailed them."

Good days indeed, granted the pterodactyls were a bit annoying then, but we were a very resourceful lot. Our generation has gotten to enjoy two different worlds; how fortunate.

Teradactyl2.jpg

a pterodactyl attack

@Fred13 oh for certain, we have lived through the best of music, musicians, artists and people that we've seen do many amazing discoveries that have changed our worlds. And you are correct those pterodactyls were especially bothersome here in the south ... Hahaha. I am thrilled to have been born in the time period it's happened. I was taught we could do it all...and looks like you and I have stayed true to that motto! Peace Out Fred