Someone booked via Instabook but has more adults than allowed

Debi89
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Someone booked via Instabook but has more adults than allowed

Someone booked a week in my cottage via Instabook.    I allow a maximum of 4 adults + 2 children.  AirBnB define children as 12 and under.  The guest (who is also an AirBnB host) has 4 adults + 2 teenagers which makes 6 adults.

The cottage is 400 sq. ft.  Too small for 6 adults. When I used to allow 6 adults I got negative reviews on AirBnB.  Plus I don't charge for 6 adults. Having 6 adults for a week will mean the septic tank needs to be pumped out.

I have reached out to the guest but no response.  If I cancel them, then AirBnB will block that week but they did not adhere to my Instabook rules so it doesn't seem fair.

Can I charge additional money to cover the additional costs of 2 more adults?

Please advise.

12 Replies 12
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Debi89 If your septic tank cannot cope with the difference between 2 adults and 2 children for a week I suggest you get a bigger septic tank.

It can cope.  Its just going to cost me more money to pump it out because they lied about how many adults are coming. That's not fair.  Hotels charge more if there are more adults than children.   

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Debi89  Airbnb max guest counts don’t distinguish between adults and children (except for “infants” who do not count at all). So your goal of max 4 adults and 2 children under 12 is not supported by the platform.

(Frankly I don’t really buy the idea that two teenagers are substantially harder on septic systems etc than two children but that’s a tangent.) 

You can’t increase your price after a booking is confirmed.

In your shoes I would live with this booking and set my maximum guest count to 4 going forward. If you really want to allow an additional 2 children under 12 you can stipulate this in your listing text.

My 6'4" 19 year old and my 5' 10" 14 year old are considered children under AirBnB's platform?

AirBnB shows children as 12 and under.  I checked it out yesterday when they booked.

Teenagers and young adults take long showers.  My teenage boys take 20 - 30 minute showers.  All the water goes into the holding tank.  I will need an additional pump out of the holding tank during their stay.  

Anytime in the past that 6 adults have stayed in the cottage, their response on my review is that the 400 sq. ft. cottage is too small for them.

@Debi89 I am able to book your listing for 6 adults. If you want a max of 4 adults, you will need to set your max guest count to 4. I think that 6 people of any size would be too many for your 400 sq foot cottage. If you reduce the guest count and maybe even market to the tiny house crowd, I think you would get happier guests! And fewer problems with your septic system...:).

@Debi89 You need to stop distinguishing between children and adults and look at every single body as ‘guest’ instead (infants aside as they don’t count according to Airbnb). As others have said, set your ‘guest’ maximum to 4. 

@Jennifer1773 Great advice.

Right now I have a young family of 5 (kids are all under 12) who have been booking with me for 6 years.  They love it.  

My niche is a cottage for families.  Its not set up for adults.  There are lots of cottages in my area that are suitable for adults.

@Debi89 no, Airbnb doesn't consider your teenagers children under 12. The point is that this is irrelevant to your problem. If your max count is 6, this means 6 people over 2.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Also FYI @Debi89, the "also a host" thing is a known glitch in the system.  I've had many guests this year marked as "also a host," and not one of them is actually a host.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

400 sqft? Too small for 4 adults, regardless of children. Why cram that many people into a small space? Make your max guest count 4. Then it won't be an issue if it is 4 adults or 2 adults and 2 children.

Debi89
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Its best for families with small children and occasionally grandparents will come up.    I've hosted many families like this and they're happy with the cottage.  The location is phenomenal.  

I convey this in the listing.  But this guest booked and is not the instabook rules that I set.  This is the issue.  

So I have no recourse when people don't follow the rules?

@Debi89 Airbnb simply doesn't support a rule such as you are trying to enforce. Your max guest count is 6. This means 6 people over 2 and any additional number under 2. You are just going to continue to bang your head against the wall if you try to enforce a different interpretation, especially with instant-booking enabled. You've received good advice to set your max count to 4.