Terrible experience with a host - Recourses?

Patrick2233
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Terrible experience with a host - Recourses?

I just had a terrible experience with an AirBnb host. I called AirBnb mid way through the stay after the water was cut off, and Airbnb said I had no recourse with them since their "policy" states that refunds are only eligible 24 hours following checking in.

Do I have any recourses other than leaving a bad review? I was hoping for a refund or a partial discount as a sign of empathy from the host for the terrible experience, but they have been uncooperative throughout the stay.

In summary, the host did not provide the listing I had booked, assured us the alternative would be livable, but it wasn't. Here are some of the main issues that arose during the 10 night stay:

The unit was not fit for living (the staircase wasn't done, there were multiple sockets that weren't complete, a washroom faucet wasn't installed, the laundry wasn't installed until three days before the end of the stay, there was little in terms of dishes or anything to cook with, no toiletries were provided).

Someone walked into the bedroom on the first night through the security door unannounced, the host later said they had forgotten to lock the security door.

There was no water in the unit for three days, the host claiming the city had not notified them, which I since found out is not true and that notices had been sent out in July about water cut-offs the week I was there. On the second day without water, the only help from the host was to drop a jug of water after I asked when the water would be back on. We ended up going to a nearby gym twice daily to use the showers.

The drain in the shower did not work for the two last days of our stay.

The host threatened to call the cops on us without warning during a friendly gathering that ended around 10PM on a Friday (the rules simply said no loud noise after 11PM). This seemed like some type of retaliation for us having complained via Airbnb.

The host also repeatedly communicated by SMS and calls rather than on Airbnb, though I have a good history on Airbnb on SMS.

I called AirBnb mid way through the stay after the water was cut off, and Airbnb said I had no recourse with them since their "policy" states that refunds are only eligible 24 hours following checking in and that I need to resolve any issues with the host directly.

As a side not, I'm a Super Host and I've also been using Airbnb as a guest for 6 years. I'm also a recent shareholder of the company. This is making me question maintaining any type of contact with the company given the lack of support during this stay.

Thank you for your help!

13 Replies 13
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Patrick2233  Obviously unacceptable. However, as a host yourself, you should be aware that the protocol when a guest arrives to find the rental not as advertised, is to first notify the host, and if they can't, or won't remedy the situation, you contact Airbnb, cancel, and leave. Continuing to stay and then expecting a refund after the fact isn't the way it works.

And the "friendly gathering"- you mean more people were invited over who weren't on the booking? That's also not okay, regardless of the "quiet hours".

That said, this host should be suspended if he is not providing what his listing says he is, or doing bait and switch. No water, for more than a very brief period  of time, is, of course, completely unacceptable, whether it is like that in the first 24 hours or happens 2 days into the stay.

From the answer you were given by Airbnb, this makes me suspect this was one of those listings run by a property management company with scores or hundreds of listings, which Airbnb seems to let get away with these things, as they bring in so much revenue. Because normally small-time hosts get suspended for complaints like this, and guests given refunds.

All I can suggest is that you don't take what the  CS rep you talked to as the last word, and be persistent if you feel that's worth your time. These days you can be told 5 different things by 5 different reps and an original decision often gets overturned if you pursue it.

Patrick2233
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

@Sarah977  Thanks Sarah four your comments.

One thing I'd like to note is that most of the issues arose after the 24 hour check-in window (intrusion, no water, drain issue, etc.). Is there no recourse for guests in those situations? As a lawyer, there is such a concept of ongoing breaches that can amount to a material breach over a period of time, allowing for a termination of a contract, rather that one issue at the onset.

And yes, the property manager manages several units, and one was vacated after water was cut-off.

I'll try another CS rep and see if there is anything else Airbnb proposes as unfortunately the property manager refused to provide a discount or refund part way through the stay.

Thanks again for your help!

@Patrick2233  I've read many guest posts over time about these property managed listings refusing to refund for legitimate complaints. If I were a guest, I'd stay away from booking those types of listings and stay with the hands-on hosts listings, where the hosts actually take personal pride in maintaining their properties, being suitably responsive to guests, and earning good reviews.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Patrick2233  My understanding of the TOS is that if a property doesn't provide the listed amenities, especially something critical such as water/heat...that the guest is supposed to notify the host and give the host time/options to fix, and if it can't be fixed then you would cancel and get the unused days refunded.  I'm surprised airbnb wouldn't refund you, since I know from this forum that people have been given 50% refunds for this such as weak wifi, so no refund at on on absence of water seems out of the ordinary.

@Mark116  as @Sarah977  said, it seems it was an agency / property manager , they can get away with everything.

@Patrick2233 I was completely sympathetic and rooting for you until you got to that "friendly gathering" bit. And I'm not sure exactly where it fits in the timeline, but it sure does sound like you had unregistered guests in the apartment without the host's explicit permission. So on the one hand, the home is so unlivable that you feel entitled to "recourse," but on the other hand it was suitable enough for you to invite other people who you didn't book and pay for to join you in it.

It can't be both.

Sounds to me like both you and the host screwed up big time, so you might as well call it even, give each other honest reviews, and move on. 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Patrick2233 I second @Anonymous. You list a lot of issues that certainly aren't acceptable for a host and then say oh, btw, I threw a party at this uninhabitable place. No big. 

Wrong. If there's any truth to your description of the space, both you and the host need to examine your understanding of the ABB relationship. I'm frankly really surprised that you would think its okay to have extra guests in the first place,  let alone invite them to a space that you basically describe as less hospitable than a tent. Both you and your host need a remedial course in how to behave.  

Patrick2233
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

@Laura2592 and @Anonymous : Thanks for your comments. Am I missing something here? The place was a two bedroom, 1200 square foot condo with a dining room table for 8. We confirmed four guests would stay but given the lack of amenities, we were only two. Are you saying the implied rule is that no visitors whatsoever are welcome? Note the rules did not mention no guests were allowed, simply that no noise was allowed after 11. Whenever I rent out my condo with space for dinner parties, etc., I never expect my guests not to be able to host or bring anyone over.

@Patrick2233 I think you need to brush up on some hosting etiquette yourself,  and certainly guest etiquette. 

ABB claims that no parties of any kind are allowed. That means no gatherings, dinner soirees, get togethers, keggers, Bachelorette parties, birthday balls, etc etc. None. Spend some time on this forum.  Hosts are adamant that guests understand that when they book for a certain number those are the only people who have access to their space. Its a liability issue,  a clean up issue,  a safety issue and a common decency issue. If I'm invited to stay at someone's home I don't bring 5 additional people.  If I'm setting up home for a guest,  I don't leave resources for the maximum allowable number but for the number of people who are booked. Period.  Many hosts charge fees over a certain number of guests  as well. Capacity counts are not a suggestion. Booking numbers mean that is the number of people you can expect to be at your space.  Full stop. 

If you are handling your own listing in a more laissez Faire fashion expect that eventually something will go amiss. The uninvited unbooked guest will cause damage and the others will refuse to pay. The max number of people will be exceeded with a huge cleaning bill. Or heaven forbid someone gets hurt and takes legal action.  Airbnb will not support you in this situation if the guest is not registered. What happens if a random hookup of your guest does something illegal in your space? Or your listing is reported for violation of the party ban? ABB tends to shut down first and ask questions later. 

But getting back to your stay I would have asked you to leave if you had s gathering with unregistered guests. So if the host was bad but allowed you to stay after that, I'd say you are even. 

@Patrick2233  Many, many listings, including ours, have rules against anyone not on the reservation being allowed on the property.  But, not all do.

@Mark116 but ABB has a "party ban" across all listings. We don't know how many people were at this gathering @Patrick2233 had. Could be something that would fit that description.  At any rate, it's amazing to me that he seems very unaware of how a host might view this especially given his complaints about the space. And he mentions a legal background. Seems like he would understand the liability possibilities involved as well. 

@Patrick2233  Yes, you are missing something. It isn't okay to invite more people over than were on the booking, without the express permission of the host. It isn't your home, it's a place you booked short term and paid for a specific number of people. It isn't a long term lease rental where of course you can have family and friends over, or even have them stay.

I asked you about this "friendly gathering" in my first post where I also sympathized with the lack of water and the bait and switch, but you conveniently ignored that.

You might allow guests to invite others over for parties or gatherings, but you are in the vast minority. 

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

moved to questionable as requested by the OP