The Joys of Gardening

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

The Joys of Gardening

Our garden is going through it annual mid summer slump at the moment!

The Rose area (rear left) had its first bloom and will be out flowering again in about a month.

The lilly garden has had it for the year, new shoots will come up again after Christmas.

The Antirrhinums ('Snap dragons' centre of photo) have been dead headed and in a few weeks will be full of color again.

The Geraniums and Petunias are taking a bit of a breather, and the Daisies and Lobelia are about the only things maintaining colour at the moment!

IMG20201212191212 stiched 2.jpg

This is actually 3 photos that I have stitched together and photoshoped a bit, hence the odd looking brick paving joints in a couple of spots and slightly 'fish-eye' appearance.

Our garden is our trump card though, guests just love it...that is the guest cottage on the right, BBQ area on the left with a night lit market umbrella and chairs around a fire feature in the centre rear!

It's a quiet peaceful environment and I can't calculate how many hours have been spent with the most wonderful people from all over the world. Some nights we don't get around to eating until 9.30-10.00pm. It's as though the garden revitalises us.

I am currently working on another area that involves concrete chairs and lots of crazy paving. It's in another part of the garden surrounded by trees and will offer another dimension to my hosting.

I feel so fortunate that I have been able to gravitate to such a great lifestyle in my latter years, I just hope there is a good few more of them left.

Cheers........Rob

11 Replies 11
Bronwyn38
Level 10
Wandandian, Australia

I have loved the photos you have shared of your place @Robin4 , both last year's and this. I would love to stay at your place when I visit my dad some time (Victor H) as he's not as pet friendly as I would wish and it can spoil a long awaited reunion...!!! I certainly appreciate a B and B that offers a lovingly tended garden, it's definitely not wasted on me as a guest. We stay at - on average - 8 different B and B's on our annual road trip up to Qld, which of course this year has not happened, but I like to check out other Airbnb pet friendlies, and have found some little gems along the way in 3 such trips so far (plus a couple I would not ever plan to stay at again....!), and also a wonderful place at Hay en route to Adelaide last year! Keep up the good work, and I hope we will meet in the not too distant future, as host and guest!

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Robin4 , its a beautiful world you have created and keep improving on, very inspirational.    I'm nearing retirement soon (2 years).  Bearpath Lodging has accelerated reaching the dream in the last 4 years from 65+ to closer to 62, it replaces some of the income I will lose and will keep me properly occupied with projects (Barcaloungers kill more retirees than anything I know!).   Keep it up Rob and stay well, JR

@Melodie-And-John0 

Hi there JR & M, I guess I am lucky in that we did all our travelling when Ade got her MS diagnosis so, I am not in that agonising part of my life where we say, 'Shall we do up the bathroom, or go to Tahiti?'

I can just, with a totally free mind, concentrate on what we are doing here....and if I wake up and feel particularly lazy, I have Fran the housekeeper to call on and I can spend the day doing 3/4 of 9/10 of bug*er all.

But John we are putting the effort in and this year has been our best. For the past 12 months on 'Your Porter' site we have never ranked outside the top three and, most of the year we, over the 150+ listings in our area have ranked No 1. 

Your Porter rankings for last year.png

And of those weeks where we were ranked 2 or 3 are weeks I had some nights blocked either for a trip away or for a personal stay that did not register on Your Porter.

Strangely enough John, despite this years pandemic challenges this year has probably been our best! Each year Ade and I get just that bit more polished, and I have found I have had to suspend my listing from VRBO because there were just not enough dates available to make listing there worthwhile, I kept on having to knock-back their guest enquiries.

John, I think in the final analysis it doesn't matter if you are not perfect, guests understand that, they just expect that you will be the best that you can be....and if you are, they will reward you!

Cheers........Rob

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

@Robin4.

Ah it’s looking good my friend.  Love to you and Ade and Garry and I will raise a glass to you both! 🍷🍷🎄

Susan1404
Level 10
Covington, GA

@Robin4- some of your prior garden photos were inspiring to me.  I buckled down and worked on everything around my house, worked on landscaping my Airbnb cabin better, and even put in a greenhouse during the late summer as I've always wanted one.  Of course, we are now having the coldest December I can remember so I am paying dearly to heat that greenhouse.  LOL  At any rate, I love your photos and I'm happy for you in that you have had a great year despite the pandemic.  I'll put in a photo of my greenhouse - it has become my peaceful place.GREENHOUSE 11-01-2020e.jpg

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Susan1404 

Wow Susan, that's just wonderful, I bet you feel so good just being in there and nurturing your plants.

I wish I could keep my plant areas as clean and tidy as you keep yours!

I don't have a greenhouse, but I don't really need one, our climate is mild enough to get by without one. The succulents take a bit of bruising on the frosty nights but we don't get snow here and the temp doesn't often drop below 5c.

I do however have a potting shed......

IMG20180501162448.jpg

IMG20190119081239.jpg

I had guests from China in 2018, and one morning I was sitting with the guy just chatting and he suddenly said to me...."I wish I could grow something"! They lived on the 18th floor of an apartment block in Shanghai and had nowhere to cultivate plants.

I took him into the potting shed and we spent an hour with pots, mulch and cuttings and he just loved it.

Three months after they left I got a message to say they wanted to come back here and get married in the garden. They wanted their wedding photos in a real garden instead of on 'The Bund' with all the high rise buildings of Shanghai in the background.  A time was made for last February and I arranged accommodation for a wedding party of 16 but......COVID-19 intervened and the visit had to be cancelled  with much sadness all round!

Even night time brings out the nice colours in the garden

DSCN0960 b.jpg

Keep into your gardening Susan, it will reward you.

Cheers........Rob

@Robin4- right about now, I envy your mild climate.  I'm in Georgia (U.S.) and although we are mild compared to some states, December has been unusually cold.  I'm finding out just how much it can cost to heat a greenhouse!  Love your potting shed and it looks so neat and well kept.  Covid has disrupted so much of our lives and I am sorry that the wedding couldn't take place.  Tell them they can take their honeymoon at your place when it is safe to travel. 

Cynthia818
Level 2
Sequim, WA

Beautiful garden.  

@Robin4 

As always..... love your garden updates! You should try panorama (pano) mode - it's easier than stitching photos together 😀

panorama mode photo - Boracay's White Beachpanorama mode photo - Boracay's White Beach

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I love your garden and how it's like another room or a extension of your living space. As well as the joy you take in it. I've never lived where I could grow roses- the west coast of Canada is too wet and where I live in Mexico is also humid and has a long rainy season. People do grow them here, but they always get black spot and have to be sprayed for that, which I'm not into. I try to stick to things which are fairly fuss-free and suitable to the climate.

I would love nothing better than to be able to just garden all day- it never feels like work to me.

@Robin4

Laura2484
Level 10
Ohope, New Zealand

Your garden deserves to be in those glossy magazines @Robin4 . Thank you for sharing your lovely photos , I would be happy to spend an evening or two relaxing there with great company as well!

‘Happy pottering🌱