The Resolution Center - A Community Help Guide (Request or Offer Money)

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

The Resolution Center - A Community Help Guide (Request or Offer Money)

-----------------Updated June 2017--------------------

An updated version of this Community Guide is now available in two new guides, Requesting money using the Resolution Center and Sending money using the Resolution Center.

------------------------------------------------------------

I see many people asking how to refund guests, charge them for extra services, or claim against damages.  Please find below a guide on how to use the Resolution Center and the different options it offers.  If this post helps you in any way, give it a "Thumbs Up".

First, to get to the "Resolution Center", go to https://www.airbnb.ca/resolutions

You will be taken to the "Resolution Center" page with a dropdown list of your past, current, and future guests.

Resolution1.png

Choose the guest in which you wish to make a resolution with.  Then "Select a Reason" from the dropdown menu.

Depending on whether the guest is a current guest, a past guest, or a future guest, the  options change.

Options for a Current or Previous Guests:

Request money to change dates or guests

Request compensation for damages

Request payment for extra services

Address personal issues with my guest

Offer partial reimbursement

Offer money to change dates or guests

Options for a Future Guest:

Request money to change dates or guests

Request payment for extra services

Address personal issues with my guest

Offer money to change dates or guests

After you have chosen the guest and the "Reason", choose "Continue" under the "Next Steps" section to the right.

If you choose "Address personal issues with my guest", you will be taken to the Airbnb "Contact" page.

If you choose "Offer money to change dates or guests" or "Request money to change dates or guests", you will be taken to the guests reservation page where you can "Change Reservation" or "Cancel Reservation"

"Request payment for extra services" option - here you would input the amount you are requesting and you can write a message to the guest.

resolution2.png

"Offer partial reimbursement" option - here you would input the amount you are offering to reimburse and you can write a message to the guest.  You can only go up to the amount of the reservation.

resolution3.png

"Request compensation for damages" option- complete the required areas.  If you have several items damaged, you can choose "Add another item" and enter in the details for each item.  After everything is entered, choose "Done adding items".

resolution4.png

After selecting "Done adding items", you will be taken to the screen pictured below where you can enter a message for the guest.  Then choose "Send request" and the guest will have receive the request.

Resolution5.png

I hope this "How To" has helped you in some way.  If so, give it a "Thumbs Up"! 

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

47 Replies 47

Hi @Dave-and-Deb0...when I click on your link to find the post you did on how to contact Airbnb, I get an error message saying 'access denied. I don't have sufficient priviledges for the resource'. Why? What does it mean?

My guest agreed in the resolution center to pay 40 euros but the amount has not been deposited in our account. We are hoping to contact Airbnb to find out when we'll get the money.

Thanks!
lina

Jen1
Level 2
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom

I don't see how this helps me refund a 'future' guest who cancelled before check in date, I don't want any of the 4 options listed for future guest!    No personal issues, no changing of dates, just a straight refund!

Hi @Jen1,

If a future guest cancels, Airbnb handles the refund of the guest in compliance with your cancellation policy.  You do not refund them.  Seing that you have a flexible cancellation policy, the guest should receive a full refund minus Airbnb's fee.

I would refer you to these two Airbnb help documents:

1) https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/43/what-happens-if-my-guest-cancels-a-reservation

2) https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/165/how-do-i-refund-my-guest

Hope this helps

Dave

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Jen1
Level 2

Thanks for that Dave, I think my guest hasn't cancelled with airbnb, just told me.  I've now told him to cancel with airbnb so hopefully that will mean his money gets returned to him not paid to me!

@Jen1,

They should receive the money pretty quickly after cancelling if they are owed anythingn as it states, "At the time of cancellation, your guest is automatically refunded according to your cancellation policy."

Dave

David

Jen1
Level 2

Yep, it's all happened, got an email shortly after I told guest to cancel via airbnb and I was asked if I wanted him to have refund.  So all sorted.  Thanks for your help Dave, much appreciated.

Does the hosts receive any money back for the cancellation if they did not refund the entire amount?  Please advise.

Thanks

Deatria

Deatria0
Level 2
Washington, DC

Hi Dave,

I had a long term guest cancel because one of the students were having surgery.  She canceled in 3 monthns in advance and I wanted her to get a full refund.  She recommended that I keep $200.00 from the payment.  They paid $2150 and I put in the reimbursement for $1950.  What happens to the $200.00?  Please advise.

Thanks

Deatria

Hi @Deatria0,

I saw your other post and started to respond but I could not be certain exactly how this would work.  I believe I know but it would be best to contact Airbnb on this.  The way I see it, when she cancels, she will receive a partial refund from Airbnb, dependant on the long term cancellation policy and I am not sure if she will receive more since you also reimbursed her.  Airbnb handles all refunds for cancellations.  What I am trying to say is Airbnb may have already refunded her two months and you may only need to reimburse her 1 month if this is what you intend to do.

You are still entitled to 28 days of pay if you want it but I understand that you are willing to forgive this due to the circumstances. 

Take a look at this Airbnb article on cancelling long term bookings: https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/286/can-a-guest-alter-or-cancel-a-long-term-reservation 

Here is how to contact Airbnb: https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Tips-Tricks/Contact-Airbnb-A-How-To-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

Please let me know how you made out.

Cheers

Dave

David

Vicki6
Level 1
Moshannon, PA

Thanks!  I appreciate the step by step directions, let's see how this goes!

Sarajo0
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Thank you Deb and Dave!

Sarajo

Jennifer64
Level 3
Long Beach, NY

Regarding: "Request payment for extra services" option - here you would input the amount you are requesting and you can write a message to the guest.

ie. fee for dogs

Once the reservation is closed, Do you then add the requested fee to the reservation? Or has it been processed?

I accepted however, I do not see that additioanl amount on the reservation or a separate reciept/bill.

Please help.

Thanks.

I am very curious to know the answer to this as well. I made a request for extra services/payment, and accepted the guests 'counter offer' (which was the same amount as my request), and now on the resolution center 'current status' page it says "payment successfully processed". So is that coming out of the security deposit? And if so, how long should that take? The Help page answer only makes it sound like "damages" will come from the deposit, and anything else is "additional payment". 

My guest has now messaged to say "how do I make this payment?" and I have no idea what to say. I assumed they would have recieved a message saying $xx.xx is coming from their deposit.

Help! Thanks!

Debbie25
Level 2
Townsend, TN

Thanks, very helpful! I couldn't figure out how to charge a pet fee

Debbie

Rita42
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

Is this info on partial refunds current? When I go to the resolution center, there is no drop-down menu of past, present and future guests--only the future guests. I'm trying to provide a partial refund for my guests, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do this. Thank you.