The old "extra guests" chestnut

The old "extra guests" chestnut

Here we go again with that time old trick that guests like to play.

I have 2 guests who messaged 2 days before arrival to tell me they were worried about Covid and they'd like to cancel but they'll lose all their money and they can't afford this, they're students.  Well, firstly it's not their money any longer, it becomes the hosts money if they cancel less than 7 days before check-in, however, students, maybe not the brightest.

Upon learning there's no refund, they decide to come and whilst they're not the tidiest, it matters not, they're on holiday albeit worried about Covid.

On day 4, still worried about Covid they bring some friends for a swim in my pool.

I contact Airbnb and tell them that the guest is breaking the Terms of Service - 2.4 Reservations for Experiences and Other Host Services "Except where expressly authorized, you may not allow any person to join a Host Service unless they are included as an additional guest during the booking process."

The reply, "Oh no Sir, that's not the case, if they bring more people you can just charge them if you want"

They went on to tell the guest "Contractually, if it is not prohibited in the internal regulations, you were entitled to do so."  The guest was French so I assume "internal regulations translates house rules"

That's not what the Terms of Service states.

This is very interesting, they told the guest that if my house rules don't state that additional people may not be brought to the accommodation, then it's ok.  When challenged, they said that the Terms of Service doesn't say what it says, however, if I wanted, they would cancel the reservation because the guest broke my house rules, which as it happens, does prohibit extra people being brought to the accommodation.

So there you have it, the Terms of Service are optional and don't state what they state. Clearly Airbnb feels it is appropriate to interpret the rules as it wishes and all of this was delivered by an agressive customer "service" person who was more interested in telling me that I was wrong and what I should do to "educate" the guest.

This from a company that up until a few weeks ago, had us running around in masks and washing unused crockery and so on and so forth in case we had our reservations cancelled for not complying with meaningless regime, all in the name of protecting our guests.  When the boot is on the other foot however..............

Perhaps it's a timely warning to ensure that house rules are up to date and hosts aren't left high and dry - again.

17 Replies 17
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Customer services advised you incorrectly. In your situation I wouldn't have even contacted them about it. Just reminded the guests that in line with the conditions they booked under only guests who have booked and paid could be at your listing and that they needed to ask the people they had invited to leave immediately or face having their booking cancelled. @Cave0 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Cave0  You quoted the TOS for Experiences to customer service, not the TOS for Accommodations, so Customer Service told you you were wrong.  The paragraph for Accommodations reads:

2.3 Accommodation Reservations. An Accommodation reservation is a limited license to enter, occupy and use the Accommodation. The Host retains the right to re-enter the Accommodation during your stay, to the extent: (i) it is reasonably necessary, (ii) permitted by your contract with the Host, and (iii) consistent with applicable law. If you stay past checkout, the Host has the right to make you leave in a manner consistent with applicable law, including by imposing reasonable overstay penalties. You may not exceed the maximum number of allowed Guests.

If your maximum is 4, and two guests invite two friends over for a visit, they haven't exceeded the maximum number of guests.  However, in the Help Articles, you will find, among others, "What's Expected of Guests" (https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/3053/whats-expected-of-guests), which includes:

• Disrespecting the reservation agreement: Guests must abide by the standards set by Hosts for each reservation as long as the standards are not inconsistent with Airbnb policies. This includes but is not limited to: check-in and check-out times, number of guests, permissibility of pets or smoking, and other Host rules agreed upon at the time of booking.

If your listing states "no visitors," the last sentence applies.  But it's not in the Terms of Service.  So, as @Helen3 notes, and as CS told you, all you had to do was either kick them out or charge them for extra people.

Obviously the TOS for Experiences is different because most Experiences charge by the person enrolled.

Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Helen3 

"...

The Airbnb Platform offers an online venue that enables users (“Members”) to publish, offer, search for, and book services. Members who publish and offer services are “Hosts” and Members who search for, book, or use services are “Guests.” Hosts offer accommodations (“Accommodations”), activities, excursions, and events (“Experiences”), and a variety of travel and other services (collectively, “Host Services,” and each Host Service offering, a “Listing”).

..."

Is "Accommodations" a "Host Service"?

Ricardo

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

Helen @744 ! our listing states 'no parties and all airbnbs are "no parties at the moment so that should cover it. no ?

@Ann72 

You are of course quite right Ann72 and the relevant information is in 2.3.

I questioned the definition of "maximum number of allowed guests.

Here's the response:

2.3 definition.png

However, this doesn't address the issue that Airbnb told the guest that, unless the house rules forbade it, she could bring extra people.

"Contractually, if it is not prohibited in the internal regulations, you were entitled to do so."

The clarification of 2.3 by Airbnb would suggest that the guest was misinformed, as indeed was I when I contacted Airbnb initially.

In any event, I thought it might be interesting to see that consistency doesn't seem to be a strong point and the messages vary depending upon who picks up the phone at Airbnb.

Their language varies so much @Cave0 it gives them and the guests all sorts of loopholes.  And of course, when we or CS reads these vague statements, we can each bring our own interpretation, which results in conflict and inconsistency as you have noted.

"The maximum number of allowed Guests":  If they really mean "the number of guests who booked," they should say "registered guests."

As @Ricardo85 points out, a Host Service may be an Experience or it may be an Accommodation.  So in fact you are right Cave in this interpretation because it tells Guests they may not allow anyone to join them unless they were included during the booking process.  That in turn gives you the right to charge for extra guests or to alter the reservation to include them.  Or to bar the registered guests from having other people over.

The language goes on with its vague inconsistencies by dumping a lot of into "Guest Expectations," outside the Terms of Service.  Expectations are not enforceable and most guests don't read them.

It's all so Kafka-esque!

To sum up,

1. Airbnb is a circus.

2. House rules rule. Use them well, to cut through the crap.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Cave0 @Colleen253 

1. Don't use Airbnb support. Just avoid it. It's more frustration than it's worth. 

2. Colleen is spot on. 

3. Without the weight of Airbnb on your side, you *must* develop diplomatic backbone. It starts with Colleen's #2.

Guests don't always realise that you don't really have Airbnb on your side. Show them the house rules, and let them know that if Airbnb finds out, they'll be in for a world of hurt. But you don't want to do that to them, because you know they didn't mean to break the rules. But you can, if they continue 🤨

@Elaine701 "world of hurt"  Love it. If only, lol 🤣 It's so true, contacting Airbnb for anything is usually just inviting more trouble.

Agree totally, inviting Airbnb is inviting more problems.  They just never seems to have a clear answer or able to resolve an issue to any situation,   this can be extremely  frustrating at times for example how to handle a person who books using another persons name.  so when they turn up they play as if they  are the person who made the reservation and will be staying.  This can be a very dangerous situation, the right guest to the right name should only be allowed in the space.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

there's a new help article about being a good guest/good host @Emilia42 linked it the other day... doesn't it exactly say "don't bring extra people"?

@Ann72 is right, it's a feature, not a bug that the language is confusing, so @Colleen253 is right, your rules must be crystal clear

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Cave0 

This piece in the help articles is good to know and refer to 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1515/when-guests-want-to-bring-more-people

When a guest asks to squeeze in a few more friends, you have a few options. If you can accommodate the larger group, send your guest a trip change that includes the additional cost per night for the extra guests. 

If you’re unable to accommodate the larger number of guests, let your guest know that your place isn’t the right fit for their group, and ask them to cancel their reservation. They’ll be refunded according to your cancellation policy. 

@Elena87  this is the problem. ABB SHOULD say: "When a guest asks to squeeze in a few more friends,  you have a few options. You can report them to Airbnb Customer Support who will cancel the reservation penalty-free for the host and assist the guest with finding an space to fit their new, larger numbers. If you can accommodate the guests, send you guest a trip change or ask them to initiate one so that your additional guest fees can be collected. If a party arrives with more guests than disclosed at any time during the reservation process, Airbnb will cancel the stay and assist the guest with another accommodation that better fits their needs."