The sofa bed "does not close as easily as before I stayed there" and I'm supposed to pay for subjective damage?

The sofa bed "does not close as easily as before I stayed there" and I'm supposed to pay for subjective damage?

I wrote a great review for what I though was an awesome stay in Spokane, WA last week. Then the host emailed me on Christmas Eve to tell me he is filing a claim against me for hidden damages. Scrooge now claims I bent the frame on a sofa bed and the sofa bed "does not close as easily as before I stayed there". 

Background: During booking, I confirmed the sofa bed was there and that my son would be sleeping on it. Prior to check out, I received an email stating I should not strip the beds or put the bed up. I was told to leave them for the cleaners. I now realize what a scam this was! I had already notified the host I was using the bed, then he said not to put the bed back...and I should pay for the subjective assessment of how easy it is to close a sofa bed?

They said I should have told them there was damage, but I would not know what they think is "easy" to close, so how would I have notified them? The host knew I was flying and from out of town, so they know I am not in town to actually see this so-called damage. "I have pictures of the damage.", claims the host, but there is no way for me to tell if the damage was there before I stayed. I am beyond frustrated with this Christmas Eve con man. This was my first and very likely, my last experience with Airbnb. 

1 Reply 1
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kristine242  Sorry this happened. Rest assured this host doesn't represent the way most hosts behave.

If I were in your shoes, I would message the host back, "Gee, Merry Christmas to you, too. We did nothing to damage your sofa bed. My son slept on it, as I had told you he would- no one jumped on it or abused it in any way, and we left it open as we were instructed to. If it "does not close as easily as it used to", has it occurred to you that maybe it needs a squirt of WD40 in the moving parts?"

Then forget about it and ignore any subsequent messages from the host if they get nasty.