Uniting locals and tourists in a French village

Marielle135
Host Advisory Board Member
Châtillon-en-Dunois, France

Uniting locals and tourists in a French village

Hosts play an important role in creating a more connected world, especially during a particularly lonely time. This series explores how Hosts can help revitalize places. Host Advisory Board members Claudia from Italy, Marielle from France, and Rie from Japan share their perspectives. Learn more about the Host Advisory Board

Although I was born and raised in Paris, my heart belongs to the people and stories of the village where my family spent weekends and holidays during my childhood. I’ve traveled to many countries and been away from home for many years, but I always returned to my true home, the village of Châtillon-en-Dunois two hours outside Paris. 

I’ve seen the world change so much over the course of 50 years. And while technology has enabled us to keep in touch virtually, our reality can sometimes feel as if it is fading away. In Châtillon-en-Dunois , I am able to live by the daylight instead of the clock.

A traditional event for France’s July 14th  holiday in the ‘90s in the center of the village.A traditional event for France’s July 14th  holiday in the ‘90s in the center of the village.

Villages have a lot to teach us. I believe that to know where you are going you have to know where you began. But as much as I love living with my extended family in our village, I’ve also missed traveling. It can be a bit lonely living in a little village after seeing so much of the world. This is why I jumped at the opportunity to host on Airbnb. I see it as an opportunity to bring the world to my village.

The view from my garden in the French countryside.The view from my garden in the French countryside.

Cherry harvesting with a friend.Cherry harvesting with a friend.

At first, the locals were a bit perplexed by the strangers who stayed with us. But more than 10 years and hundreds of bookings later, the people in my village now see our guests as visitors instead of strangers. They look out for them and help when they need directions.

Our neighbors no longer wonder why people are coming to Chatillon. They realize it has a certain draw if people are coming from places as far away as New York, and it makes them proud of their village. The kids play with our guests, and they talk to one another in their own unique ways, even when they don’t speak the same language.

Young guests from Paris gave their food scraps to the neighbor chickens and left with fresh eggs.Young guests from Paris gave their food scraps to the neighbor chickens and left with fresh eggs.

It’s a gift for our guests, too. They come here for peace and quiet but end up really enjoying talking to the neighbors. Guests often ask about the villagers’ day-to-day lives, like how they grow their vegetables and feed their chickens.

There may be fewer people to interact with in small villages like mine, but I’ve come to learn it’s not about the quantity of people you interact with, but the quality of interactions you have with those people that counts. Having these unexpected encounters can help all of us feel less lonely.

As a Host, the best thing I’ve heard from a guest was when someone who stayed for a month  said, “It was great—we felt human.” Is there any better compliment?

Thanks to hosting on Airbnb, I don't feel lonely anymore. For me, the best part of hosting is when someone arrives as a guest and leaves as a friend.

Fellow 2023 Host Advisory Board member Tatiya visited France in the year 2023 and stayed in one of my listings.Fellow 2023 Host Advisory Board member Tatiya visited France in the year 2023 and stayed in one of my listings.

Read Claudia and Rie’s articles here: 

Do you have similar experiences to share? How do you think your actions as a Host can impact regrowth?

11 Replies 11
Linda4027
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Dear @Marielle135 ,

Thank you for sharing this. I know just how you feel about childhood memories although for me my childhood memories were in Cornwall by the sea.  I am now busy making new memories as we have lived in Oxford for over thirty years. We were ex pats for a while but dropped anchor here rather than sending our boys to boarding school.  A decision we have not regretted.

We own a small pretty house in Headington which is a bustling suburb of Oxford.

Our house was bought for our family. We are blessed with two sons a beautiful Dutch daughter in law and a three year old grand daughter. Every time she stays she calls it the house in the forest!

We Airbnb our house and like you were have met some wonderful travellers. Yes, some are non English speakers. I always feel communication and kindness are often just felt! 

We all manage and we have had guests returning.

Keep in touch and we will too.

Warmest wishes,

Linda and family

Marielle135

Thank you @Linda4027 for your sweet message, the things that I find wonderful about the airbnb adventure is the chance we have to meet great travellers but also to get the chance to meet people like you hosts that have great stories which, without airbnb I would never have had the chance to come across. 
your story is so pretty, thank you so much for sharing.

airbnb has made the world so much smaller, and it reminds me everyday that we can believe there is always a hope to live on a perfect planet when coming across people like you…

Md-Mizanur1
Level 10
BSB, Brunei

Hi, the world now become global village since we got internet access in early 1995. 

Now we can travel virtually any place at any time but remeber we need also physical contact for more bonding with nature.

The world economy start from the village 10,000 years BC.

Sarah5000
Adelaide, Australia

Hi @Md-Mizanur1 , yes the internet access helps the world to become global village and @Marielle135 Airbnb platform helps the strangers/ travellers to discover the world by showing a unique place and warm welcome from the hosts. 

Sarah
Marielle135

@Md-Mizanur1 I agree, and as much as I love discovering places on the planet, I have to admit getting the chance to discover gems not so far that i probably would never have discovered as a tourist going to main area has made travelling even more special. I discover everytime that I am lucky not to have to go very far to feel like I am on holiday and lucky to live in a pretty part of the world! 

Rie9
Yomitan, Nakagami District, Japan

"I believe that to know where you are going you have to know where you began"

"It was great-we felt human"

I was very moved by both  your words.
They are so true!

I will be visiting your village soon.
And I want to frolic in your village like a little kid!

Marielle135

Looking forward to it @Rie9! Please come and visit, and discover my little corner of paradise ❤️

Ibrahim260
Level 2
Kampala, Uganda

Hello Great Friends here 

Thanks for all what i have read here very much interesting and i really love being with children

My many regards and do welcome you all to Uganda

Keep and stay safe

Marielle135

Thank you ibrahim, humankind is the best when the humans are prepared to share the best of their time! 😉

Thanks @Marielle135  for your great response,

You are very much right and i love sharing lots of experiences and learning from each other

In the same was i really love travelling and meeting new people and my hobby is people visiting me really makes me very much excited

YOU ARE WELCOME ALL FROM ALL OVER AND FRANCE TO UGANDA

Elena4390
Level 2
Cairo, Egypt

@Marielle135 thanks for sharing such a very very insightful stories, it is full of tips and wisdom, Thanks again