What a shambolic platform Airbnb is.

What a shambolic platform Airbnb is.

I've registered and used AirBnB for the first time over the last few days and it will be the last.

Trying to get accommodation near Le Mans for the upcoming 24 hours race and I book a house and pay the requisite 50% deposit and have the booking confirmed. 24 hours later the host cancels the booking claiming, with no reason the house is no longer available. I am told I can wait up to 15 working days for a refund. I am not the one deviating from the confirmed reservation yet am financially penalised.

So I find another house and this time pay the full £1600.00 and await confirmation of the booking. Having complained to AirBnB of the first instance I am assured the £1600.00 will not be taken from my account until the host confirms the booking. Guess what, the host declines the booking, claiming it has been rented through another platform, (how come I can reserve the place and pay if it's already rented out?) and guess what, the £1600.00 has been taken from my account. Presumably another 15 day wait for a refund although I will be talking to my bank about this on Monday and escalating this to the FCA.

What a shower of **bleep** this organisation is.

1 Reply 1
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Michael5889 

As the second reservation was never confirmed, it useally affects only the hold  placed on the payment method, please read:

Why-was-a-hold-placed-on-my-payment-method-when-i-requested-to-book-a-reservation

BTW If a host cancels a reservation, the host will be penalised by Airbnb.