When will Airbnb implement verification and quality control?

When will Airbnb implement verification and quality control?

Publicity like this is not helpful: https://thepointsguy.com/news/airbnb-issues-problems/

I ran into a similar issue in Atlanta.

19 Replies 19

@Gillian166 

Agreed about the appliances -  they are definitely not easily available for pickup here. A friend and his family had a refrigerator, a freezer,  2 washers and dryers fail in the various households over the past year and a half. It took weeks for some and months for the rest to be replaced by the store, and they delivered non functioning appliances twice, which meant more waiting time for replacements. Family members were driving all over town to do laundry, and others were busy doing it for the elderly family members. Just agreeing that finding things instantly is not so easy these days.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Christine615  it could be viewed as somewhat helpful, if it makes Airbnb stop claiming that aircover is as great as they say. If enough travellers complain about these sub-par hosts there might even be a clean-up one day, and that should benefit those of us doing the right thing. 

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Christine615 I was guilty of something similar , luckily the guest had a sense of humour . i ask people not to eat in bedrooms but of course they do . on one occaison , a child I will assume ate half of a banana and tossed the rest behind the bed , where it lodged behind the leg of the bed and was missed in the vacumning. the guest sais she would have moved it except there were no rubber gloves. you guessed it , it had gone brown and looked like a turd , a human turd. I was so embarrassed and quick to ensure that she knew it was a banana but I dont think it helped . They had a great time and were not worried and gave me a good review. But this host is not hands on and that is really what has upset the guest  I think  H

@Helen744 

Yep. That's it in a nutshell.

@Christine615@Gillian166,

I don't dispute that the place wasn't as clean as it should have been, but the main reason why I would have had declined the guest's last claim and refund request is that her refusal to allow the cleaners return to the rental went against the Air Cover requirement that guests must first allow the host the opportunity to rectify an issue.  It seems suspicious to me that a person who seems so well versed with the Air Cover policy would break one of it's primary steps before submitting a claim.  I also am not fully convinced that she found the bones on the last night of her stay, and not earlier when she said that they'd cleaned up, but decided to use their discovery as a reason for another refund later on. 

The guest stated that she slept in the room during her entire stay ("I’m haunted by the thought that I had been sleeping with bones and who knows what else.").  So, the smell wasn't so disturbing that she was unable to sleep, nor did it impact her ability to enjoy her stay ("Minifridge in place, we continued our vacation. I will say here that Montreal is lovely, and we had a great time, other than this last part.").  The discovery of the rib bones was gross, but she shouldn't be compensated for something that didn't affect her ability to enjoy the rental, because apparently the overall visible cleanliness and smell of the space was amenable enough that she was able to complete her stay.  

This is what I surmised  from the TPG article.  The guest found the rental to be not to her standards, but didn't want to pay the higher prices for the available spaces that she may have liked better ("Hotel prices were high and last-minute rentals were scarce.").  Although there was a dearth of available properties, she thought that Airbnb should put her into another property regardless of the cost, and at no additional cost to her ("The problem was that there was nowhere for us to move to from our current location. Airbnb Support sent a link to properties, many of which had their next availability in January (I was visiting the first week in August).".  She had a sense of entitlement, because instead of working with the host to correct the cleaning situation from the beginning, she felt that she should have been upgraded to a space that she was unwilling to pay for or refunded for something that didn't disrupt her stay ("It’s certainly not what I hoped for, asked for or think should have been the final outcome.").