airbnb is not following their now policy

Gerhard4
Level 6
Davenport, FL

airbnb is not following their now policy

today I received my 20th cancelation, and according airbnb policy:

Last week, we reached out with an explanation of our extenuating circumstances policy, which allows hosts and guests to cancel eligible reservations in certain circumstances without charges. We’re following up to let you know that our extenuating circumstances policy will now be applied to eligible reservations for stays and Airbnb Experiences in the U.S. booked on or before March 13, 2020, with a check-in date of April 1, 2020 or earlier.

==

arrival is late April, so would not be eligible...

any other experience this ?

9 Replies 9
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Gerhard4 maybe the guest just decided to cancel on their own. Do you know for sure that they used the extenuating circumstances policy? Either way, you wouldn't be getting a payout if they cancelled this far out.

since I have strict 30 day policies in place, and when they cancel , it will never be automatically a full refund, so even if they would be further away in canceling , it would be a 50% refund

@Gerhard4 Oh wow... that does suck, then. Did the message say it was due to the virus specifically?

no and AirBnB is not responding, have been disconnected 4 times already, have left messages, so will see when they respond

@Gerhard4 guests can use extenuating circumstances to cancel for other reasons; it's not necessarily coronavirus related.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Gerhard4 

I suspect there is one EC policy but two ways of triggering it. The first way is the blanket March 14-April 14 (dates might be wrong) and the second is the more usual illness/family etc.

Perhaps they cancelled under the latter?

mike, the dates you mention were the first dates airbnb published, the new dates are as I posted in my original post (they are copied from the airbnb email from this Monday) also when you call airbnb , the automatic message repeat the same dates. I have  super strict policy, 30 days, so what ever the reason, there would not be a refund what so ever! if there would be an illness or what ever, the travelers should refer to their travel insurance for a claim. in this case airbnb just refunded in full

I have posted some more comments about that on other places int he community forum.

my cancelation policy:

Super Strict 30 Days
50% refund up until 30 days prior to arrival
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Gerhard4 

If I go into Airbnb as a traveller I get the following:

We are now offering Guests full refunds and Hosts no-charge cancellations for reservations booked on or before 14 March with a check-in date of 14 April or earlier. Please note that this policy will not cover any new bookings.

I wonder if different countries get different messages?

Airbnbs Extenuating Circumstances has always overruled the hosts cancellation policy