airbnb suspended

Cari782
Level 2
Merrillville, IN

airbnb suspended

I am a super host and my property has been suspended with no notification or explanation given to me. i have been calling and inboxing for 4 days now with absolutely no response.  I’m at a loss in what to do? 

98 Replies 98
Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Hi @Cari782 , I'm so sorry to hear about this. I've sent it to the team now, and I hope to have an update for you soon.

Let me know if there are any developments on your side! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

thank you. I’ve felt very troubled at not being able to reach someone. Finally on 5th day of trying to get someone I received a call. I explained that there was”NO” situation, that i was ONLY inquiring about the only negative review i’ve ever received from a guest over a year ago, where they falsely noted in review that i entered the premises which was not true and I sent my security footage showing that. she was simply a disgruntle guest because i told her per my house rules , she could not host a party. I stated she could stay for her reservation but that she could not have a party. She never complained to airbnb I complained and needed up having to file a police report because she trashed my place and took my house keys. ALL i was doing was asking airbnb if they would consider removing her review NOW that I’ve done this for a year and all excellent reviews… next thing I know my account is suspended and I can’t rent. The gentleman stated Airbnb can suspend an account at any given time, but I have read through all the policies and even though it makes that comment there’s more to it, there’s a 30 day notice and/or a justifiable reason for instant suspension,  there must be a cause. and there was none, I was simply asking a question for a situation that occurred over a year ago. it had already been noted and what’s funny and disturbing is that last year when i reported this situation there was no suspension. So why is there one now, when all i did was ask a question. 

Hi @Sybe can you please help me out? Our calendars have been blocked on four properties I cohost and we are not being told why? We are superhosts and all of the properties have a great history on airbnb.

Cari782
Level 2
Merrillville, IN

Now they’ve contacted my current guest and stated they need to cancel their reservation and leave immediately because there’s been an incident 😱👀. there has NOT been, the reservation in question was from a year ago and i was the one that called about it, not the guest!  Check out this video and let me know your thoughts … i’m getting desperate, no one is returning my calls and now my suspension seems to have been extended from 6 months to now a year. 

https://youtu.be/8xBhB9xPwoQ

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Cari782 I hope your current guest has ignored the instruction to leave. It is too late for you but this does demonstrate why contacting Customer Services is a dangerous thing to do.

@Catherine-Powell I can personally attest that Airbnb Customer Services do make mistakes. Please feel free to look in my messages from Customer Services when they contacted me last year to say they were investigating the bad behaviour of my guest and that they were sorry for the offence the guest caused me. Given that we had never had a guest of that name and that no guest had ever abused me seemed irrelevant to them. 

Thank you @Mike-And-Jane0 for bringing Cari's post to my attention.

Hi @Cari782,

Thank you for your feedback. I understand why this is frustrating and realize that we can do better. I asked our teams to review your case, and they have confirmed that there was no error after their investigation and your listing should be back up.

Best,

Catherine

@Catherine-Powell Are you looking into changing the customer services behaviour of suspend first and investigate later? This approach is contrary to most countries justice systems which are based on the concept of innocent until proven guilty.

@Catherine-Powell   I appreciate that you seem to be paying more attention to the discussions in this forum as I do believe they offer a valid glimpse into broad issues at play for guests and hosts.

There has to be a way to create guidelines and protocols that do not punish hosts in this manner.  For example, if a listing is automatically suspended due to a safety complaint, then there needs to be a time limit on Airbnb's 'investigation' so hosts are not spending hours/days/weeks without a response.

Specifically, the issue of guests claiming hidden or undisclosed cameras, it seems like there should at least be a 'first pass' type of protocol where Airbnb will read the listing, or have two read it, or 1 CS and 1 supervisor read it to find out the baseline of whether or not the complained about cameras were or were  not disclosed.  Many, many hosts here have said their listings were suspended for cameras that had been disclosed in the listing and in some cases had been further mentioned in messages.  There has to be way that these cases are short listed so that factually innocent hosts are not waiting days or weeks to get their listing reinstated.

Certainly, allegations of 'hidden' cameras as opposed to 'undisclosed' cameras is a more difficult issue and would seemingly take significantly more time to determine where the weight of evidence falls.

Best of luck.

ETA, there also has to be a happy medium between protecting the privacy of a guest and giving the host sufficient details to know what they've been accused of, there are also multiple examples on this forum of people whose listings were suspended or even banned and they have said they don't know what the issue was, let alone have been offered a chance to refute any accusations.

Can you please tell me the steps you did to get the suspension off. Perhaps the better business is the way to go 

so sorry to hear you’re going through this as well, I did go through Better Business Bureau, not sure if that helped at all I also sought legal counsel and I’m still working through that. All of a sudden they unsuspended me and they told me it had to do with the cameras on my property and me supposedly going into the premises while a guess was there. Which both or false accusations. This was a horrible experience and I’m looking to leave Airbnb and go to Evolve . The Way they treated me as a super host was so disrespectful for them to even send a notice to my current guests telling them “i may have breached their policy in forced them to leave” was embarrassing and appalling and totally unnecessary. My situation occurred last year and it was because she was throwing a party which was again is in  my house rules. as far as my cameras they’re on my home house and two of them point to the guest house which is all an investment on safety not violating anybody’s rights for on privacy. There’s even a sign posted on the Airbnb house stating cameras are recording on the property as well as my posting.  they emailed, no call back personally to say they found no proof that I violated anything, i’m seeking retribution for the ability of not to rent during that time as well as making my current renters leave, and putting me through all that street. 

@Cari782  " This was a horrible experience and I’m looking to leave Airbnb and go to Evolve."

That would likely result in another horrible experience. Do a search here on "Evolve". Horrible experiences with them reported from both hosts and guests.

hi @Cari782 ,

What a nightmare!

I am currently going through the exact same scenario and have heard nothing in response from Airbnb, going on 4 days now.

Did you end up getting any retribution for the lost rent?  

How long did it end up taking for your listing to have the suspension lifted?  

Thanks,

David

Dina704
Level 2
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

same here, this is a torture!!!, all we need to know is why suspend and what they need to activate again....Airbnb has a responsibility towards the community and they must realize this is an income stream for many...they can't just suspend like this with no explanation.....what do we do???

Hello,

I'm experiencing a very similar situation. They have suspended both listing. I'm trying to get a reason for suspension.  It's been almost a month and every time I call they tell me to check my email and the case Manager will give me a call. My guest got upset because I sent a friendly reminder to not smoke or use vapor electric cigarette in the unit. She maliciously sent an inbox message stating someone being in the property and camera. She knew what would flag my listing. It's the only thing that could have caused them to suspend my listing. I wondering if they will reinstate because if they are going by what she put in my inbox it's very untrue. It's noted in listing that camera are only on the outside for the safety of the guest. I ask them if something was so bad that the guest reported why would they allow her to stay in my property if what she reported is true. This is a nightmare! Where you able to get your issue resolve with airbnb?