cancellation by Airbnb without explanation to guest or host

cancellation by Airbnb without explanation to guest or host

Yesterday (6/23/22) I received an email from Airbnb that my reservation in Toronto for 7/23/22 was cancelled with no explanation and that I would be getting a refund on my credit card within  5-7 days. I contacted my host who advised that there such cancellations all over Toronto. I called Airbnb and all they said was that the property was “under  investigation”.  My host wanted me to rebook but I am hesitant to lay out more money until May credit card is credited and without an explanation for the cancellation. I contacted another host and she advised that the same thing happened to her. Although her property was listed as available for my dates, she was waiting for her guest to rebook the date after cancelation. This is a massive screwup by Airbnb and what is worse there is a lack of transparency on their part! This has left our vacation plans in sudden disarray!

#wtf #automatic #cancellationbyairbnb #toronto #notransparency

3 Replies 3
Annie1372
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

@Robert6137 

Your host is right, AirBNB cancelled many other guest in Toronto

usually AirBNB is good to refund fully the guest when the cancellation if from the host or AirBNB themselves. I would not hesitate to rebook myself.

here is another post from yesterday on the same topic

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/AIR-Bnb-cancelled-my-trip-to-Toronto/m-p/1644214#M364114

good luck with your trip

Annie
Annie1372
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

@Robert6137 

Allo @Emilie 

could you get any info from AirBNB on this Toronto issue?

Annie

Annie

Airbnb provided no explanation at all. I called them and spoke with one of their representatives. She was very unhelpful and elusive. She made it seem like the host or the property was under investigation and that there was a privacy issue preventing her from giving more information. This increased my paranoia about the whole affair. 

This was only my second booking with Airbnb and I am fuming.   I think it it is a very risky way to plan a vacation and I am not sure I will use them again. Not worth the hassle!

As an update, the refund was credited to my account. My host promised to keep it open until 9pm tonite. I tried to rebook but couldn’t because2 of my days were already booked. I emailed him and asked him what was up. He said he thought he blocked of my time but it didn’t work and apologized. I said that I thought he could cancel within 24 hours. No response. 

I frantically searched for a new property within my price range and with my requirements. The properties literally disappeared ass I was looking at them. I finally wound up booking at a Marriott hotel after unnecessary stress