will host's potentially bad review of me go public even if i don't leave a review of the host?

Samantha1058
Level 1
New York, NY

will host's potentially bad review of me go public even if i don't leave a review of the host?

had a terrible experience recently with a host where the bed wasn't even functional. it was so bad we left a night early because of how much pain we were in. we kindly contacted the host directly to see if we can resolve this / anything that can be done and she got defensive and flat out said no, how she's a superhost, that it's our fault, etc.. so we looped in airbnb and they gave us a partial refund, which we are happy about.

however, i still want to leave a review for this "superhost" so others are aware of the situation. but i'm a bit nervous if they can find out my information, escalate to airbnb to reverse the partial refund, do something crazy, etc.

so my question is: if i forfeit reviewing the host (it's still within the 14 day period), can they still review me and would that review be public on my profile after the 14 days? aka can they accuse me of being a bad guest and then i won't even be able to defend myself after the 14 days since i didn't bother leaving a review due to the above reasons?

6 Replies 6
Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

Yes. Reviews go live when either a) both parties post their reviews or b) after 14 days if only one party writes a review.

When either a host or a guest has a bad experience with the other party, it is imperative an accurate and honest review be left. Otherwise you are rewarding the bad behavior. That which you do not condemn, you condone.

I just worry that the host would see my true feedback / review and then try to get airbnb to claw back the partial refund by making up further lies how its our fault?

@Samantha1058 there are ways to write reviews but personal attacks are not acceptable . Only problems with the listing . I have noticed another host has mentioned that you do complain in the review, but not while you are staying. The review is not about personal opinions as such, but the accuracy of the stay as compared to what is advertised.Airbnb never engage in he said /she said , or so they say . H

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

How would the host do that when both reviews are left 'blind'? @Samantha1058 

Johanna394
Level 10
Tampere, Finland

@Samantha1058 

"Reviews are only posted after a) both parties have completed theirs, or b) the 14-day period has ended—whichever comes first" 

Yes, their review of you will be published even if you do not review them back. However, you should have an option to reply to a received review (on your profile), so you can defend yourself afterwards if there are any untrue accusations.

@Samantha1058   The horse has already left the barn.

Your host already expects that a negative review from you is forthcoming. If she chooses to write a reciprocal review for you, it probably won't be a nice one either, but you will have the chance to post a public response to it.

If your partial refund was granted by an Airbnb mediator, that decision was final and there's nothing the host can do to reverse it.