An update on changes to the Strict cancellation policy

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

An update on changes to the Strict cancellation policy

Hello everyone,

We recently announced that we’re updating our Strict cancellation policy. Starting May 1, 2018, guests will have the option to cancel for free within 48 hours of booking, as long as their check-in date is at least 14 days away.

In response to this announcement, many of you voiced concerns about Airbnb sharing your details with guests who may cancel. We take your privacy very seriously, so thank you for that feedback—it inspired important updates that give you more control over when your listing details and contact information are shared with guests.  

Here’s how we’re addressing your concerns

You can choose not to share your address, phone number, and last name with guests during the period that they can cancel for free. Guests will never see these details if they cancel their reservation during the free cancellation window.

To use this feature, go to Listing > Listing details > Edit location in your Airbnb account. Under Visibility for booked guests, check the box next to Share details with guests after the free cancellation period.  

Grace Period.png

This feature will be available to all hosts on May 1, regardless of their cancellation policy (Strict, Flexible, Moderate). And just in case you missed the announcement, here’s what’s changing for hosts who have a Strict cancellation policy:

• Guests will get a full refund if they cancel within 48 hours of booking, as long as their check-in date is at least 14 days away. This means that even if a guest books a reservation months in advance, they’re only able to get a full refund if they cancel within the first 48 hours after booking.  
  • Guests can only get 3 full refunds per year. After that, guests will no longer be able to cancel for free.
  • To discourage guests from making multiple reservations for the same dates and then cancelling, overlapping reservations aren’t eligible for a full refund.

This change helps hosts with a Strict cancellation policy compete with listings that offer guests more flexibility. Guests feel more confident booking reservations that give them room to make changes or fix booking mistakes immediately. The updated policy gives guests this flexibility, but only for 48 hours after they book.

Airbnb is committed to the success of all hosts and we know changes impact how you work. We don’t make changes like these without extensive testing, and after we change the policy on May 1st, we’ll continue to monitor the impact by providing the grace period to a portion of guests before making it available to all guests. As we roll this out, we’ll continue to listen to your valuable feedback.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

233 Replies 233

@Lizzie

Thanks for the update....

"Guests can only get 3 full refunds per year." ...so that stays for now ..no change on that one

Hosts may wish to manually hide their WiFi password too (if you have completed that box ) , until the 48 hours has been completed.

Could that Wifi Password be automatically hidden as well, along with the address,surname,phone number ?

I am agree to Strict cancellation policy

Sheree10
Level 2
Behring Point Settlement, The Bahamas

I am a small host so a strict cancellation policy protects my business and the host.  Can't wait for the business to pick up.

@Lizzie

I just checked my listing for this feature, and it wasnt there...when does it become live?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Mike340,

Thanks for checking about this. This new feature will be available starting May 1. 

Please do keep an eye on this. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Please tell me how I can become Super Strict as a host as I cannot afford to hold my apt. for a new tenant for one month only to have them cancel within two weeks of a booking.

I agree with you that the cancellation policy should be more strict.  It is very difficult to re-book as people plan their vacations far in advance.  If you make a reservation and decide to cancel there should be no refund.

I just called:  2 requirements:  more than 6 listings (!) and professional management.  It will take a mass exodus of hosts from airbnb for them to care about those of us with one or two listings.  When do we start?

Mohammed96
Level 2
Choeng Thale, Thailand

Hi. I want this strict policy for all my listings but I can't upload it or find it.  Kindly guide me to do this and if Airbnb can make it for me. THANKS

Owners 

Ann10
Level 10
New York, NY

@Lizzie-We still do NOT want the change. Didn't they hear that part? I didn't have any problem getting booked before. I don't need help competing w other listings. If I needed help, I would help myself. I've always been fully booked. In fact when I wasn't, there was a note on my listing that said, RARE FIND. I need "help" from Airbnb like I need a hole in the head. 

Thank you for your help! I know it's not your fault!

When I checked STRICT it's because I cannot afford to have someone book and then cancel  two weeks before the booking. 

I am NOT happy with this policy and I agree with Ann I do NOT want the change. Strict should mean strict. My apt is also booked.

How can I become a SUPER STRICT host?

I agree with Jessica - 2 weeks is way too close to the rental. Not fair to the Host who has all of the skin in the game. 

Not only do I disagree with Airbnb cancellation policy, but I have also decided to use HomeAway this year instead for my three Key West oceanfront 1-week timeshare rentals in Jan, 2020 at a luxury resort. 

Why? Because I too would be unable to find a renter after a last minute cancellation when prospective renters have already  made plans and booked flights. You need a fairer policy for hosts. Perhaps....

-60 days before Checkin—free cancel (100%)

-30 days before Checkin—50% money back

That will afford some time to replace the income or at least gain something for the late cancellation. This is also more fair to hosts who provide the product which you market on your platform. You need to adjust policy to be fairer to your hosts. Or more will choose to move to other platforns which don’t slant benefits so much in the direction of renters. But then you may not worry if few decide to walk as I have done.

My 3 prime oceanfront timeshare weeks are useless if I get a cancellation say 2-3 weeks prior to Checkin. I would lose the income—Maybe rent a couple cheap rate nights with more cleaning fees at best. So I won’t use Airbnb. This despite your outstanding, easy to use platform and good service.  Let me know when policy is fairer to hosts and I’ll return.

Barry118
Level 2
Surbiton, United Kingdom

Read what the rule says... guests can only cancel within 48 hour of making the booking AND only if there is more than 14 days before the check in date. I bet you will have very few people canceling within this period unless they have made a genuine mistake with the dates and they will most likely re-book immediately with the correct dates. The other safeguard is that they cannot book more than one property with overlapping dates and then cancel one.