Update: June 19th 1PM San Francisco time, 9pm UK time - The Live Q&A has now ended.

Thank you very much for joining, the session has now ended. Over the next few days we will post a topic with all the questions and answers from today’s Q&A here in the CC, so you have them to hand.

Hello everyone,

Welcome to the Live Q&A session!

You may have seen our recent announcement telling you what this is all about, however as a quick recap, this is a live Q&A for our global community members with a member of the Airbnb team.

This is very exciting as it will be the first time we run a live Q&A in the Community Center. During the event on June 19th you will have the opportunity to be ask your questions to Airbnb’s Director of Product; Donna Boyer.

Donna

Here is some information about Donna:

Donna, is a self-confessed product geek obsessed with building smart technology. Donna started out at Harvard Business School where she researched the global economic impact of technology innovations. For over 20 years, she has focused on how to empower product teams to bring beauty and outstanding user experience into the digital world, leading product at Hyperion Solutions, Yahoo!, RMG Networks, Callaway Digital Arts and Blurb. At Airbnb, she leads the product team focused on the host experience. In addition to being an Airbnb Superhost, Donna is a mother of two and serves on the board of Girls in Tech, a non-profit focused on the engagement, education and empowerment of girls and women who are passionate about technology.

So how will this work?

The Q&A session will start at 12pm, PST/ 3PM EST/ 8PM BST on June 19th and it will be last for an hour. As soon as the session starts, hosts from throughout the Airbnb Community can post their questions to Donna in this thread. Donna will answer as many questions as she possibly can with the help of our team. You can post questions in these specific languages (English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish) and our community managers will translate the questions (when they are not in English) so Donna can answer..

This thread is closed for new posts at the moment and it will open for your questions a few minutes before the session is due to start.

I am sure there will be lots of questions, so to make it easier for everyone taking part, we have created some handy guidelines to make sure the event runs smoothly and to maximise the number of questions we can answer.

Live Q&A Guidelines:

• Please, ask your questions here in this thread, otherwise we will not be able to see them and Donna will not receive them
  • You can ask several questions, but please try to ask only one question per post, this will help Donna to follow all of the questions being asked
  • Keep in mind the Community Center mentality, be respectful of the interviewee, members and their questions
  • We will answer as many questions as possible, however it may not be possible to answer everyone so please don’t post the same question repeatedly. This will not increase the chances of it being replied
  • Questions should be related to Donna’s role at Airbnb, this is a great opportunity to ask a senior member of the team questions so lets make the most of the time she's going to spend with us
  • During the session, Donna will be able to answer questions asked in English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish with the help of the Community Managers across the six Community Center languages
  • Try and summarize your question as much as possible, this will save us time and allow for Donna to answer even more of your questions. You can formulate your questions before the Live Q&A session begins and post them once it starts

We look forward to seeing your questions and really hope you enjoy the Live Q&A.

Thank you,

Lizzie

Lese diesen Beitrag auf Deutsch:

Leia este tópico Portuguese:

Leggi questa discussione in italiano:

Lisez ce message en français:

Lee este hilo en Español:

238 Replies

Re: [Start: June 19th, 12PM PT] Live Q&A with Donna Boyer, Director of Product

in
Calabria, Italy
Level 2

@ Till and Jutta

Sorry

in
Calabria, Italy
Level 2

@ Donna Boyer

MOST IMPORTANT

The experiences project is not accessible in most countries and cities to hosts that are ready to offer a special living experience. Why?

in
Calabria, Italy
Level 2

LAST QUESTION

@ Donna Boyer

Why hosts that have many positive comments are not highly ranked or at least you do not put a link in filters HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

in
Las Condes, Chile
Level 2

Why any of my questions or mails were answered? 

in
Bilbao, Spain
Level 2

Hola Donna, muchas gracias por tu disponibilidad. 

Esta mañana a las 8:00AM en la calle en la que yo tengo mi casa, puesta en alquiler en airbnb, para los meses de verano, he visto una carta del ayuntamiento, en la que se anuncia, que comienzan unas obras para cambair las aceras, la semana próxima, y su duración será mínimo de 4 meses.

Yo gestiono como anfitriona, otros dos apartamentos en Bilbao. 

He pensado en enviar un mensaje a todos mis huéspedes, ofreciéndoles

1. un descuento de un 20% en el precio de alquiler

2. alojarse en otra de las casa que estoy completando su anuncio ahora, pero que en teoría tendría unprecio mucho mayor, a                   menos precio. Un intermedio entre lo que tienen ahora, y el precio de salida de este nuevo apartamento. Lo que les supondría un incremento de un 30% del precio que tienen actualmente 

in
Bilbao, Spain
Level 2

Sorry, my request was done already...mistake!

in
Castries City, Saint Lucia
Level 2

Hello airbnb,

Thats my most recent experience and I hope airbnb can address it and hope it doen not happen again; I submit one rate but the confirmed rate to the customer is lower than what i submitted. the frustrating thing is I cannot get to contact airbnb direct with my queries so that it gets addressed. The help centre is not for that kind of problem solving, so I feel stuck with lower rates than I expect.

I do not wnat this to happen again,its frustrating and a loss for me

sophia brokeside vacation home

in
New Zealand
Level 2

Hi Air BnB just wondering when I will get a reply from someone.  As mentioned my listing is getting calculated as my nightly rate for entire stay this is only happening with international enquiries.  Can someone please let me know how to fix.  Thanks Christine

in
New Zealand
Level 2

HI Donna

I am having problems with my pricing when it comes to people booking outside of NZ.  Nightly rate is $85 but all international enquiries have come back saying it's calculating $85 for the entire stay?  Not sure what I have done incorrectly but local enquiries seem fine.  Appreciate your help. Regards Christine

Airbnb Classic

in
Stuttgart, Germany
Host Advisory Board Member

Dear Donna, in the past weeks, Airbnb introduced some new host categories like “Guest Interaction: I plan to socialize with my guests”. I guess this will be a first step to give an idea about the type of accommodation to new guests – like to define the difference between a “classic host” and a “professional landlord”. Is this a beta test only, or does Airbnb plan a general roll-out - so that also guests can search for this category? I remember, that “matching” between guest and host always played an important role, and is one of Airbnb’s USP’s.

Re: Airbnb Classic

Level 5

@Till-and-Jutta0 wrote:

Dear Donna, in the past weeks, Airbnb introduced some new host categories like “Guest Interaction: I plan to socialize with my guests”. I guess this will be a first step to give an idea about the type of accommodation to new guests – like to define the difference between a “classic host” and a “professional landlord”. Is this a beta test only, or does Airbnb plan a general roll-out - so that also guests can search for this category? I remember, that “matching” between guest and host always played an important role, and is one of Airbnb’s USP’s.

Thanks for the question, @Till-and-Jutta0;We know that both guests and hosts want us to set clear expectations about whether a place is someone's home or whether it's a full time vacation rental.  We've added some categories to help hosts better define what type of space they have upfront.  We'd love to hear your feedback on this as we continue to refine this! 

in
Troms, Norway
Level 10

@Donna_Boyer_QA

I like the idea of distinguishing between different types of accomodation very much as I believe it will lead to less misunderstandings. The thing is that many of the new features/amenities are not in the search filters, so not a lot of use presently.  Will this change ?

in
Durham, NC
Level 10

@Donna_Boyer_QA - WHERE do you want us to provide feedback?  Is this the proper way? https://www.airbnb.ca/help/feedback

Re: [Live Now!] Live Q&A with Donna Boyer, Director of Product

Level 2

A message from Bea *- South of Athens in Greece // Hello Donna . We live since 2004 totally out of the Grid in Ecco friendly - 100% solar energy house - : Any thoughts to create a category for houses like ours in Airbnb site soon ? // * https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/14350645?preview_for_ml

Re: [Live Now!] Live Q&A with Donna Boyer, Director of Product

in
Chicago, IL
Level 3

I'm doing AirBNB to save money to put solar on my house. Already I do as many green things I can: all linens/towels dried outside 9 months of the year, eco-friendly soaps and cleaners, reusable dinnerware, wise use of heat/air conditioning, etc. I know the travel industry has some measures of greeness to rate hotels and convention centers, so it seems like AirBNB would naturally do this too.