Update: June 19th 1PM San Francisco time, 9pm UK time - The Live Q&A has now ended.

Thank you very much for joining, the session has now ended. Over the next few days we will post a topic with all the questions and answers from today’s Q&A here in the CC, so you have them to hand.

Hello everyone,

Welcome to the Live Q&A session!

You may have seen our recent announcement telling you what this is all about, however as a quick recap, this is a live Q&A for our global community members with a member of the Airbnb team.

This is very exciting as it will be the first time we run a live Q&A in the Community Center. During the event on June 19th you will have the opportunity to be ask your questions to Airbnb’s Director of Product; Donna Boyer.

Donna

Here is some information about Donna:

Donna, is a self-confessed product geek obsessed with building smart technology. Donna started out at Harvard Business School where she researched the global economic impact of technology innovations. For over 20 years, she has focused on how to empower product teams to bring beauty and outstanding user experience into the digital world, leading product at Hyperion Solutions, Yahoo!, RMG Networks, Callaway Digital Arts and Blurb. At Airbnb, she leads the product team focused on the host experience. In addition to being an Airbnb Superhost, Donna is a mother of two and serves on the board of Girls in Tech, a non-profit focused on the engagement, education and empowerment of girls and women who are passionate about technology.

So how will this work?

The Q&A session will start at 12pm, PST/ 3PM EST/ 8PM BST on June 19th and it will be last for an hour. As soon as the session starts, hosts from throughout the Airbnb Community can post their questions to Donna in this thread. Donna will answer as many questions as she possibly can with the help of our team. You can post questions in these specific languages (English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish) and our community managers will translate the questions (when they are not in English) so Donna can answer..

This thread is closed for new posts at the moment and it will open for your questions a few minutes before the session is due to start.

I am sure there will be lots of questions, so to make it easier for everyone taking part, we have created some handy guidelines to make sure the event runs smoothly and to maximise the number of questions we can answer.

Live Q&A Guidelines:

• Please, ask your questions here in this thread, otherwise we will not be able to see them and Donna will not receive them
  • You can ask several questions, but please try to ask only one question per post, this will help Donna to follow all of the questions being asked
  • Keep in mind the Community Center mentality, be respectful of the interviewee, members and their questions
  • We will answer as many questions as possible, however it may not be possible to answer everyone so please don’t post the same question repeatedly. This will not increase the chances of it being replied
  • Questions should be related to Donna’s role at Airbnb, this is a great opportunity to ask a senior member of the team questions so lets make the most of the time she's going to spend with us
  • During the session, Donna will be able to answer questions asked in English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish with the help of the Community Managers across the six Community Center languages
  • Try and summarize your question as much as possible, this will save us time and allow for Donna to answer even more of your questions. You can formulate your questions before the Live Q&A session begins and post them once it starts

We look forward to seeing your questions and really hope you enjoy the Live Q&A.

Thank you,

Lizzie

Lese diesen Beitrag auf Deutsch:

Leia este tópico Portuguese:

Leggi questa discussione in italiano:

Lisez ce message en français:

Lee este hilo en Español:

238 Replies

Re: [Live Now!] Live Q&A with Donna Boyer, Director of Product

in
Mintraching, Germany
Level 10

@James250 This is just the activity level here in the Community Center ...

in
México D.F., Mexico
Level 4

@James250 very good question! I wonder this myself all the time

in
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level 2

Buenas tardes! expectante en buenos Aires para tener las respuestas de la Sra. Donna!!!!

in
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Level 10

Hello Donna,

My name is Brunello [Personal information hidden], and I have been a host since 2010 in Ipanema with 3 apartments.

Firstly, I would like to thank you for the time you are dedicating to this Q&A.

My question is the follow:

I have 3 apt in the same building in one of the best location of Ipanema listed on airbnb.

Why in the search map all apartments shown (not just mine) are shown in the wrong location? (I am talking about the search map, which is not the map inside each listing with the circle).

I have attached a screen shot of them in the search map.

SearchMapError.jpg

During the last 3 years, I have talked to customer service, several times about this, and most recently via Medium, I have pointed out to Adam Neary, an airbnb search engineer; however, it seem that all answer I have received are talking about the map with the circle inside the listing, and not about the actual map appearing in the search page. Not sure why.

Now, think about a guest entering the site and doing a search. He/she is actually seeing in the right-side general map many pointers (one for each apartment) pointing to a specific point in a street, in between two other street, or a quarter of a block distant from the corner, etc….. The location that the pointer is indicating is very specific. The way it is, in the search page you can choose exactly the street you want, the block you want, how far from the corner of the block etc…… and I think that is actually great…..

The only problem is that the exact point shown in the search map, that exact street and block pointed by the arrowed rectangle, is not the actual location of the apt. Sometimes is very far from it.

This means that a guest choose a location and get another one.

In my case, my 3 apts (that are in the same building) are shown with 3 pointers in 3 completely different locations. One is shown in an actually better location, two 2 block from there, in a much worst location. I have a friend that has an apt that is being shown in a street 1 kilometer from her location, another neighborhood. Another friend has an apt in a prime location but it is shown inside a favela.

Just to be clear, I am talking of the first map a guest see when search IPANEMA and not the one shown after entering an actual listing where the location appear marked with a big circle. In the search map, it appears a little rectangle with a little arrow pointing to a specific point in a street. Inside the rectangle it is written the day-rates. It is like those balloons of comics.

The issue I am talking about is airbnb passing a very detailed location information in the search map that unfortunately is not correct.

Since I know that you are relying on google, not sure how can be possible that in the edit page of the listing the pointer is perfectly in the correct location, in the public page of the listing, the circle actually circle the correct area, and in the search page the pointer points in a completely wrong place. If google push the data from the same source, not sure how can show different results.

Ciao for now

Brunello [Personal information hidden]

in
Cholula, Mexico
Level 10

Hi Bruno: Easy answer: Due to security reasons AirBnB never shows the EXACT location. Same happens to me, but it is well explained in the platform. If you need to state e.g. "BEACHFRONT" do that via your fotos and in the description!

Saludos
Michael

in
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Level 10

@Michael477....... choosing a prime location, and then the actual address in is a favela; or choosing a neighborhood and then the apt is in another one, not sure if is calling it security.  I agree about the circle in the map inside the listing.  But in the search page, pointing to an exact street (which has many building so it would be impossible to actually understand which building it is) and that is not the actual address, seem to me a bug rather than a security measure.

in
Cholula, Mexico
Level 10

@Brux0:

The description in your posting and the photos should be enough for you to explain everything to a guest.

Have you seen what AirBnB states to every guest looking for an apartment:

"Exact location information is provided after a booking is confirmed."

Saludos
Michael

in
Cathedral City, CA
Level 3

When will Airbnb start collecting local bed taxes?

I know you collect from some areas.

If I add the bed tax to my listing I am no longer competative so I have to pay it out of my pocket.

in
Killington, VT
Level 3

Hi,

Right now we can only assign per person per night pricing to the entire property and not to specific time periods. This really limits our booking flexiblity in the off-season. Any plans to make per person per night pricing date specific rather than property specific? Thanks.

in
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Level 10

Dave, I believe that if you select in the calendar the days you want a different price, you can change the price for those days.  This way you can manage high season and low season.  Not sure, this was your question.

in
Killington, VT
Level 3

I can do it manually each year of course, but I cannot see what the rate I had for the previous year was. For example, holidays are priced higher. I have to enter these manually every year but I do not see what I had charged the previous year as that info is not available. On other sites I can just edit the expired rates from 2017 to 2018 for example and all my pricing info is already there.

in
Villas, NJ
Level 2

Get a calander.  I have for back up.  Use a pencil.  Put price down.  Hey should you lose your phone, elec go out, forget your ph etc you always have back up.  Then put in a box and use next yr.  It works for me.  Even put notes on side if guests were not welcome again etc

in
Cholula, Mexico
Level 10

Dave: You can...in your pricing options you can definr prices by season...even by day!

Saludos
Michael

in
Villas, NJ
Level 2

I just asked kinda same question about charging extra for one night stayers.  Their pricing info is very limited.

in
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level 2

Buenas tardes Donna! desde Buenos Aires, mi consulta es , cuál es la mejor manera de hacer el anuncio para atraer más cantidad de huéspedes?