Update: June 19th 1PM San Francisco time, 9pm UK time - The Live Q&A has now ended.

Thank you very much for joining, the session has now ended. Over the next few days we will post a topic with all the questions and answers from today’s Q&A here in the CC, so you have them to hand.

Hello everyone,

Welcome to the Live Q&A session!

You may have seen our recent announcement telling you what this is all about, however as a quick recap, this is a live Q&A for our global community members with a member of the Airbnb team.

This is very exciting as it will be the first time we run a live Q&A in the Community Center. During the event on June 19th you will have the opportunity to be ask your questions to Airbnb’s Director of Product; Donna Boyer.

Donna

Here is some information about Donna:

Donna, is a self-confessed product geek obsessed with building smart technology. Donna started out at Harvard Business School where she researched the global economic impact of technology innovations. For over 20 years, she has focused on how to empower product teams to bring beauty and outstanding user experience into the digital world, leading product at Hyperion Solutions, Yahoo!, RMG Networks, Callaway Digital Arts and Blurb. At Airbnb, she leads the product team focused on the host experience. In addition to being an Airbnb Superhost, Donna is a mother of two and serves on the board of Girls in Tech, a non-profit focused on the engagement, education and empowerment of girls and women who are passionate about technology.

So how will this work?

The Q&A session will start at 12pm, PST/ 3PM EST/ 8PM BST on June 19th and it will be last for an hour. As soon as the session starts, hosts from throughout the Airbnb Community can post their questions to Donna in this thread. Donna will answer as many questions as she possibly can with the help of our team. You can post questions in these specific languages (English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish) and our community managers will translate the questions (when they are not in English) so Donna can answer..

This thread is closed for new posts at the moment and it will open for your questions a few minutes before the session is due to start.

I am sure there will be lots of questions, so to make it easier for everyone taking part, we have created some handy guidelines to make sure the event runs smoothly and to maximise the number of questions we can answer.

Live Q&A Guidelines:

• Please, ask your questions here in this thread, otherwise we will not be able to see them and Donna will not receive them
  • You can ask several questions, but please try to ask only one question per post, this will help Donna to follow all of the questions being asked
  • Keep in mind the Community Center mentality, be respectful of the interviewee, members and their questions
  • We will answer as many questions as possible, however it may not be possible to answer everyone so please don’t post the same question repeatedly. This will not increase the chances of it being replied
  • Questions should be related to Donna’s role at Airbnb, this is a great opportunity to ask a senior member of the team questions so lets make the most of the time she's going to spend with us
  • During the session, Donna will be able to answer questions asked in English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish with the help of the Community Managers across the six Community Center languages
  • Try and summarize your question as much as possible, this will save us time and allow for Donna to answer even more of your questions. You can formulate your questions before the Live Q&A session begins and post them once it starts

We look forward to seeing your questions and really hope you enjoy the Live Q&A.

Thank you,

Lizzie

Lese diesen Beitrag auf Deutsch:

Leia este tópico Portuguese:

Leggi questa discussione in italiano:

Lisez ce message en français:

Lee este hilo en Español:

238 Replies

Re: Data that could help me decide on turning a place into an AirBNB

in
California, United States
Level 10

@Russ1 There's many resources online that can help you with this. I'm doubtful Airbnb will ever enter into this type of data sharing as it provides no benefit to them and is quite a different market than their current one.

in
Chicago, IL
Level 3

I'm not sure I agree it would be of no benefit to them, as these are larger private spaces that could accommodate many people (6-8, and I'm in Chicago so I know there are businesses that house groups). So while I can look at other listings to see what they have and what they evidently earn (based on prices + number of reviews), I'm still trigger shy because I think my initial investment would be $3000-$4000, plus the ongoing labor of managing it/cleaning, etc.

But I don't understand what you mean by: "and is quite a different market than their current one."

in
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Level 10

@Russ1 .... I believe airdna provides some data os the kind you are looking for.

brunello

in
Chicago, IL
Level 3

I just pulled up their site -- will definitely study it.

Re: [Live Now!] Live Q&A with Donna Boyer, Director of Product

in
Cathedral City, CA
Level 3

Will Airbnb put out an elctronic manual to help us guide our way through the web site?

James

Level 5

@James0 wrote:

Will Airbnb put out an elctronic manual to help us guide our way through the web site?

James

Thanks for this suggestion, @James250.  I'd love to explore this further.  I think it would be particularly helpful for new hosts as they get started. 

in
Rio, Brazil
Level 1

What can I do to have more reservations?

in
California, United States
Level 10

@Debora45 Read my blog 🙂 I just posted an article about some amenities you can add to your Airbnb listing to take your hosting to the next level. Let me know what you think.

in
La Mesa, CA
Level 2

Donna,

1.  I have need of a note section in the message trail with my guests. Only show on host end, it would be a very convient way to update guest preferences for the next stay, ie. no alcohol, extra towels, favored touches, etc.

2. I also have event space that I would like to offer as an add on service. Don't have a way to capture that as a fee on the site.

Thank you,

Nancy **

in
Atlanta, GA
Level 2

Thank you for this live session. I am new to Airbnb as a host but have already had several great guests through Airbnb.

Please explain why it is so difficult to reach someone who can resolve problems such as taxing errors made by Airbnb (For example, my condo is identified by Airbnb as being in the wrong county). This error has even been acknowledged by Airbnb for a month. But no correction has been made yet. I have made three attempts: two by logging a written request and one by phone. I receive initial responses that are polite. But there are no results.

Why is there no number on your site that customers can address valid needs to get things fixed?

in
San Diego, CA
Level 2

I am a new host in San Diego since June and so far it has been a very great experience.  June was completely booked for 27 days and now I am looking at July and since it is high season in San Diego and Comic Con is here for a week I raised my rent.  I am hoping to book the open days I have left in July.  I seemed that last month the available days that were open in June, booked in one day and I am wondering if this could happen again for July?

Re: prix par chambre plutôt que par personne

in
Saint-Rambert-d'Albon, France
Level 2

bonjour je loue 2 chambres dans mon appartement 1 chambre avec un lit de 2 placeset une autre chambre pour 2, lorsque les gens ne dorment pas dans le même lit donc la même chambre je voudrais faire payer plus puisqu'ils utilisent 2 lits or il n'y a pas de rubrique pour le nombre de chambres,on ne peut augmenter le prix que par rapport aux nombres de personnes, pourrait on ajouter cette rubrique? merci

Re: prix par chambre plutôt que par personne

Level 5

@Chantal0 wrote:

bonjour je loue 2 chambres dans mon appartement 1 chambre avec un lit de 2 placeset une autre chambre pour 2, lorsque les gens ne dorment pas dans le même lit donc la même chambre je voudrais faire payer plus puisqu'ils utilisent 2 lits or il n'y a pas de rubrique pour le nombre de chambres,on ne peut augmenter le prix que par rapport aux nombres de personnes, pourrait on ajouter cette rubrique? merci

@Chantal0 wrote:

Hello I rent 2 rooms in my apartment 1 bedroom with a double bed and another room for 2. When people do not sleep in the same bed so the same room I would like to charge more since they use 2 beds. However there is no section for the number of rooms/beds used, you can only increase the price in relation to the number of people, could you add this option? thank you

Thanks for this question, Chantal.  Some hosts adjust their cleaning fee to address the additional set up and laundry costs for an extra bed, but I'd love to understand your specific need a little bit more.  

Merci pour cette question, Chantal. Certains hôtes adaptent leurs frais de ménage pour régler le coût supplémentaire et les frais de linge pour un lit supplémentaire, mais j'aimerais comprendre votre besoin spécifique un peu plus.

in
Half Moon Bay, CA
Level 2

how to view donna?

in
Cholula, Mexico
Level 10

Evelyn: No audiuo, no video....only text

Saludos
Michael