Update: June 19th 1PM San Francisco time, 9pm UK time - The Live Q&A has now ended.

Thank you very much for joining, the session has now ended. Over the next few days we will post a topic with all the questions and answers from today’s Q&A here in the CC, so you have them to hand.

Hello everyone,

Welcome to the Live Q&A session!

You may have seen our recent announcement telling you what this is all about, however as a quick recap, this is a live Q&A for our global community members with a member of the Airbnb team.

This is very exciting as it will be the first time we run a live Q&A in the Community Center. During the event on June 19th you will have the opportunity to be ask your questions to Airbnb’s Director of Product; Donna Boyer.

Donna

Here is some information about Donna:

Donna, is a self-confessed product geek obsessed with building smart technology. Donna started out at Harvard Business School where she researched the global economic impact of technology innovations. For over 20 years, she has focused on how to empower product teams to bring beauty and outstanding user experience into the digital world, leading product at Hyperion Solutions, Yahoo!, RMG Networks, Callaway Digital Arts and Blurb. At Airbnb, she leads the product team focused on the host experience. In addition to being an Airbnb Superhost, Donna is a mother of two and serves on the board of Girls in Tech, a non-profit focused on the engagement, education and empowerment of girls and women who are passionate about technology.

So how will this work?

The Q&A session will start at 12pm, PST/ 3PM EST/ 8PM BST on June 19th and it will be last for an hour. As soon as the session starts, hosts from throughout the Airbnb Community can post their questions to Donna in this thread. Donna will answer as many questions as she possibly can with the help of our team. You can post questions in these specific languages (English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish) and our community managers will translate the questions (when they are not in English) so Donna can answer..

This thread is closed for new posts at the moment and it will open for your questions a few minutes before the session is due to start.

I am sure there will be lots of questions, so to make it easier for everyone taking part, we have created some handy guidelines to make sure the event runs smoothly and to maximise the number of questions we can answer.

Live Q&A Guidelines:

• Please, ask your questions here in this thread, otherwise we will not be able to see them and Donna will not receive them
  • You can ask several questions, but please try to ask only one question per post, this will help Donna to follow all of the questions being asked
  • Keep in mind the Community Center mentality, be respectful of the interviewee, members and their questions
  • We will answer as many questions as possible, however it may not be possible to answer everyone so please don’t post the same question repeatedly. This will not increase the chances of it being replied
  • Questions should be related to Donna’s role at Airbnb, this is a great opportunity to ask a senior member of the team questions so lets make the most of the time she's going to spend with us
  • During the session, Donna will be able to answer questions asked in English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish with the help of the Community Managers across the six Community Center languages
  • Try and summarize your question as much as possible, this will save us time and allow for Donna to answer even more of your questions. You can formulate your questions before the Live Q&A session begins and post them once it starts

We look forward to seeing your questions and really hope you enjoy the Live Q&A.

Thank you,

Lizzie

Lese diesen Beitrag auf Deutsch:

Leia este tópico Portuguese:

Leggi questa discussione in italiano:

Lisez ce message en français:

Lee este hilo en Español:

238 Replies

Re: [Live Now!] Live Q&A with Donna Boyer, Director of Product

in
Lyden, NM
Level 2

How can we see the text replies?

in
Cholula, Mexico
Level 10

Wander through the pages of this thread

Saludos
Michael

in
El Paso, TX
Level 2

I would like to see a field where we can fill out our local or city occupant taxes, so that our guests know exactly what we are charging. Doing it separately is very confusing to them.

in
Mintraching, Germany
Level 10

Hi Donna, why is Airbnb so strictly dividing between homesharers in a very strict sense and professionals? Esp. here in Germany you can be non-professional without being a homesharer.
I also received an invitation to create my own business site - I have 3 listings but I don't have a business in the commercial sense cause I welcome my guests in our big family home. This feels weird for me.
I still think it's better to give guests the search option to filter for a "live-in-host".

in
Killington, VT
Level 3

Any plans to allow hosts to re-use rates from the previous year? My peak season rates are the same each year, but I have to go in and manually reset them all the time. On other services I can see my old expired rates and just change the dates to update them for the next year. It's much, much simpler and helps me make sure people cannot book peak seasons at the off-season rate.

in
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Level 2

Donna, recebi uma solicitação de hospedagem de Hong Kong. No entanto, o possível hóspede me perguntou: "Hola eunice cómo estás? Espero pronto comunicarme contigo asi tengo el gusto un beso, si quieres hablamos por (SENSITIVE CONTENTS HIDDEN) mi idea es esos días." Eu lhe respondi: "Boa tarde Sebastian, não entendi sua mensagem. Favor repetir." "Você pode escrever em inglês, espanhol, italiano ou mesmo português. Entendo todas. Não entendi o conteúdo da sua mensagem."

Gostaria de saber de você como devo me proceder, pois para mim foi uma questão desrespeitosa para toda a comunidade do Airbnb. Para mim o possível hóspede não quer uma hospedagem, ele quer um contato para aproximação de intimidades físicas. Como devo me proceder?

Eu deveria ter comunicado imediatamente à comunidade do Airbnb a mensagem desrespeitosa do indivíduo?

Fico no seu aguardo. Obrigada.

in
Edmonton, Canada
Level 10

Hi Donna,

Ratings are important but why are only host's ratings posted.  It would be great if guest ratings were also posted for all to see.  I also think it would be great for Airbnb to have a SuperGuest badge as I have had several repeat guests who would be very deserving of this.

All the best!

David

Level 5

@Dave-and-Deb0 wrote:

Hi Donna,

Ratings are important but why are only host's ratings posted.  It would be great if guest ratings were also posted for all to see.  I also think it would be great for Airbnb to have a SuperGuest badge as I have had several repeat guests who would be very deserving of this.

All the best!

David

Thanks for this question,@Dave-and-Deb0. This idea of providing more historical information about guests has come up a lot.  In the coming months, we are going to be testing out a few different ways of giving hosts more information about a guest's past trips.  I'm looking forward to your feedback on this!

in
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Level 10

@Donna_Boyer_QA

In addition to the SUPER GUEST badge, it would be interesting as well to divide the SUPER HOST badge into 2 badges: 1) SUPER HOST.  2) SUPER APT.  Sometimes building facilities, location, etc..... will interfere with 5 stars, while host as a person is still a super host providing a super service.

cheers

brunello

in
Barcelona, Spain
Level 4

It´s a great idea, because as hosts we can choose our guests based on this clasification.   On the other hand, it´s an idea that we can see the regular and bad guests too.  Even "the worst" ones.  AIRBNB  can block this type of guests and hosts don´t have to live a bad experience.   As we´re working with stars, and reviews I think it would be fair to have both sides.. hosts, guests, any time. 

in
Seattle, WA
Level 2

Hello Donna,

Will there be a 2017 Airbnb Open conference? I haven't seen any announcements.

Thanks,

Corinne 

in
Edmonton, Canada
Level 10

I hope you don't mind me answering this for you @Corinne-and-Tom0

There will not be an Open 2017 but they will have one in 2018.

in
Valencia, Spain
Level 2

Hola, Soy María [Personal information hidden], miembro de airbnb desde el 2012.
En primer lugar, muchas gracias como siempre por vuestra atención y ayuda.

Mi pregunta es la siguiente: ¿Por qué sí airbnb es una plataforma de ayuda colaborativa entre particulares, no hay un filtro claro para que se puedan distinguir los alojamientos ofrecidos realmente por particulares propietarios de ese espacio que ofrecen; de los bloques de alojamientos ofrecidos por empresas que hacen un claro negocio del alquiler de corta estancia?

Sinceramente preferiría, como miembro de esta comunidad de viajeros, que se potenciara los anuncios de SUPERHOST o los anuncios con el NUMERO DE REGISTRO DE VIVIENDA TURISTICA, por ejemplo.
 Creo sinceramente que son estos alojamientos los que mejoran la calidad y no la cantidad de esta forma de movernos por el mundo...y le da la particularidad y originalidad a AIRBNB como plataforma de contactos entre particulares.

Quiero seguir creyendo que somos una comunidad de viajeros y no una pagina más de alquiler vacacional o estancias hoteleras, donde se funciona mas de esta forma sin contacto con las huéspedes que vivirán como en su hogar, pero en tu casa.

No se si estos comentarios servirán o no para algo, pero no puedo dejar de intentar haceros llegar mi opinion y parecer al respecto.

Mil gracias por todo.
Un afectuoso saludo.
María

Level 2

I am new to Airbnb and have had really positive feedback from all guests but noticed that 2 Spanish guests who live in U,K have given low ratings for things that they told us personally were good. Could it be that they have not understood and therefore we are losing points? Maybe they have not even done the ratings? It is disappointing and confusing.Nicki

in
Mexico City, Mexico
Level 1

Como poder mejorar los procesos de suscripcion a la herramienta y pagos subsecuentes a reservas en fin de semana o puentes. Que es cuando hay mas demanda.