Update: June 19th 1PM San Francisco time, 9pm UK time - The Live Q&A has now ended.

Thank you very much for joining, the session has now ended. Over the next few days we will post a topic with all the questions and answers from today’s Q&A here in the CC, so you have them to hand.

Hello everyone,

Welcome to the Live Q&A session!

You may have seen our recent announcement telling you what this is all about, however as a quick recap, this is a live Q&A for our global community members with a member of the Airbnb team.

This is very exciting as it will be the first time we run a live Q&A in the Community Center. During the event on June 19th you will have the opportunity to be ask your questions to Airbnb’s Director of Product; Donna Boyer.

Donna

Here is some information about Donna:

Donna, is a self-confessed product geek obsessed with building smart technology. Donna started out at Harvard Business School where she researched the global economic impact of technology innovations. For over 20 years, she has focused on how to empower product teams to bring beauty and outstanding user experience into the digital world, leading product at Hyperion Solutions, Yahoo!, RMG Networks, Callaway Digital Arts and Blurb. At Airbnb, she leads the product team focused on the host experience. In addition to being an Airbnb Superhost, Donna is a mother of two and serves on the board of Girls in Tech, a non-profit focused on the engagement, education and empowerment of girls and women who are passionate about technology.

So how will this work?

The Q&A session will start at 12pm, PST/ 3PM EST/ 8PM BST on June 19th and it will be last for an hour. As soon as the session starts, hosts from throughout the Airbnb Community can post their questions to Donna in this thread. Donna will answer as many questions as she possibly can with the help of our team. You can post questions in these specific languages (English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish) and our community managers will translate the questions (when they are not in English) so Donna can answer..

This thread is closed for new posts at the moment and it will open for your questions a few minutes before the session is due to start.

I am sure there will be lots of questions, so to make it easier for everyone taking part, we have created some handy guidelines to make sure the event runs smoothly and to maximise the number of questions we can answer.

Live Q&A Guidelines:

• Please, ask your questions here in this thread, otherwise we will not be able to see them and Donna will not receive them
  • You can ask several questions, but please try to ask only one question per post, this will help Donna to follow all of the questions being asked
  • Keep in mind the Community Center mentality, be respectful of the interviewee, members and their questions
  • We will answer as many questions as possible, however it may not be possible to answer everyone so please don’t post the same question repeatedly. This will not increase the chances of it being replied
  • Questions should be related to Donna’s role at Airbnb, this is a great opportunity to ask a senior member of the team questions so lets make the most of the time she's going to spend with us
  • During the session, Donna will be able to answer questions asked in English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish with the help of the Community Managers across the six Community Center languages
  • Try and summarize your question as much as possible, this will save us time and allow for Donna to answer even more of your questions. You can formulate your questions before the Live Q&A session begins and post them once it starts

We look forward to seeing your questions and really hope you enjoy the Live Q&A.

Thank you,

Lizzie

Lese diesen Beitrag auf Deutsch:

Leia este tópico Portuguese:

Leggi questa discussione in italiano:

Lisez ce message en français:

Lee este hilo en Español:

238 Replies

Re: [Live Now!] Live Q&A with Donna Boyer, Director of Product

in
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Level 2

PORTUGUESE

Olá, Meus hospedes sempre pedem descontos apos um bom par de diárias entretanto, nunca olham que ja esta configurado que ja damos 21% apos uma semana ou nem fazem contas... o site esta recomendando 14%.

Hoje resolvi retirar este desconto ja que eles não percebem e minhas diárias estão baixissimas, pela gravidade da crise nacional que estamos enfrentando... psicologicamente, acho que funcionará melhor! eles pedem e eles ganham. Uma pensa eles não saberem que ja tinham pois os que vem em RI não obterão.

ENGLISH

Hi, my guests always ask for discount after more than a week and my price already is set to give 21%. Today i've checked and the  site was recomending 14%. Since they never do any calculations to see the discount is already done, i've decided to take that devidce outo so when they'll ask, they'll get. Psycologically it seems to work better unless for the IR guests...

in
Málaga, Spain
Level 2

No se cómo va esto, solo quería comentar que despues de varios meses con el anuncio publicado solo he recibido dos huespedes y cuando intento que mis amigos visiten mi anuncio no lo encuentran, he perdido un poco el interés, la verdad ya que en Málaga donde resido y aparece el anuncio hay mucha actividad y busqueda de alojamiento pero mi anuncio no funciona, y no se por qué, la habitación esta muy bien y acorde con el precio, las dos visitas quedaron contentas pero no hay movimiento de huéspedes. Me retiro de la sesión porque no se muy bien como funciona, Gracias y saludos desde España

in
Lyon, France
Level 3

Bonjour Donna,

J'ai des suggestions à vous remonter pour évoluer notre gestion sur Air BNB:

1 – Besoin de réserver des chambres d’un même logement d’une manière indépendante

2 – Besoin d’ajouter dans les paramètres du calendrier un critère pour indiquer les dates des jours où le logement est disponible pour la location mais pas pour la remise des clés.

3 -  Besoin d’avoir la possibilité d’appliquer un prix pour la première nuit et autre prix qui s’appliquera pour les autres nuits.

4 – Besoin d’avoir la possibilité d’appliquer un prix dégressif

5 – mettre en place un partenariat avec des professionnels pour le ménage et plomberie et autres

Merci d'avance pour votre retour et prise en compte

in
Edmonton, Canada
Level 10

Hello again Donna,

Could you please add the category of "Basement suite" since there are thousands of homes that have these and it would solve a lot of misunderstandings for a guest?

in
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Level 4

Olá Donna. Obrigada pela oportunidade de conversarmos diretamente. A minha questão é por que não abrir um chat nas opções de Ajuda do perfil para tratarmos de alguns assuntos urgentes. Poderia ter um combox com algumas opções de assuntos relevantes

Level 5

Dyone escreveu:

Olá Donna. Obrigada pela oportunidade de conversarmos diretamente. A minha questão é por que não abrir um chat nas opções de Ajuda do perfil para tratarmos de alguns assuntos urgentes. Poderia ter um combox com algumas opções de assuntos relevantes

Dyone escreveu:

Hello Donna. Thank you for the opportunity to talk directly to you. My question is why not open a chat in the Help profile options to address some urgent issues. Could have a combo box with some options to relevant topics.

This is a really great idea,@Dyone0.  Having chat support could help hosts a lot if they have an urgent issue.  This is something that I know we've looked at, and I will circle back with my team to see where we are on this.  

Esta é uma ótima idéia, Dyone. O suporte através do bate-papo pode ajudar muito os anfitriões se tiverem um problema urgente. Isso é algo que eu sei que estamos analisando, e eu vou checar com a minha equipe para ver onde estamos nesse assunto.

in
Bergen, Norway
Level 10

Hello all 😊

Live from Marbella, Spain.

I wonder: why do CS give themselves shorter deadlines than in the rules as to reply to host problems with a guest? If I am given 2 hours to respond to a CS mail from the US it will be in the middle of the night and I will be sleeping...

Why do we see such poor CS towards the host's help in obvious guest-trouble?

What is the host guarantee actually worth? 

We need a full name of our guests to vet them properly. Please open for this again.

Do you have plans on improving the website? It is BAD and not intuitive and very poor for new hosts.

Mariann 🙂

in
Auckland, New Zealand
Level 4

Hi Donna, When people search for my listing on a mobile device, my listing does not appear. I have been phoning Airbnb since Nov 2015 and nothing has been done to solve the problem. My enquiries and bookings have completely dropped off. When will this problem be addressed. I see other hosts complaining of the same issue on the community pages. 

Thank you,

in
Bouze-lès-Beaune, France
Level 2

Bonjour, j'aimerais avoir recours au service d un photographe, mais dans ma région ( bourgogne) ce n'est apparemment pas possible. Merci de me dire pourquoi ?

je trouve du coup injuste que certains hôtes puissent faire appel et ailleurs ce n'est pas le cas. Merci, 

Level 5

@Florence0 wrote:

Bonjour, j'aimerais avoir recours au service d un photographe, mais dans ma région ( bourgogne) ce n'est apparemment pas possible. Merci de me dire pourquoi ?

je trouve du coup injuste que certains hôtes puissent faire appel et ailleurs ce n'est pas le cas. Merci, 

@Florence0 wrote:

Hello, I would like to use the service of a photographer, but in my region (Burgundy) this is apparently not possible. Can you please tell me why?
I find it unfair that some hosts have access and for others this is not the case. thank you,

Thanks for the question, Florence.  We have photographers across the world, but our photography program currently isn't available in every region.  

Merci pour la question, Florence. Nous avons des photographes à travers le monde, mais notre programme de photographie n'est actuellement pas disponible dans toutes les régions.

We're actively working on expanding our coverage and are excited to share more updates on this soon.   In the mean time, here are some great tips here on how to take great listing photos on your own. 

in
Mexico City, Mexico
Level 1

Soy relativamente nueva en la herramienta, quisiera saber que influye para aparecer en los primeros lugares de resultado de las búsquedas ya que hay mucha competencia sana entre nosotros como particulares. En una ocasión me contacto un huésped pero por ser nuevo en la herramienta no pudo realizar su reserva ya que era puente y lo podían atender finalizando el periodo vacacional y no lo pude ayudar y para nosotros son perder reservas en estos casos.

Allow business Travel Category option when renting entire floor of home (e.g. 2nd floor or bsmnt)

Level 2
  1. Please add a new option to have Business Travel category when renting entire floor of home. Business travel requires full house / apartment only.  I know that I am missing business renters because many business travelers in this area (near an airport) are renting individual rooms and even sharing rooms because they cannot find suitable housing. I could have additional revenue if I could advertise to business travelers and inform them of their option to have a dedicated floor in my SFH. But I do not have a category in AirBnB to showcase that I am fully able to accommodate business travelers.

in
Barcelona, Spain
Level 4

Hi Donna: Thank you for doing this program.  My question is:  reviews.  specially those related to guests who have been terrible, or didn´t respect the rules of the house.  As AIRBNB rules, the host can write a review but if the guests didn´t write it, it won´t appear in their page, so the next host will never know what happened before!!  I´ve had some terrible guests and nothing happened. 

I suggest to think about it because the hosts in the AIRBNB  community will be safe and it will be fair. 

Thank you in advance for your answer. 

MARÍA DEL PILAR

in
Edmonton, Canada
Level 10

Host reviews ARE posted even if the guest does not leave a review.  Sometimes a guest may receive a bad review and close their account but when they sign up again, the review is added back on.

in
Stuttgart, Germany
Host Advisory Board Member

Hi @Maria-Del-Pilar0, all reviews will be published after 14 days, even if the guest/host didn't leave one.