[Guide] – How to Use Pro Tools & Rule Sets to Create a Custom Date Range for Check-in/Checkout & Min Stay

[Guide] – How to Use Pro Tools & Rule Sets to Create a Custom Date Range for Check-in/Checkout & Min Stay

Prior to the Summer 2023 Release, Hosts were able to select a date range to apply custom check-in and/or checkout restrictions and/or custom minimum stays on the regular calendar. Currently, (as of 08/16/23), that functionality has been removed on the regular calendar and is only available using Pro Tools & Rule Sets. All Hosts can use Pro Tools now (previously, only Hosts with 6 or more listings could). You can use Pro Tools now, even if you only have one listing. The Airbnb Help articles have not been updated as yet to indicate all Hosts can use Pro Tools.

How to Apply Custom Settings After Summer 2023 Release

You CAN still apply custom date range restrictions (not just day of the week Sun/Mon/Tues, etc.) to specific dates on your calendar for check-in and/or check-out using Pro Tools and Rule Sets; it’s just accomplished in a different fashion. These rule sets will only affect the dates you choose to apply them to; not for your entire calendar. Rule Sets will always override your default calendar settings. If using Instant Book, be especially careful when applying Rule Sets. Always test out a Rule Set by using the Guest view calendar (try to book a trip). Ensure it is working the way you intended once placed on your calendar. Here are some Airbnb Help Articles on Pro Tools and Rule Sets:

Turn on Professional Tools

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2499

To begin using “Pro Tools” 

1. Click Profile Picture
  2. Click Account
  3. Choose Professional Hosting Tools
  4. Click Manage
  5. Turn on Pro Tools 

How to Create & Edit Rule Sets

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2061/

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2062

Steps to Create A Custom Rule Set 

As of 08/16/23, follow these steps to add custom check-in and/or check-out restrictions and minimum stays for a range of dates using Pro Tools and Rule Sets (per Airbnb CS):

1. Create a Rule Set for your restriction (check-in and/or check-out day) and/or minimum stay
  2. Choose a name and color for it
  3. Then simply click on the first date on your calendar you wish to apply it; then the last date you wish to apply it. The multi-calendar tool will select all dates in-between automatically. You may also simply click and move your mouse over the dates to select them and apply the restriction. Your multicalendar display will show the shading color you assigned to indicate a Rule Set has been applied to the selected dates.

This will require you to create a specific rule set for each scenario, but will accomplish what you want (albeit, more involved to setup initially than simply having a place to add a date range as was previously available).

Scenario Example – Custom Settings

Scenario provided by @Guido329 (thanks for the custom date range screenshots prior to the Summer 2023 release):

Scenario - 5 Night Minimum Prevent Gaps Between Bookings 

To avoid gaps between bookings, he prefers to restrict check-in to the same day a guest checks out. If a guest checks out on a Sunday, he prefers the incoming guest to check-in on the same day (Sunday); not Monday or Tuesday. Check-out would be on a Friday (5night minimum). This avoids gaps between bookings and maximizes his profitability. He would need to create a Rule Set for a 5night minimum and restrict check-in to Sunday only (no check-in Monday or Tuesday) and check-out on a Friday. He can use that Rule Set to accomplish this for that particular booking. After creating the Rule Set, he would apply this to the specific dates on his calendar. Rule Sets would need to be created for each day of the week to accomplish his desire to prevent gaps in his calendar for each day of the week.

Create Your Rule Set – 5 Night Minimum Stay No Gaps

Here is how to create a Rule Set for a 5night minimum (check in restricted to same day as checkout – Sunday). Check in Sunday, May 19, 2024 – Check out Friday, May 24, 2024 (5night minimum).

Step 1Step 1

Step 2Step 2

Step 3Step 3

Choose Dates - Then ApplyChoose Dates - Then Apply

Now apply your new Rule Set to your calendar by clicking on the first date on your calendar you wish to apply it; then the last date you wish to apply it. The multi-calendar tool will select all dates in-between automatically. You may also simply click and move your mouse over the dates to select them and apply the restriction.

Multicalendar Shading Shows Rule Set AppliedMulticalendar Shading Shows Rule Set Applied

Verify your Rule Set is working as intended by testing it using the Guest view Calendar (attempt to book dates where your Rule Set is applied). One note of caution…If you delete a Rule Set, it will delete that Rule Set on your entire calendar.

Hope this helps Hosts who wish to apply custom date range(s) for check-in, check-out and minimum stays. Let us know if it works for you!

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Joan2709 What a brilliant guide.

Another example would be for those hosts who want to take advantage of tourists at weekends and workers during the week BUT still allow those lovely 7 or 10+ night stays.

To do this they would only allow check in/check out on a Friday and Monday and not set a min stay. that way people can stay Fri-Monday or Monday-Friday or Friday-Friday or Friday to a week on Monday. 

Perhaps @Guido329 could consider this.

With rule sets, once you get your head around the logic of them you can achieve a lot!

@Mike-And-Jane0 

That is a greaaat! idea! Awesome solution! 👍😊

For our smaller property, the biggest issue is someone breaking up a Fri/Sat booking (our most popular), by only booking a one night stay on a Friday, or Saturday. Our weekends book up quickly and rarely do we get more that a 3night stay.

I like your idea above, as it maximizes your calendar, but doesn't use min stays, which can affect your availability in search result rank.

@Joan2709 we have a 3 night min stay (because we don't like cleaning) so by setting Monday/friday as check in days and allowing check outs on mon/thurs/friday we capture most of the business we want with only the odd gap on a Thursday night.

The problem we have is we have 3 listings all in the same building and if we apply these rules to all of them then its a very busy day when the check ins all coincide!

Jason1895
Level 2
Metro Manila, Philippines

Hey Joan, this past few days I've been trying to go to my pro marketing page but every time I go to my unique URL it just goes through my profile. I'm wondering if the same situation is happening with you or maybe it's just mine? And if you or someone know how to gain it back again as I find it helpful especially when I run ads it helps potential guests to find all my listings. Thank you!

Hmmm...having the same problem. We don't use the Pro Marketing page much though. Airbnb must be making some changes again?