Asking Airbnb to rehouse a guest (no hot water) is like cancelling?

Lou18
Level 2
Launceston, Australia

Asking Airbnb to rehouse a guest (no hot water) is like cancelling?

Hi all,

Hope you can help me understand this.

My guests arrived today for 2 nights but it turns out that there was no hot water. It just happened today and we're not sure it can be fixed tomorrow, so I offered them to be relocated (with a full refund from me) and contacted Airbnb to ask them to find another accommodation. This was resolved 3 hours later and the guests left for another accommodation. But I see that my message thread with that guest shows $0 and "cancelled by you". Firstly Airbnb never got back to me to advise me of any of that. Of course it's not the guest who initiated the relocation, but I was just trying to do the right thing mainly for the poor guests. I could have just left them there and refunded them something. So do I incur the cancellation penalty and no SH status eligibilty for a year (not that it has brought me more business anyway)? If so I'd like to make a complaint of course but has any of you been in a similar situation and how did it get resolved? 

Thanks for your insight and advice on this.

1 Reply 1
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Lou18  Possibly no hot water is an extenuating circumstance.  Air BNB definition of extenuating circumstance:

• Severe property damage or unforeseen maintenance issues that directly impact the ability to host safely

Contact Air BNB to see if you can claim the cancellation under that definition so you will not be penalized.