Bad Vibe About Guest

Maggie6
Level 1
State College, PA

Bad Vibe About Guest

Hello,

I am very new to this starting in January.  I have my 3rd booking considering a reservation who is a young man attending his college graduation at the local university with his family.  He started off asking to negotiate/discount the pricing for this huge weekend in our area that I am already booked for.   I told him our house has been reserved since the Fall for that date.  When I told him that was not available,  he insisted he could see it was available on the site.   I further explained that it has been rented for this weekend for several months.  (People book a year in advance for Graduation weekend).  

Now he has since come back after a day or two but wanting to rent the house for different dates--the following Sunday-Tuesday.  I agreed, and we would need 4 hours in between the first party checking out at noon (booked through a different site) and him checking in to insure it is cleaned and linens changed etc (it is a big old house) and he wanted it an hour earlier.  So I then agreed to make it available at 3pm instead of 4pm however I now am realizing that this is not in the Airbnb choices.    He and I have only discussed by Airbnb correspondence in regard to the check-in time.  Could he show up wanting to check in at the Airbnb check-in times?  How do I manage that?

Then he again wanted to try to negotiate the pricing through emails, but I asked him to please go ahead and book through Airbnb.

Next he is now accusing me of changing the prices for the dates he wanted saying they were originally "300" per night and now they are "497" per night.   The Sunday night price, which is quite a bit higher than the weekday price, has NOT changed, but I did reduce the Monday and Tuesday night pricing according to the Airbnb price tips by $6 along with other weekdays.  So I'm not even sure what he was looking at previously, or even if he was just looking at Monday and Tuesday which were actually higher than they are now?  Or if he's just being difficult to get lower pricing? It ends up being $12 less for him, but I am not even sure what he's referring to with the $497.   I am not sure what to do.  He has not yet reserved and I am just getting a really bad vibe about him.  Although I'm new to Airbnb, I am a hotelier so am not totally new to guests acting badly.  Should I just close out those dates and go with my intuition telling him the house is no longer available?  

Also from what I can see he has no reviews but is just "verified."  I am concerned this is just a bad review waiting to happen for my home.

My 2 questions are:

Should I close out the dates and not allow him to book it if I have a bad feeling about the situation?

Is it possible he could show up at the regular check-in time and insist on checking in because I have only arranged that by Airbnb email?

Thank you for any insight!

Maggie

3 Replies 3
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

I would simply decline this request - he is one of those 15 guests you do not want ...

http://globalhostingblogs.com/2015/12/06/ten-guests-you-dont-want/

Thank you for the information.  Very good article.  I appreciate it!

Maggie

@Maggie6, I told a few guests over time that I use airbnb as it is very simple to use and has very clear rules and security for both parties. My prices are adapted to that, (even if they may raise or lower a bit with the official price suggestions). 

The price is not adapted to allow complicated procedures. I gladly accept guests who simply book but I have to deny a guest who cannot decide if he wishes to book or not with two mail exchanges. Most guests book within an hour. 

On that, 3 out of four simply give up and one books immediately with a mail of excuses. If that happens, it's no risk for the review, they needed a little rebuke to know how is the boss. They behave nicely after that clarification. And for the other three I was very happy to be rid of them.