Bad guest

Emily568
Level 2
Budapest, Hungary

Bad guest

I have had my first bad guest this week...

I dont mind a bit of dirt...

Despite saying that they can leave at anytime, just tell me when, so we can pick up the keys, he has left with the key AND left the front door wide open for most of the day - lucky nothing was stolen.

There is pooh in the toilet- we have a brush!

There is POOH IN THE SHOWER - yuck! Why?

There is rubbish all over the house - we have bins

There is chewing gum on the coffee table  - we have bins

My neighbours said he partied all weekend and was rude we have a strict no noise after 11pm rule.

Used condoms in the bed and the bedroom floor ect

11 Replies 11
Joe492
Level 4
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Hi, do you take picture as evidence? You can request cleaning fees from him. Leave him a bad review and do not recommend this guest to other host.

Im worried about bad feedback! Aghhhh!

Don't know if you are aware but he won't be able to read your review of him before after he writes one himself. Do as @Letti0 suggests 🙂

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Emily568  So long as you have no guests do to arrive in the next few days. Review them instantly. Most people are curious and want to see what you wrote, so they usually review you back within hours or the next day. After the review comes in hit him with the cleaning bill. I have had this work twice for me personally. 

HI Emily, 

oh yuk, that's awful.  Sorry you had that experience.

Maybe let your neighbours know your phone number so they can ring and tell you? You could tell Neighbours your House Rules so they know what isn't allowed.

Then you can tell Guest to leave as he has violated the House Rules.

And definitely give him the thumbs down in the review part (in the Review, where it says 'would you recommend this Guest? no-one will see this)  plus an honest review.

I now have one of my instant booking criteria as 'must be recommended by other Hosts'  so people like this can't book. 

As one of the other long-time Hosts said on a post 'they will contact you and try to sweet-talk you into letting them book" if they have no good reviews, or the thumbs down.  

I decline them now, with the reason "they don't match my booking criteria",  if no reviews, yet they say have stayed in Airbnb's before, and have been listed on Airbnb for a while. 

Red flag! 

My main trouble here comes from Smokers, who proceed to make the place smell hideous. So I now have a "I am accepting bookings from non-smokers only now" in 2 places on my site.

Still had one slip in the other day, amazingly.  So now I ask upon booking, get them to confirm in writing they are non-smokers. 

I read up on it on AIrbnb and we can decline smokers . 

I love travelling in Hungary and have stayed in 3 Airbnb's while there with my Daughter.

Anna1043
Level 2
Salt Lake City, UT

Is there a thread/discussion where we can list bad guests by name to warn other hosts?

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Anna1043 this is exactly what the review process is for- so hosts and guests can have an accurate idea of what it will be like to host a potential guest, and for a guest to stay at a potential hosts listing.

We can all then make a more informed decision and hopefully minimise any risk.

Also why it is so important that everyone reviews their guests/hosts- regardless of good or bad stay!

Paul, thank you. I understand that. In this case, I did not know the extent of the effect the guest would have until after they left a review (a review that was just weird and mean and contained flat out lies.) 

How guests effect our reputation, by leaving reviews and comments, is just as important as how they leave our apartments—even more so, in my opinion. And so, I feel that for hosts to not be able to react and base our reviews on how guests review us handicaps us, as hosts. 

Anna1043
Level 2
Salt Lake City, UT

On another thread, it was recommended for hosts to check and see what guests have left as reviews for other hosts, before accepting their booking. That might be helpful.

Daniel1992
Level 10
Downingtown, PA

Overall and cleanliness are going to be 1's here for sure.  You'll also want to leave public feedback about excessive messes, including the used condoms left (you don't know what diseases those people had, and if you have a cut on your finger, you can now contract those diseases), the broken house rules, and the fact they they left the door wide open without returning the key, as well as saying that this person is better suited to a hotel.  I personally would risk my rating to make sure other hosts don't deal with the nonsense of this person.

EDIT: I noticed that your listing has been removed.  Might I ask why?

Rosanna51
Level 4
Queensland, Australia

Just wondering if guests with more than one bad review get banned? I had an enquiry from a guest who had three of the worst reviews, and admitted he’s paying off a $3400 damage bill blamingnit on his ex who he said used his account. Why do they still have an active profile?