Breaking the Ice!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Breaking the Ice!

I feel the most important part of the experience of hosting is to put your guest at ease. In many instances it is a 'leap of faith' as far as they are concerned! They have no idea what they are getting themselves into other than a few pictures and a heap of house rules!

I have just accepted another booking this is the way I accept...

original.png

This sort of acceptance gets the friendship ball rolling and by the time the guest arrives they feel comfortable that they have made a good decision. If you start off on the right foot, more often that not, the rest of the hosting is a breeze.

And as a footnote to that here is the response...

original (1).png

So there you go, when these people arrive, they will arrive as friends! And I am 100% sure there won't be any issues!

Cheers......Rob

6 Replies 6
Frances27
Level 2
Oslo, Norway

I think this is a good initiative on the part of the host. I usually send a message to my guests prior to arrival to get things rolling. I made sure to do similar in my instant booking message too. Am a bit worried about privacy for the guest though. Is it okay to post your conversations like this, I mean with their name, picture and all? 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Frances27....Yeah I did think about that Frances but I don't think any harm will come of it, and if the forum moderators consider that it does invade listing standards they will remove it. I wanted to get across the importance of setting up a rapport with guests from the start, and rather than just talk about it I felt the best way to do that was by showing an actual screen shot!

But your point is taken....cheers.....Rob

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Frances27.....Good call on your part. The sensitive part of the post has been removed and I do also feel better about it now!

Should have put my brain into gear before my fingers!!!!!

Cheers.....Rob

Derek6
Level 2
Portland, OR

The best way to make your guests feel "at ease" is usually to just leave them alone.  I rarely meet my guests...they check in to the space with a key code and text me when they have left.  I live 10 feet away in the house next door and the guests know it so if they need anything I'm usually available.  Hands off is the best policy...I have a five star rating and 125+ reviews.  If guests have questions or concerns they will reach out to you for assistance,  most travelers aren't really looking to make friends with every host, they just want a comfortable and private space with a good WiFi connection...I just leave it at that, anything else and you run the risk of becoming a cheerful annoyance.

While "leaving them alone" is a great method for Entire House listings - it's not really the same as renting a private room in your house.  You WILL be around your guest sometime or another and best to start that interaction off on the right foot.  We give our guests privacy to do as they please, but also let them know they are more than welcome to come hang out in the common areas with us if they're up to it.  Most don't - but some do and it's nice.

@Cynthia-and-Chris1 @Derek6 You are right Derek, there is no way on Gods earth I would keep popping in 'next door' or down the street to intrude or make a nuisance of myself. And many guests do not want any interaction...they have come here to attend a wedding function, a reunion, or similar and the last thing they need is another round of socials! I show them the ropes and leave them to it, great!

But, Airbnb is a 'hosting' site and in many instances people who use ABB want to be hosted....otherwise they would just book into a hotel. Over three sites I have a similar number or reviews as you do Derek and the only 4 star review I ever got was my fault, I did not attend to a detail that I should have. Every other has been 5 star...and like you I am a Superhost.

What I do is not for everyone...in fact for most it is probably impossible but, I have learned from my initial few months in hosting that most who come to my area are from far away, in many instances overseas, they are travelling and want to interact with the local style as much as possible!

A drop box with a keycode is fine....but that's not my style!

And your point @Cynthia-and-Chris1 is really important. Although our cottage is self contained many hosts list a room in their house and have to go out of their way TO interact with their guests....It just becomes very uncomfortable for all concerned if you try to avoid them.

Different strokes for diffrent folks I say....cheers.....Rob