Calendar's misleading design

Ian20
Level 4
England, United Kingdom

Calendar's misleading design

I have just had yet another guest confused by Airbnb's calendar design. He wrote:

''I'm looking at your cottage and wanted to check if it's available on the dates I selected. am a little confused because the dates in between the 3rd and 10th appear to be crossed out.''

The days he refers to are available, but they are crossed out because they are not available as check-in days. This design is misleading and confusing.

Just looking at the calendar, i.e. if guests do not interact with it, they think the days are booked but the dates are simply not available as check-in days. The difference between the booked dates and the dates available - but not as check-in days - should be made clear.

I would suggest an obvious colour code system with explanatory symbols below the calendar alongside the minimum stay information.

Many people contact me because of this, but many don’t bother, they simply move on and we have lost bookings because of this problem. After seeing the Airbnb calendar looking 'booked' some of my previous guests have then gone to TripAdvisor to check dates and booked there - so the design flaw is losing Airbnb business too. I would much rather they booked at Airbnb!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do something about the calendar design to make it clearer: differentiate between booked days and days simply not available as check-in days - not every potential guest interacts with the calendar if they think the days are unavailable!

22 Replies 22
Ian20
Level 4
England, United Kingdom

@Ian516  thanks for your comment, spread the word! No direct feedback from airbnb still, but hope dies last! If I hear anything about regarding a calendar redesign/update I’ll post a new message here. Unbelievable that this is still not dealt with. 

Lisa5156
Level 1
Lewis Center, OH

Hi Ian,

I found this thread when searching for answers about this horrible calendar design. I’m new to Airbnb hosting and am literally in shock at how bad/misleading this is. I keep having family members reach out and tell me that my calendar shows booked all through the summer- although it’s not. 

I’m curious if you heard anything back??

Thanks,

Lisa M

Ian20
Level 4
England, United Kingdom

@Lisa5156 @Lizzie 

Hi Lisa,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing similar problems, it's so frustrating.

As yet I've not heard anything new since @Lizzie posted back in February 2019 - see post thread - almost a year ago! Had hoped with @Lizzie on our side and so many people having such bad experiences with the calendar design Airbnb would listen to us: the people who have to deal with this everyday. But it seems no one is listening despite @Lizzie's efforts.

I'm taking a break from hosting at the moment as we are renovating a new house. Hoping and praying Airbnb will finally sort this issue before I go live again. I've been dealing with this for years now - sent feed back on it SO MANY times. Love Airbnb but the lack of understanding, response and action regarding this problem is a big minus point and really lets down what is on the whole a great platform. 

If I do hear anything directly I will be sure to post any news here immediately.

Happy hosting!

ian

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Ian20,

Good to hear from you again. I am sorry that I haven't had more news for you regarding this. 

I wonder if you saw this post towards the end of last year. The Product Team have been testing some new designs for the listing page. One of the things that was highlighted by other community members is the ability in the calendar to see all nights available, even those when check-in/out is not possible. So things are moving on with the calendar. 

Specifically relating the design changes, outline in the article I include above, there will be more news on this soon and so once I hear more back on that, I'll let you know so you can see if the changes there have helped at all. 

Thanks again for your feedback on this and speak to you soon.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Just wondering @Lizzie if there is an update on this - very frustrating for guests and owners.

@Ian20 
- have you noticed progress on this important topic?

Ian20
Level 4
England, United Kingdom

@Charleson0 Unfortunately not. Took a break from hosting to renovate a new place. Came back to airbnb at the beginning of this year and STILL the calendar is misleading through its design. Many other OTAs have much clearer design.

Can’t believe the designers don’t check out what the competition is doing better!

@Lizzie any updates from your side?

@Lizzie  - I wonder if airbnb would prefer that owners didn't add calendar constraints as it reduces the flexibility for guests - hence why the design hasn't changed to discourage owners?