Disabled access

Answered!
Lynda18
Level 5
Kaikoura, New Zealand

Disabled access

I am both a host and a guest.  I find it incredibly difficult to find truly accessible accommodation.    When listing, owners tend to tick the box "Wheelchair access" if they think a wheelchair can get through the back door.   I'm not sure what we are supposed to do once we are there, if we can't get into the bathroom, toilet, or even the bedroom!   I feel that the listing should have a separate set of questions for hosts that want to claim that they are wheelchair friendly.   There are so many disabilities, thus a large variety of needs for different people.  If all the facts are presented then a person can decide if they can or can't manage.   It doesn't have to be perfect but there are important issues. - Are the doorways wide enough to take a wheelchair? can the wheelchair access the toilet area? is there a handle for support to transfer to the toilet? is the shower accessible (wet floor, support handles, non slip flooring)? can a wheelchair move to the side of the bed so a guest can transfer from the chair to the bed?  If this information was presented to me, (and other disabled travellers) we could make an informed decision rather than having to ask the same questions over and over again.  Pictures showing the facilities also help hugely.

p.s. - I'm proud to say that our place (New Zealand - Kaikoura - Redbarn Studio) is fully accessible.

Lynda

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

79 Replies 79
Allie5
Level 3
Wellington, New Zealand

Hi wonderful Airbnb hosts,

I have too enjoyed this thread and reading people’s stories. Coming from a stroke victim at age 8, causing my full Right side paralysis from eye down I know quite a bit about being in a wheelchair (for a few years or so)  and slowly regaining only partial use of my legs, learning to read write again with my left hand. There are challenges that I face even now, still at age 32, my right fine motor skills are still paralysed and foot with a prominent limp. To this day neuro surgeons are baffled as to why and there were no underlying factors as to why I had it.

I no first hand what discrimination feels like and it ain’t pretty, but I have learnt to accept who I am and take be gratful for the awesome life I live. When I was younger I used to really let it get to me, bullying didn’t help from peers. Strange looks, exclusion in games, rejection the list goes on. But after about 5 years I gained more self confidence.

While I have another job as a Sales rep for supermarkets, I have been a host with Airbnb for over 3 years now and absolutely love it with over 6 hundard reviews and I  live in the house to so get to interact with all the guests. Since I live with a stroke on my right I have developed a heavy reliance on my left in particular sever RSI in my wrist (going to have 3rd op in a few months).

That doesn’t stop e though and I just got super host. I have had a few looks, or questions from guests. I have only mentioned it to a very few guests as well.

Only once did a guest say a very cruel and hurtful comment to me about how I couldnt cope, about 4 months after I started hosting so a long time before the discrimination policy was introduced, if only she could see me now! Superhost and all, I think I’m doing alright, and I just think for a guest come into your house and blatantly put a host down like that after you showed them into your house etc etc says more about them than me. 

Here’s a list that I have for some of the gadgets and amenities I have here

1. Non slip bathroommats and boards.

2.Electronic tin opener is a must

3. 1 handed pepper and salt shakers

4. Lots of non siick chopping boards

5. Holders for pots and pans when they are on the element

6. Rails in shower

7. Trollies

8. All in one cutters/choppers

7. Kettle tipper I find round doorknobs so annoying and have wide doorways, no steps ( apart from to our back garden from our balcony, but there are railings)

8.Trays

9. Wall mounts for hairdryers

9. Easy cutters / holders for utensils

If anyone wants a more comprehensive list let me know 😁 

You are all fantastic hosts and I really enjoy being part of this communitie here at Airbnb.

Kia Kaha from Wellington

Allie

@Allie5  THANK YOU for your input. I'm going to keep the list. Cheers, cathy

hello all. My aunt is travelling to the USA on the 1st September 2019. she uses a wheelchair and is coming there for a medical appointment. we cant find any where to stay. we need some help finding somewhere. she will be traveling with a nurse any suggestion of places. for 1 month.

@Sophia297 Your best bet is likely a hotel or motel that states that they are wheelchair accessible. Or, you will need to search Airbnb with whatever accessibility checkboxes your aunt requires checked on the filter and start contacting hosts and asking them questions. I personally think that a hotel or motel will likely be a much safer bet.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines