Disabled access

Answered!
Lynda18
Level 5
Kaikoura, New Zealand

Disabled access

I am both a host and a guest.  I find it incredibly difficult to find truly accessible accommodation.    When listing, owners tend to tick the box "Wheelchair access" if they think a wheelchair can get through the back door.   I'm not sure what we are supposed to do once we are there, if we can't get into the bathroom, toilet, or even the bedroom!   I feel that the listing should have a separate set of questions for hosts that want to claim that they are wheelchair friendly.   There are so many disabilities, thus a large variety of needs for different people.  If all the facts are presented then a person can decide if they can or can't manage.   It doesn't have to be perfect but there are important issues. - Are the doorways wide enough to take a wheelchair? can the wheelchair access the toilet area? is there a handle for support to transfer to the toilet? is the shower accessible (wet floor, support handles, non slip flooring)? can a wheelchair move to the side of the bed so a guest can transfer from the chair to the bed?  If this information was presented to me, (and other disabled travellers) we could make an informed decision rather than having to ask the same questions over and over again.  Pictures showing the facilities also help hugely.

p.s. - I'm proud to say that our place (New Zealand - Kaikoura - Redbarn Studio) is fully accessible.

Lynda

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

79 Replies 79

Hi Shaun

I read your post with interest. I live near Pulborough, West Sussex and am struggling to find accommodation for my 18yr old disabled cousin to stay this Christmas. We would like him to be fairly close to our family home so that we can celebrate together. We have had this problem many times before, I am now seriously considering building a complex of units (probably 3 or 4) at home in our field. The planning consent will be a nightmare as we are in South Downs National Park. Any advice would be very gratefully received. 

The most important thing is to get the accommodation to be as flexible/suitable as possible for everyone’s needs

Congraulations on your project

Becky

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks to you all for contribution here, most recently by @Lynda18@Shaun69@Lilly28@Robin4@Thomas393@Helen427@Sarah977@Inna22@Ephraim0@Catherine577@Helene152@Andrea1546. I know this was first started some time ago and is an important topic, which sounds dear to your hearts. 

What would you like to see on Airbnb as a host/guest to make it easier to find suitable listings? 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Pictures are needed. I have handrails in my bathroom, and a guest with M.S. asked to see pictutes of where the handrails are placed. Hosts should be required to add pictures to any feature of their home that they claim is an accessibilty feature. Hold a ruler to doorways, toilets. Take a picture of entrance to home that they claim is accessible. 

The term "accessible" means wheelchair accessible. If the home has ANY steps to get inside or any steps in the home then it is NOT accessible. You must refine your definition on the site. I've seen homes with steps claiming to be accessible. I use a power chair so I know.

We are trying to source a manual wheelchair for a guest. Add that feature: "spare manual chair to use".

I bought a raised toilet seat for this guest. 

Appliances: are any out of reach? Ex. my microwave is built in above the stove, so it may be hard to reach for someone in a wheelchair.

Toilet: many wheelchair users must bring their chair along side the toilet to transfer over. Does toilet allow that? Picture required of toilet & shower: any steps in to shower area? 

Shower Chairs: does Host have any? Picture required because there's a variety. The one that's truly for wheelchair users has a bench attached to the actual chair. Chair must have a hand rail. 

Another feature could be a spare 3 or 2 prong charger for power chairs. 

Furniture Placement: can wheelchair access seating in Tv room for easy transfer from whchair? Many of us have enough mobility to transfer from whchair to the couch to watch TV. Hosts would need pictures of room and hallway layout with wheelchair access.  Many rooms are cluttered & I've been known to move furniture so I can see the TV. 

SO- Pictures are required to show wheelchair accessibilty

Give space next to feature for Host to add comments

Let Hosts add additional accessibilty features that may not be listed.

*DEFINE ACCESSIBILTY as WHEELCHAIR accessible.

*REQUIRE PICTURES

FOR GUEST:  They can mark whether they :

1- Use Wheelchair 100% of the time

2- Have some mobilty & use an Assistive device like a walker or cane.

That would help me as a Host.

Add whether there's a spare walker for use & description..some have wheels, for example. 

that's all for now. 

And PLEASE do not put wheelchair-bound on the site. "USE" a wheelchair is better.

My amended designation of disabilty:

1- USE wheelchair 100% of time

2- Use wheelchair and has some mobility ( That's me!) i.e. Can walk short distance with assistance- another individual or stair rails & handrails.

3- Has mobility "challenges" & uses an assistive device ( walker, cane, etc). Can manage shower with small step or tub, but requires shower/tub chairs. Needs accomodations.

4- Has mobility issues, uses assistive device, does not need any special accomodations ( step free, rails, shower chair)

5- Hearing Impaired

6- Vision impaired

7- Please list any accomodation(s) needed but not mentioned above.

I'm suggesting what would help me.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide more information on this @Catherine577, it is really interesting and detailed. Do you think if there could a number of different categories for accessibility to make it easier for guests and hosts to define this? 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Shaun69
Level 10
Hurstpierpoint, United Kingdom

Lizzie,

This issue is not very easy to clarrify because each disabled person has a different set of needs and requirements for accomadation. However I do not think it is beyond the capability of a big company like AIRBNB to invest in a page of detail regarding the suitability of a property for disabled guests. I personally find it very dificult to list disabled accessability on BNB because how would I explain that I have built a purpose driven seperate bathroom and shower/toilet 20 metres away from my lodges just for disabled guests!!!  We feel very strongly that we run an totally inclusive site here but without the tools to list facilities it is easy for me to avoid complications by simple not getting involved with disabled assesability on BNB. Sorry if I sound negative but a host needs to be so carefull to comply with the law regarding this issue that it is easier to not get involved with trying to list on a site that doesnt provide the tools to give guests the data they require to truely establish disabled accessability!!! Please do not think I am knocking BNB I am just stating the facts of life regarding this issue.

@Shaun69 Hosts shouldn't have to comply to any law unless they state that the house is "compliant".  It's a private residence that is making certain accomodations for people with mobility issues. No guarentees. 

Regarding your bath, you can put it in your heading or description. You can certainly say that your bath area is accessible & further define in listing. If people don't take the time to vet a place before booking then they are subject to your cancellation policy. Period. A disability is not a free pass.

Hi, @Lizzie, the key here is the amount of mobility( ability to walk) that an individual has. 

I think we could call it "Accessibility Needs":

1- Uses wheelchair all the time. 

a) Power Chair- requires highest level of accessibilty..

b) Manual chair- this person may be a bit more flexible. 

This category has restricted mobility( cannot walk) & needs home that has roll-in shower, side access to toilets, no steps, ramp, wide doorways,etc. 

2- Uses wheelchair or assistive device like walker most of the time, but can walk short distances with help. Here a person is more flexible to the level of accessibility.

This is me. Use wheelchair so no steps, need ramp, but can stand to reach things, can manage small step in to shower, but needs guard rails, shower chair preferred, hand held shower preferred, tub use only with shower chair with bench. Can do a few steps with hand rail. 

Note: again, the person who uses a power chair must have no steps, ramp, wide clearance,etc. You can't lift a power chair over steps.

b) manual chair- can be lifted & moved easily if person needs to walk up a step to get inside. 

#3) Can walk short distances using an assistive device like a walker or rolling walker.

** I just found out that bed heighth is key even for this category. My current guest with MS had to have the bed frames removed so she could use my bed.  She needs guard rails in the bathroom by the toilet/loo & hand rails inside shower; she needs hand held shower and a shower chair ( without the bench), and needs an elevated toilet seat.

We also bought a transport chair for them to use on excursions. 

Key here is lots of communication prior to check in about her needs.

Anyone using an assistive device needs a certain level of accessibilty. Key is to have communication with host to further define a person's needs. 

Leave the ADA & laws out of the equation. Make sure that the guest knows it's his/her responsibility to communicate with the host prior to booking to make sure that the place suits his/her needs. It's called personal responsibility. If a guest doesn't communicate needs with host PRIOR to booking then they abide by the host's rules of cancellation. Period. We're all adults. If you don't add this level of expectation then you leave yourself open to frivolous cancellations & the host loses out. I'm a host & whellchair user. 

phew, that's all for now...thanks for listening.

It's a learning experience for those who are not disabled.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

This is an interesting topic. I actually ran into a serious issue with using the accessibility checkboxes that Airbnb provides on my listing. I wish that there was more clarity on them: I would suggest something like "Property is fully accessible" rather than the myriad of check boxes that are currently offered that may or may not tell the full story.

I had ticked some of the accessibility boxes on my listing, as they applied to me: wide doorways, accomodation all on one floor, and a few other things. My property would be good for someone using a walker or cane or with limited mobility, but it's not really wheelchair accessible due to the driveway (gravel and slope may make it tricky), and there isn't sufficient space next to the toilet for a transfer. I would never discriminate, but I would advise anyone using a chair of the difficulties that might present themselves if the person is a full-time wheelchair user.

In February, I got an instant booking for March break for a full week. The person was local, and they said nothing when they booked. I tried to reach out a few times to find out what the situation was as local bookings make me nervous. They never replied to any conversation, but they had a number of good reviews from other hosts, so I let it go. Check in day came, and it turned out that the guest used a wheelchair full-time. They found that the property wasn't suitable. As a goodwill gesture, I called support right away and completed the cancellation penalty-free to the guest. I lost a week-long booking last minute that I was not able to fill, and the guest had nowhere to stay: it was a lose-lose.

After that happened, I unchecked all of the accessibility checkboxes to be sure that people wouldn't book again in future, thinking the space is fully accessible when it's not. I really wish that the choices were more transparent. Even if the guest could see the boxes that aren't checked, I think it would provide better clarity.

@Alexandra316 hi, you should have followed your normal cancellation policy. It was her responsibilty to make sure the place would work for her. I use a wheelchair. I'm not exempt from rules. Buyer beware, and all that. 

Check the boxes OR put the accessibilty in your description. Remember: accessibilty means no steps. Put in rules that you cannot in good faith rent your place out as suitable for someone with special needs unless you discuss their needs prior to booking...or something like that.

@Alexandra316 One thing more: a "property is fully accessible" definition will never work because of all of the mobility issues in my comments, and, more importantly, the general public does not know what accessible is. Just saying as a wheelchair user.  You should get your money from Airbnb for that cancellation you mentioned. Not your fault. Guest is at fault for not speaking with you. Just my 2 cents worth...which is nothing if you apply the current rate of exchange...lol! 

@Catherine577I do really appreciate you providing your opinion: it's good to hear from someone who uses a wheelchair and has to navigate this type of thing. 

The guest actually didn't ask for a full refund: I offered one as a goodwill gesture. She absolutely should have asked more questions and communicated better: the situation could have been avoided if she had mentioned the wheelchair or asked about accessibility at all. I feel like it might have been partially age and experience: she was very young. 

Going to down the road of including any information in my listing on the type of guest I accept or do not accept makes me nervous: I'm afraid it will open me up to claims that I am discriminatory. I already had my cottage reported because I only rent to people over the age of 25, due to the rules where the cottage is located. I did clear it up with Airbnb, but it still makes me nervous. I hear what you're saying, that one size doesn't fit all when it comes to accessibility, but there has to be some way that Airbnb could make it clearer. Again, I think that even showing the boxes that aren't checked would help. 

If I was going to make a statement in my listing regarding accessibility, how would you word it? I don't want to use ablist language or seem like I'm being patronizing. Perhaps something like, "The Flat may be accessible for walker and cane users. Please contact me to discuss prior to booking"? I'm just honestly not sure. 

@Alexandra316, first, other sites allow a min. age requirement. I don't see how you can get in trouble for that?? 

Re: your listing, rather than say it may suit a specific person/disability you can just show photos with description as normal & say in your listing what you'd normally say. Make sure you have photos of steps, bathrooms,etc. Don't present it as accessible or not. Let people come to you with specific questions. Better to just play it safe until you feel comfortable showcasing it as accessible- or not. People can decide based on accurate pictures of they can manage the place.Happy to answer questions any time...

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

My current guests have a disabled child. I have stairs to get into my place, but the house it self is all on one level. I do not claim to be handicap acessible in any way. I would have never known this if they had not asked for directions to Morgan's Wonderland last night, which is a non profit amusement park designed for the handicapped in San Antonio. I am located 30 minutes from the place. 

@Letti0, parents didn't say anything because they can manage on their own. That's my guess.