Discovering Disrespectful Guest behavior post review

Maribeth4
Level 1
Bryan, TX

Discovering Disrespectful Guest behavior post review

We hosted guests this weekend that had no reviews, however this isn't uncommon in our area, because of the nature of how fast Airbnb is growing in our area. Upon initial inspection of the home there were a few things that seemed odd, but nothing to thumb a nose at. We submitted a good review. That night we noticed that our thermostat wifi was turned off (a setting you have to go deep into the settings of the unit to find and change) when having to go in to reconnect everything noticed time had been changed to military time (also a deep hidden setting).  This is a very easy and basic thermostat with a + & - to change the temperature no settings need to be adjusted inorder to set a desired temp. When we came home this afternoon noticed that our A/C was running at 60* all day because they had set a "M-F" schedule for it to do so. The guests were at our home for Saturday and Sunday.  In addition, as we went to bed last night we went to plug in our phones to the outlets powered by our headboard. This is an old house and those are the only 2 visible outlets on that side of the room. Those outlets weren't working because the guest had crawled under the bed to unplug them from the electric supplying outlet. This made other things like leaving the oven rack laying in the kitchen floor and food on dishes now seem from the bent of disrespectful and not just out of sorts. Who knows what we will continue to find over the next couple days.

I would like other hosts to know about this kind of behavior, but once you submit your review and they theirs (which they did promptly after they checked out) You cannot change or add to a review. Has anyone had an experience like this were the initial review is not an accurate depiction and wanted/needed to change it? How did Airbnb help, if at all? (I have messaged them about it)

6 Replies 6
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Maribeth4as far as I know Airbnb will not let you change your review once it is published. In some rare cases they would remove it (if it is offensive for example) and that's it.

Maybe the next time wait few days before you write a review.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Maribeth4  If the guest has not posted a review and it's within 48 hours of you posting yours you can edit the review. 

Can I edit a review I wrote?

You can edit a review you’ve written for up to 48 hours after you post it, or until your host or guest posts their own review.

To edit a review:

1. Go to Profile on airbnb.com
  2. Click Reviews
  3. Select Reviews By You
  4. Find the review you’d like to edit

If it’s been more than 48 hours, or your host or guest has also posted a review, your review can’t be deleted unless it violates our content policy.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/367/can-i-edit-a-review-i-wrote

Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

@Maribeth4, You said they already submitted their review and then you submitted yours, So I’m sure you were aware that you cannot change your review. However you can answer their review if you have not done so already and the time has not run out. You could put something to the effect of whatever it is that you’re trying to get across to let Hosts know That things were discovered later that would not have been immediately noticeable. I don’t know about other hosts, but I always go check and see how the host answered the review from the guest as well. I understand that things can change after a couple of days and you discover little oddities. I hope this helps, have a great day.

@Ava, I always read the reviews that guests leave for hosts. I downloaded AirReview on Google chrome and it makes life easy. Try it if you don't already have it. (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/airreview/plkdnpjpnhhnmigmekaocdfokkmebdnm)

I would advise that @Maribeth not respond to the guest's review citing issues with the guest because those responses should be geared toward future guests. It will look awkward to guests reading the review and the response that has nothing to do with it. Maribeth’s response will only affect her profile/listing not the guests.

Andreas-and-Anna0
Level 10
West Vancouver, Canada

it is better to wait a week or so before reviewing

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Maribeth4 you will be surprised at all off the things you are yet to see. We have had guests that think is appropriate to open the airconditioner to check the filters, other that manually tried to ajust the plastic that moves ( i dont know the proper term ) and ofcourse they broke it.  Guests who leave the aircon on all day with windows open while they are away. People that unplug all of the bed lamps out of the sockets that in order to be reached they have to move all kf the beds. People who rearange the beds, people who remove the matrasses from the beds and put them on the floor to sleep, people who use the sleeping blankets as beach towels...the list is endless. Unless something is broken and they refuse to pay for it or the place was trashed, I dont see why you should try so hard to change the review, just let it go and next time wait a couple of days before writing a review.