Do you worry about booking a new listing with no reviews?

Answered!
Leo62
Level 1
Edgewood, WA

Do you worry about booking a new listing with no reviews?

I have searched and cannot seem to discover what kind of vetting process Airbnb uses to make sure the places they offer are legit.  I can piece together a general idea. They seem to have a traveller guarantee as long as you contact them within 24 hours after supposed check in, and it looks like Airbnb keeps the money until after the booking is complete in case a refund is in order, so I would imagine that it is hard to get scammed by a fake listing.  

Typically, I would steer towards places with great reviews, but I am seeing a trend of new places being listed cheaply; I imagine it is to compete with places that have 50 reviews; the cheaper rent will attract people who will then build up reviews which will then allow the host to command more rent.  

But it is still worrisome to book a new place like that.  Anyone else share this concern?  Is it something to worry about?  My thinking is that if there is a decent guarantee, and it is a rare occurence to have a problem with new listings, then it would be a great strategy to book the new listings at reduced rates.  

1 Best Answer
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Bhumika_0-1699305952693.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

24 Replies 24

Hi Alexandrea,

You must receive a response from the host.  The host will give you access codes to get into the property or have keys for you somewhere on the property. etc.

If you do not get a confirmation from the host.  I would cancel the booking.  There is usually a cancellation policy.  

Or, you can contact AirBNB themselves.

I always contact the host prior to booking.  Normally a host will want to know about you, why you are travelling. etc. To get to know you first. 

This rule has served me well.

My rule of thumb....go with a host that has great reviews.  I have never gone wrong and had many very good airbnb stays for business and pleasure.

im curious to how a host can be a member since 2017 and have no reviews in 2019 , any thoughts?

@Stephen624   A host could have been a member since 2017, but used Airbnb as a guest for travel, and only just recently started hosting.

If there are reviews for the listing from 2017, and then none for 2018 or 2019, the host may have simply stopped hosting for one reason or another, and decided to start back up again. They may have had personal circumstances that made it difficult or impractical to host (ill family member, adult child or other family moving in, needed to do major renos). There's no telling. When people have questions like this, I just say, why not message the host and ask? Just say you're curious, it doesn't have to sound like you're suspicious of something strange. I've done the same with guests who had had accounts for a few years with no reviews. It turned out to be something totally straightforward, and they were lovely guests.

Depending on the location, it is possible that STRs are illegal where the host lives and he's asked guests to please not leave reviews so he doesn't get busted. And we're only 2 and a half months into 2019- there might be a longer term renter in there who booked from Jan-March and hasn't left a review yet. And not all guests leave reviews. So many possibilities. Just ask the host. 

ok , thanks for reply. the property is in Verona, Italy.

Brittany287
Level 1
Niagara Falls, NY

This is exactly how I feel  the price was great but no reviews, kinda got me like .....

Trace386
Level 2
San Diego, CA

The one I just booked in Vienna has not had a review since November 2019. I booked my stay in April for Sept. 2022.  The place looks beautiful, and the last review was nice.  I just thought maybe some updated reviews would appear, but nothing even though I can see that they were booking.  I go to Europe twice a year and use Airbnb everytime, and no issues yet.    Maybe I am just paranoid.  I'll find out when I arrive. 

You could ask the host @Trace386.  She might have a lot of bookings from another platform, she might have closed during Covid.  As long as she's communicative you should be fine.

Good point..I'll see if that is the case.

thanks..

Scarlet95
Level 2
Usansolo, Spain

I find it more concerning that a property is listed as new when it isn’t new. It’s only listed as new. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Bhumika_0-1699305952693.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines