From cleaning person: "All my other houses, the guests take out the trash!" - How do YOU handle?

Answered!
Joanne-Flynn0
Level 9
Phoenicia, NY

From cleaning person: "All my other houses, the guests take out the trash!" - How do YOU handle?

HI Hosts!

Do you ask your guests to remove garbage upon checkout or leave in the house?

I am a (super)Host of a cabin and I've also started co-hosting a ski condo.

Most guests are 2 nights so I ask guests to tie the garbage bag up and leave it in the kitchen. (if someone is staying longer I let them know there's a garbage bin in garage)

For the condo the cleaning person said, "for all my other houses the guests take the trash and deposit in dumpster."

I personally don't want the last thing the guests remember as they are leaving to be the trash. For example guests may think and write in a review, "why am I paying $75 cleaning fee and STILL have the take out the trash!"

I want to be open minded about this and ask other hosts how you handle.

Do guests take trash out for short stays?

If you ask guest to take the trash have they ever commented about it in your reviews?

Thanks so much host community!

1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Unless there is a good reason (bugs, heat etc.) why the rubbish needs to be taken out asap, no, I don't think guests should be required to do it, especially if it's a short stay and ESPECIALLY if there's a cleaning fee. As a guest, I would have no problem taking out the trash and have done so, even when it wasn't required, but if I was charged a cleaning fee and the host expected me to do it (outside of locations where heat and bugs are an issue or there's some other important reason), I would find that weird.

I do ask my guests to put their rubbish/recycling/food waste in the appropriate kitchen bins while they are here, because the council requires these to be separated and can impose fines. But, I or my cleaners then take it outside.

Taking out the rubbish is just a standard part of a cleaner's job. I have never come across a cleaner who didn't view it that way.

View Best Answer in original post

48 Replies 48
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Michelle1851 

That's interesting. I find that recycling is one of the things guests struggle with the most and that's even before we had to separate food waste. Some guests just can't get the hang of it, even after weeks or months, and I do have a flyer on the fridge that explains it really clearly, with pictures! Other guests just can't be bothered and even resent being asked.

From what I've read on the CC, it's very common for hosts to ask guests to take out trash, but I've never before heard of a cleaning person who thinks it's not part of their job.

We just had guests leave us six large trash bags full, on our back porch!  They were here three nights!  Does this sound normal to any other hosts?  We found this disgusting and sickening...

@Mike-And-Kristin0  It's astounding how much garbage some people create. When I lived in Canada, raising my 3 kids, we had one small shopping bag worth of actual garbage in a week, for a 4-person household, because I had a compost box, recycled whatever could be recycled, and stayed away from overpackaged products. My neighbor across the alley, a single guy, always had at least 2 large garbage cans full every week. I really couldn't understand how one person could generate so much garbage. 

Takeisha0
Level 2
Las Vegas, NV

This makes sense.