Guest is asking for a partial refund saying house was unlocked

Diana455
Level 2
Dolores, CO

Guest is asking for a partial refund saying house was unlocked

Hello-  I would greatly appreciate some objective feedback.  I had a guest call me after 9pm Tuesday.  He said he was not sure how to get into the property, though my instructions clearly spell it out.  I let him know again that he needed to use the side gate.  I didn't hear from him again until late afternoon the following day.  He asked for a partial refund, stating that his wife and daughter did not want to stay in the house becaue there were doors from the bedrooms leading to the outside (these doors have deadbolts on them).  He then said when he arrived the house was unlocked. 

I have been renting my property for years, and have never had an issue like this.  I had my property manager and the sheriff check out the house.  There was trash in the trashcans in the house, so the guests obviously spent some time there, but the beds did not appear to have been slept in.  Despite calling me on the phone moments before entering the house, he did not call me to say the house was unlocked, nor did he call the authorities.  He apparently did feel comfortable entering the property, as well as bringing his wife and daughter into the property. 

I honestly do not believe the house was unlocked.  My property manager had checked everything the morning before he arrived, and she is very conscientious. 

This guest booked the house for 11 adults, yet only he, his wife, and daughter came to the property.  I'm wondering if the rest of the guests cancelled? 

I definitely could have rented the property over the holidays, so any refund given would be a loss.  I'm wondering if, since he is making the claim within 24 hourse, I will be stuck no matter what?  The property was in perfect condition.  We spend a lot of time/money/effort to make sure that it is.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance-  Diana

1 Reply 1
Sora0
Level 7
Singapore

I have guests that asked for partial refund as they are leaving ealier than expected and one left us once they checked out with entire guest house in good condition. Both incidents I did not offer any refund.