Guests arriving late night instead of the intended 2pm. Should I reduce rate?

Guests arriving late night instead of the intended 2pm. Should I reduce rate?

Hi, 

I am a new host and would appreciate some advice.

My guests ( 4 persons ) were supposed to check in today at 2pm. There's a slight problem on their side and they are likely to arrive only late tonight. It was a last minute booking and the guy did ask if he could get a discount. I said I could not offer as the price is very low for a luxury apartment of 2300 sq. ft.

Should I reduce his rate for the first night if he asks? He  has been friendly and polite. And if I agree, do I just reduce 1st night in the reservation page? 

Will hosts get penalty for reducing rates after booking has been made?  On another matter, any penalty for reduction of guests after booking is made? 

Thanks

Regards

Mary

6 Replies 6
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mary348

Absolutely not - they are still arriving and sleeping. Their travel arrangements and plans are not to be subsidised by you.

if there were unable to stay for a full night then you might consider a token gesture if you wish.

also beware that guests who push for discounts are often those who do not end up appreciating what you offer and constantly push for more and more.

Thank you for the advice. I shall keep that in mind.

Regards

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mary348

Also meant to say you don't get penalised for changing the rate after a booking is confirmed (providing of course that your guest is happy with the agreed rate change!)

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Mary348

NO!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I agree there is no reason for you to offer a reduction, there is no reduction in cost to you, you still have to prepare the home no matter what time they arrive.

Also unless this is a whole house listing with electronic check in, I would restrict the check in time say until 11 p.m. You don't want to be waiting up all hours for guests to arrive.

Also your prices are ridiculously cheap already, I can't believe the cheek of your guest to ask for a discount.

Have you compared prices locally for comparable properties?

You might want to increase your prices if the market shows you are undercharging?

Thank you all for the advice!

Unfortunately my lovely apartment is located in a small city in Malaysia. I live in the capital city. Previously we priced higher. There were hardly any takers. Then we lowered till this rate. And bookings started  coming in. Some of the other airbnb listings here are nice in their own standards and  cheap. Hotels here are cheap too. We intend to increase later. We are still quite new.