Guests overstaying.

Anne1150
Level 1
Rosses Point, Ireland

Guests overstaying.

How do you prevent guests from (a) asking to check in early and (B)taking over your privacy if they stay more than 1 day.

If guests stay more than one day they frequently come back to the house for eg a snooze in the afternoon so your house is not your own while they are there. They want Hotel services but at Airbnb prices  

7 Replies 7
Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

@Anne1150  As to early check-in, just remind guests of your set time for arrivals.  They should understand you need time to get their room ready in the event another guest has just left.  Regarding taking over your privacy, as hosts, we have invited these people into our homes.  They are paying us to provide that place to take an afternoon snooze if they so choose.   All your reviews show you are a very wonderful and welcoming host.  Perhaps you need a short vacation for yourself.  I know at the end of this past summer, I looked forward to a weekend without guests.

Michael956
Level 10
Salvador, Brazil

You can't stop people from accessing their room in the afternoon.  I also don't like it when people return in the early afternoon from sightseeing, as that is my time for housecleaning as well as having the house to myself.  However, they've paid for the room and they have every right to stay in the house the entire day without leaving if they so  choose (thankfully that's never happened).  Just grin and bear it.  In my case it rarely happens and mostly I have the house to myself from late morning to early evening. 

Michael2413
Level 3
North Andover, MA

We don't mind giving early check-in when the room is ready but we really do hate it when guests pressure us about it.  The worst is when they come to drop off bags and then just stay in the living room until the room is ready (we had a guest stay in the living for 8 hours waiting for the room to be ready) while we were home waiting for the other guests to check out and then cleaning the room.  As for guests coming back for the day:  they definitely have every right to do so.  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Wow, suprised you let the  incoming guest do this @Michael2413 when your other guests hadn't checked out yet.

I always agree check in's in advance of a guest's arrival. If they arrive early I direct them to local cafes's/restaurants/attractions.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Anne1150 A guest coming and going from a room whenever they choose (apart from coming home late and noisily if you have quiet hours) they are paying you for is not "hotel services". Of course your house is not your own private space when you have guests in a shared home situation,  I don't know how you could think otherwise. I would be irate if I booked a room in a shared home and the host expected me to stay out all day.

@Anne1150

I would not consider a guest staying at home during the day as "taking over my privacy" and don't think coming back early after sightseeing for a nap could be considered as expecting "hotel services". The guest has every right to come and go as they please for the duration of their booking as long as house rules are respected. I would expect no less as a guest user myself.

Looking back on some of my guests some would come home only to shower, sleep and be out at school or with friends or be busy sightseeing all the time. Others only go out for classes and spend the majority of their free time at home studying or just hanging out. Henry and I don't mind either way 🙂

One funny thing we noticed was that one of our guests who spent the least amount of time at home actually went thru noticably more amenities (TP, kleenex, shampoo, soap) compared to other guests and our water bill was also way higher.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

(Sorry, I cannot tag anyone on the portable device... ugh!)

Hi Anne. 

As recommended by Linda and Richard, you might just need a break or a holiday yourself. For we are in the hospitality business, which requires us to be hospitable.  If I pay the rent, I expect access to the paid space. Nothing more, nothing less. If a host expects a good review, then they need to not make me feel I’m invading their space, or visa versa. 

Sarah has hit the nail on the head.

Airbnb community is just that: a sense of communal... not resentment. Sure there are rules and expectations, but... when we get tired, we can get narky... but we need to blow it off and be professional: firm, fair and friendly.

🙂

Cathie