Host put up Security camera inside listing???

Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

Host put up Security camera inside listing???

Ok, I am a host and I recently stayed at another hosts airbnb. I started a different thread about my experience but I wanted to start a second one because it warrants its own discussion.

When we got there it was obvious they had substantial video surveillance around the exterior of the property. They even had a little sign about it on the front porch. I wasn't too worried about until I went in the kitchen and saw a camera in the ceiling corner!  I was really creeped out!  Is this even legal?

I unplugged the camera and I looked all over and didn't see any other cameras, but I totally felt like I was being watched the entire time I was there.

36 Replies 36

Well, I am a host who have security cameras in common halls. Halls are public spaces. As long as hosts do not have cameras in bathrooms and bedrooms. Strangers are in my personal home with several spare bedrooms. For single female guests, they love the idea. For protection of myself and guests, I can have proof of any interaction between guest and host. Because they can say its his word against her word. Regardless of guests people are strange and have no problem at lashing out at others or private property. If guests break my house rules and I have video footage to prove it. Guests will still break your house rules even if a camera is pointing at them and then they will say she's spying on me. Really!!! My cameras are recording 24/7 and Airbnb do not back up hosts, when guests leaves retaliatory reviews because of your cameras listed.

How is a hallway in a home that somebody is paying you to rent considered a public place?  It’s hard to believe that single females love the idea of you watching them walking down the hallway and listening to them.  If you are that worried about strange people lashing out… don’t rent out your personal home. 

My guests are short-terming a room in my personal home. The guests are not short-terming my entire home. The hallway is a shared hallway, and not solely for the guest. Private bedroom, shared bathroom, and shared hallways. 

why?

I totally agree. I am a Airbnb host as well. And I have cameras inside my home, and I do list these on my property so that my guests are aware , and I don’t do it to spy on my guest  as I don’t monitor these cameras, I have one guest bring an unauthorized dog in my house and it completely destroyed my hardwood floor and the carpet and when I sent pictures to Airbnb they offered me $100 . it ended  up costing me $2000  out of my pocket to fix the damage carpet and flooring. I’m sorry my beach house is an investment and I’m not going to allow people to destroy it. Certainly I have the upmost respect for my guess and I want him to have a very good and welcoming experience. 

Forest8
Level 2
Destin, FL

I know what you mean I just currently checked into one with a camera in the kitchen pointing at the door but if you go to the door naked or put your shoes by the front door you're in plain sight. 

Sherri176
Level 6
Fort Worth, TX

On the recent indoor Camera ban: not good for hosts who share their home and rent out guest rooms to mid term/long term renters (30+ day stays). I was able to prove a guy said he was going to punch my dog...they didn't even cancel his reservation until the following day, so he got to threaten violence and still stay with me while I live in the home and he rented the guest room...the cameras don't protect me from bodily injury obviously but they showed proof of acts of aggression....which kept me as a host active so I could continue hosting. I do month to month fully furnished all bills paid rooms with mini kitchenettes, tall dorm fridges, breakfast table-en suite and only have 3 cameras, the front door, the living room, and the kitchen. So crazy how after 4 years this indoor camera ban happens. Since I live in the home I should be allowed to keep my camera in the kitchen and the living room.