How Do You Estimate the Cost?

Rey18
Level 2
Sioux Falls, SD

How Do You Estimate the Cost?

Furniture rental, electric, gas, cookware, extra guests, and so on. How do you calculate the cost of everything? It's one of things putting me off to AirBnb.

18 Replies 18
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Rey 

i assume you want to setup a proper nightly rate ?

Look for similar listings in your neighbourhood and investigate their pricing. Furniture "rental", gas, elektricity are not the main issues. It's about what you have to offer to guests: size of the accomodation, shared or private facilities, location , quality of beds/amenities,extra's like breakfast, etc.. 

You probably know allready the costs of electricity en gas for your accomodation. The heating or Airco  is most consuming, guest should not waste on that, but they need there comfort, be prepared for higher bills !

Best regards, Emiel

So you can basically just haggle on the price then? That's kind of cool.

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

I can tag you Rey but  do remember also you can claim a lot of things back on your tax return like depreciation of assets, maintenance, a percentage of all your bills . Well at least that’s how it works in NZ

I don't pay taxes. Tag me?

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Rey0 It's a total waste of money to rent furniture too expensive in the long run. Buy it and write it off.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hi @Letitia ,

i don't think he wants to rent furniture, i think he want some clue how to "write it off" ?

BTW you adressed the wrong @Rey , must be this @Rey .

The automatic tagging system has a software error, so be aware.

Maybe Ray just missed out the comma between furniture and rental.

What does "write it off" mean?

It is depreciated items you can lower your taxable income by. Providing cable, wifi, amenities are also items that you can charge off against your income recieved from the rental unit if it's an entire place rental and in some cases a shared unit. I just finshed ordering all my final big item furiture peices for my Cottage last week. Ouch! Today I ordered all the silly misc. things I had not bought yet. I had gotten all the kitchen, bath and bedroom basics and extras already gradually over the past year, so I was covered there. It was another $2,000+ for sewing kits, fire extinishers, water bottles, basic kitchen essentials like oils, spices, coffee and filters, teas and so much more, first aid kits, tampons and pads, supplies like toilet paper, paper towels, body and hair washes, dish washing and laundry soaps etc., guest books, guide books for the area, etc. etc. etc. the list never seemed to end. Although the items themselves were not all that expensive, adding them all to one purchase was. It's the small little things that end up costing a fortune. You need to document every item to write them off as an expense against the income earned, so make sure you do this. I use Quickbooks Pro for this and my accountant is a happy man and charges me less for being so organized.      

What if it is just for one night? Seems like a huge waste of money.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Ray,

You are under the mistaken assumption that You can come up with a price based on Your costs.

That's totally wrong.

The price You can ask for has to be based on the pricelevel of the competitors in Your area.

I never said that at all. I was unaware about the haggling thing. 

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Emiel0 Furniture rental is a very popular thing in the US. Many younger people rent beds, sofas, TV's etc. when they get their first place and as they buy their own stuff gradually they cancel/return the rental items. If it's short term 3 months or less it's pricing is okay for the new first time renters, but any longer and it's just too expensive. 

Maybe like Ute said it was just a comma error and I took it wrong. 

I have never heard of renting furniture. But I am certianly not bringing it with me.