Impact of my first 4 Star review

Answered!
Julie469
Level 2
Salvisa, KY

Impact of my first 4 Star review

Hey there.

I've had quite a few guests and have never had anything less than 5 stars. This last guest left a 4 star, truly because he didn't read the listing (heck, he also parked in front of my garage and blocked me in because he didn't read the manual). He didn't like the price, wasn't pleased that there was just a "small bed" for the second person even though it is clearly stated that the 2nd bed is a twin trundle.

The other bed is a twin as well, so I don't know why he thinks it's so small. He also complained about not being able to watch tv, but again it's in in the listing that there is no cable in the room. His review was all positive, but then gave 4 stars. I've been hearing about hosts getting into trouble because of the star system and I'm trying to figure out what to do about this.

He said all was great publically and then boasts a 4 and private feedback. We are so close to Superhost and I'm afraid this dude ruined it. What do you suggest?

1 Best Answer
Joanna85
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

I have hosted over 142 bookings since February. 

I had Superhost, then I didn't. I am literally one 5 star review away every time since I lost it.

The more you host, the more different sorts of guests you get....the odds are, you're going to get lots of a mix if you host a lot.

You CANNOT get wrapped up in the reivews.  Want to know what's funny---I never have the same thing brought up over and over--it's a gammit of complaits.  I just had a guy complain about the matress..first one in all these bookings...some say it's the best sleep they've ever gotten. So am I gonna go out and buy a $3000 matress--no freaking way.  I will deal with his low rating.

If you are Superhost or not, it makes no difference.  I still get booked.  Customer service treats me the same.  I still get inquiries, I still get people who never look at my listing or even read the reviews.....all I can say is, do your best.  People are goofy.  And honestly, many experienced hosts will tell you the review system is just totally flawed.  Don't fixate over it.

Try to just enjoy hosting or the whole review thing will eat you alive!

View Best Answer in original post

36 Replies 36

Adam, I totally agree that the worst reviews are given by the off peak bargain travellers. I really think some people think I should host them for nothing. I feel like telling them to sleep in their car but I am too nice to do that! And do not get me started on locals and other hosts!

If they don't like it I just ignore it now. I am not going to make everyone happy but I do my best and that is good enough for me. Luckily 96 per cent of people are fine.

Honestly, it is better to just leave the guests some inexpensive snacks and make a breakfast menu that is an additional cost, optional and separate. Some of the guests are real heathens (luckily only a few we have had) and the ones whom you go 110% out of your way with seem to be the ones that will simply not leave 5 stars....they review Air BnB accomodations as if they are world class hotels, yet these frugal penny-pinchers don't have the budget or desire to fork over that kind of money.

I recently had an idiot book with us because we are across the street from his friend...so what does he do when reviewing location? He gives us a 4 star....what a jerk,eh? If he was any closer to his friend's place he would have been cooking breakfast for his new husband across the street!!!!!

Bottom line, do what is in the realms of your kindness without being put out too much. These people are already getting a deal so don't go overboard, but don't be overly frugal. A happy medium is required for the host's sake and the guests.

Dixie7
Level 10
Dunsborough, Australia

I love your response. I get the same disappointing 4 stars for Location. I charge $60 a night for private accommodation in a tourist town (cheapest and best value from what I've gathered from viewing other ABBs in my area) and I'm less than 2kms from the closest beach, shops, etc. I get so angry, I want to ask them why they booked my place when they could have easily booked a place in a better location at over twice the price with less to offer. The location is clearly stated in the description and sometimes I wonder if the price stands out to them like a beacon (and they like that very much) and they don't bother reading any further. Then when they get here, they're surprised to discover there's no wifi or kitchen (both clearly noted in the Amenities). The way I'm learning to look at it is "you can please most of the people most of the time but there's no accounting for the opinions of a few lousy guests". I work really hard to make my place as clean and comfortable as possible and, for the timebeing, apart from the odd disappointment, I'm still loving hosting.

Russell49
Level 10
Katoomba, Australia

I recently got a 4 star review by a complete jerk as well. He left all 4's, despite him booking based on the location, he left 4 stars. Despite me communicating swiftly, clearly, etc..he left 4's. Despite catering to him and giving him more variety of tea because he didn't like coconut flavored or other various flavors I got a 4, despite getting a cheaper rate and making this **bleep** a great breakfast with extra expensive truffles-a 4. The whole row was 4's as if he didn't assess what he was rating....Guests like him will eventually ruin the enthusiasm we feel for others because of their lack of accurate rating. Why bust your hump knowing that there is some slack-jawed moron that will screw you over on the rating and fail to help you with the review that leads to getting superhost status. They treat reviews very non-chalant, while Air BnB will send hosts warnings for 4 star reviews...this is a major error on Air BnB's behalf.

Roberta196
Level 2
Laramie, WY

I don't understand - is a 4-STAR review that bad? I understand that you feel it when you see 4 and you're used to 5 stars. I have been giving most guests only 4 stars under House Rules if I know they didn't read the house rules. I have reconsidered that because the 4 always feels like a blow - but 5 stars should be reserved for people who really go the extra mile in guesting/hosting, shouldn't it? Are 4 stars detrimental?

I recently got ONE STAR from a guy who was a jerk and did not read my listing before booking. I'm not so worried about the text of his review - happy to have others like him stay away, and I think decent people can see it for what it is. 

But how long will it take me to recover from 1 star, if 4 is terrible???

Interested,

Roberta

@Roberta196, a 4-star review is bad for hosts because if you are trying to get SuperHost status, then 80% of your reviews need to be 5-star.

Plus, I don't know what the average rating is in your area, but I keep getting reminders that the average rating in our area is 4.9, which is hard to beat if you get any significant number of ratings below 5.

@Roberta196, in the world of Airbnb, 4 stars is treated as a bad review - I assume it is the same for guests as for hosts. I think I have only given my guests less than 5 stars in maybe 1-2% of my bookings (about 150 by now).  I think you're being a bit harsh on the guests -- who almost NEVER read the house rules (see the many threads on that subject on this forum!)

Good luck hosting!

Well, 80% is not too hard an average to keep up - IF anything less than 5-star is an insult. It kind of makes everything else meaningless and puts a big pressure on everyone to be hysterically enthusiastic about each other. But maybe it makes us all behave that much better, too.

I wonder - if I give a guest 5 stars in 3 areas and 4 in another - that is still basically a 5-star review, right? (I know, I probably have the wrong number of categories.)

I do think we should leave room for honesty - and if guests aren't reading the house rules, then they should be. My 1-star review is proof of that.

If we can go to the trouble to publish our listings just-so and then make the place just-so  -  then guests can go to the trouble to read our listings before they book. Especially when Airbnb is not willing to review - um, reviews - for fairness.

I also think four stars for a considerate guest who just naturally stayed within rules isn't harsh. This I think we need to be more realistic about. Otherwise we should have two stars - 1 for Terrible, 2 for Awesome.

Just trying to keep things in perspective!

I have been a bit more strict with my ratings since I have been treated this way with a few ratings since normally I am too nice.

When a guest checks out without texting or doesn't tell me when they are arriving-they get no 5 star for communication.

When they leave my door unlocked, yet put the key back on check out-they get no 5 star observance of house rules.

If they leave bags or food containers on the ground, etc-they get no 5 star for cleanliness either.

Sad that AirBnB doesn't see how slack the system is that they created.

Joanna85
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

I have hosted over 142 bookings since February. 

I had Superhost, then I didn't. I am literally one 5 star review away every time since I lost it.

The more you host, the more different sorts of guests you get....the odds are, you're going to get lots of a mix if you host a lot.

You CANNOT get wrapped up in the reivews.  Want to know what's funny---I never have the same thing brought up over and over--it's a gammit of complaits.  I just had a guy complain about the matress..first one in all these bookings...some say it's the best sleep they've ever gotten. So am I gonna go out and buy a $3000 matress--no freaking way.  I will deal with his low rating.

If you are Superhost or not, it makes no difference.  I still get booked.  Customer service treats me the same.  I still get inquiries, I still get people who never look at my listing or even read the reviews.....all I can say is, do your best.  People are goofy.  And honestly, many experienced hosts will tell you the review system is just totally flawed.  Don't fixate over it.

Try to just enjoy hosting or the whole review thing will eat you alive!

@Joanna85- Love your attitude!

WHAT customer service???  I really want to know how to get this - I was able to access it, and then it was completely gone.

Thanks for the inspiration!

@Roberta196

The best results occur when you send Airbnb a direct message on Twitter.  I have tried calling but when you need something important or something besides a quick general question, tweet the reservation code and explain the situation and clearly state the outcome you want.  In a few hours you will get a message someone will handle the case...then a CSR will call you.  This always, always works best.  When I call the 800-line, nothing ever comes out good in the end because ultimately for more than general things, that person has to create a ticket then send the ticket to someone else.

Christal1
Level 2
Honolulu, HI

I just received my first four star review. Unbelievably, it is from a woman who only stayed for two nights. She wrote her review in German and complained about the location of my apartment and the fact that I had different kind of sheets/bed cover than what she is used to. All of my other guests have loved my location - there is a bus stop in front of my apartment building and I’m within a ten minute to half an hour walk from major attractions. And I offer great deals - this woman only paid $35/night plus cleaning fee. In conclusion, some people are never satisfied. They pay less than most hostels to have a private room in a clean apartment and some will still expect the Ritz Carlton. I was shocked at first but after a few hours, I am now focused on my future guests. Nothing you can do about picky former guests. Just be thankful you never have to see them again. 

Moiz2
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

Airbnb has a flawed rating system due to many reasons.

1. The stars are interpreted differently by different people. 

2. The bad ratings hurt the hosts more as they loose business from good quality guests.

3. The bad ratings end up hurting considerate/nice/forgiving people more.

4. The ratings cannot be changed!  THIS IS JUST STUPID.  THERE SHOULD BE AT LEAST ONE REVISION ALLOWED AFTER BOTH REVIEWS ARE VISIBLE.

I agree...there needs to be a solid standard of how to review/rate and accountability to back it up or completely do away with fake judging.

IMO everytime I get a 4 star,it makes me as a host wanna punish the next guests by being less generous with snacks or other things that I do not need to provide since my generosity seems to have been overlooked and may be overlooked again.

I feel this system is too snake-ish or backstabbing.It means that when one person decides not to get petty in a rating or review, but the guest gets petty then someone gets screwed over....It is non-productive for the host if constructive criticism was truly needed.

This is what has lead me to be more strict in my ratings to those who seemed neutral or whomever I got the wrong social cues from. Sad that it is like this as most people just wanna get shown the same courtesy in reviews and be able to overlook petty things.

Also, the guests have NO clue that a 4 star rating has an impact, let alone is not a good standard for AirBnB. In fact, they believe it is great, yet not to AirBnB. This is where there is a double standard.