Linen

Rod-and-Phyllis0
Level 1
Dunsborough, AU

Linen

Hi, Does anyone charge for linen and if so can incorporate it into the pricing if you have instant booking

5 Replies 5

@Rod-and-Phyllis0, is it customary to charge for linens in your area?

Here, I haven't thought about it because linens of all types are assumed to be included (sheets, duvets, bath, hand, and face towels, etc.).

What happens if the guest does not opt for linens from the host? Do they bring their own?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rod-and-Phyllis0

I am proud of what l do and the service that l provide to guests!

To be honest Rod and Phyllis, I find that statement of yours quite appalling and offensive!

What do you actually provide that you don't charge guests as an additional item?

There are certain minimum requirements when you host a property and bed linens are accepted as one of those minimum requirements!

You are being deceptive because in your listing photos you show made up beds with matching  duvees and pillowcases and you then turn around and say..."Oh well in actual fact what you see there is extra"

This is not a part of hosting that l want anything to do with.....you are being deceptive, simply as that! Show your listing with bare bed frames and mattreses so that guests will not get the wrong impression!

Do you expect them to bring along their towels, face washes as well, pay for the electricity they use, the water they drink!!!!

@Matthew285 it is definitely not customary in Australia to charge additionally for such a basic requirement....please do not judge all of us by this post!

@Rod-and-Phyllis0 If I can give your a serious piece of advice, price your property to include what in the accommodation industry would be regarded as a minimum standard.

But if you insist on following this path state in your listing description that bed linens are an extra and will require an additional payment of xxxx dollars, and if a guest chooses to still proceed with a booking under those conditions, in the message stream click the field that says 'Refund or request money' and send a request for an additional amount for the guest to accept to cover this additional charge! 

I like to be a conciliatory person...but gee, sometimes it is hard!

Cheers.....Rob

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Rod-and-Phyllis0 I would say roll the cost of providing linens into your per-night or cleaning fee. I personally wouldn't charge it seperately.

That being said... I have seen other basic listings in Australia and Europe that do have linens optional, where there is an extra charge. It's common in hostels or hostel-like environments. I'd say your cottage looks far too nice for that. I would look at similar listings around you and see what they're doing also. If you do decide to charge for it, you can send a request for money after the booking is made, or you can send the guest a special offer for a price that includes the linens before the booking is made.

One of my two properties is located in a resort community in Canada where most people who rent their cottages don't include linens with the listings. I do, because I really don't like the idea of people using our beds without proper bedding, but the majority of other hosts don't. Again, I would look at your local competitors to see what they're doing.

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

@Rod-and-Phyllis0, you CAN separate out the cost of linens. Be sure that you have the "Essentials" unchecked in your amenities list. You'll need to take on the extra work of communicating the lack of basics to your guests (both in the listing and during the booking process), dealing with any fallout (they'll see this as nickel & diming, or bait & switch) and then ammending each reservation to include the linen charge.

In reality, most guests will expect basic things like bedding, towels, and TP as part of your nightly price.  As a guest who thinks linens should be a VERY basic part of hosting, I wouldn't give you anything over 4* in my review, even if the rest of my stay were perfect. Also consider what happens if they don't accept the charge, or say they'll bring their own? I'm imagining some clever improvisation wherein your drapes become bedsheets for guests who arrive late at night to bare mattresses. And who dry themselves with 3 rolls of toilet paper.

I think your guests' experience (and your ease of hosting) will be much better if you include it in the nightly rate.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rod-and-Phyllis0

Rod an Phyllis, I would like to make an apology for an answer I gave to a question of yours yesterday.

I had no right to make the statements I did to you.

I try to offer well balanced opinions but every now and then I overstep the mark and I did yesterday to you.

There are times when one should stay away from public comment for one reason or another.

I have a wife in the latter stages of MS and yesterday was not one of our better days. I had to put her into hospital for treatment of this disease that is progressively claiming her.

I felt it might do me good to get my mind away from events but on reflection it was not a good judgement on my part.

What I should have said to you, on your listing editing page if you click 'Edit' for the "House Rules' section and scroll down to an item 'Amenities Limited' you can state in this section that certain elements of your listing are not automatically supplied and if required will attract an additional charge and you can state what that charge will be so that the prospective guest will be informed before they book!

Sorry once again Rod and Phyllis.....today is a better day and I hope my advice is too.

Cheers....Rob