London key handover help!

Richard233
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

London key handover help!

Hello there -

I'm a new-ish host. I've just realised that some guest who I'm hosting will be arriving on Christmas Eve when I'm out of town. I can prepare the flat fine, but I'm not going to be there to let them in.

I wonder if anyone has any solutions for key hand-over and welcome services? This is a family coming from Switzerland to spend Christmas in London, so I'm keen they have a good experience. We're in north London, near Manor House Tube. Likely to be a one-off so I'm after a one-time solution!

Any ideas welcome.

RG

9 Replies 9
Raffaele-and-Astrid0
Level 10
Coogee, Australia

Hi @Richard233

If you can't find anyone, just leave the keys hide somewhere or under a plant pot, take the picture of everything and send to them with the instructions.

good luck

Cheers Raf

Julia66
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

@Richard233  We went to an apartment in Spain and picked up the key from a nearby bar and dropped it off there too.  This suited us well.  Don't go into too much detail on this public forum, though!

J24
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Google it - Keynest

Marc12
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for the kind mention @J24!

Yes KeyNest is the largest network of key exchange stores in the UK. We hold your keys securely and welcome your Airbnb guest. We're used on a daily basis by hundreds of London hosts to let their guests in. Happy key exchanging!
Marc, KeyNest founder

PS. Please don't hesitate to give us your feedback! We're always happy to help.

Jason109
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Hi Richard,

Keycafe has over 40 fully self-serve Automated key exchange systems throughout London to help you with your next guest Check-in!  Keycafe is part of the Airbnb Host Assist program so you can automate your entire guest check-in and check-out process using your existing keys and an app!

Penumatsa0
Level 1
Nottingham, United Kingdom

Hi @Richard233

I would like to introduce you to Parcelly.  Parcelly’s key exchange service provides a simple, secure and cost-efficient solution for your needs. The Parcelly app allows you to have complete control over your keys.

Currently we have more than 1500+ key-exchange locations spread across the UK (300+ only in London), served through local businesses like cafe’s, convenience stores, off-license’s, dry cleaners and pharmacies.  All our locations are open late (many 24 hours) and on weekends.

If we don’t have a location near your property which we highly doubt, we have an in-app feature which allows you to request a new location – we aim to open one up for you within a week!

The process is very simple:

• Download our application
  • Choose your preferred location
  • Sign-up to one of our key-exchange models
  • Deposit your keys at your preferred location
  • Share your collection pin with your guest
  • Track your keys

We also have a 24/7 support team to assist with any queries.

Please take a look at our website for details of how to sign up and our competitive pricing: http://www.parcelly.com/partnerships/key-exchange.

Best Regards,

Parcelly Team.

You can purchase a key holder that locks onto your doorknob or a nearby railing or post.  The guest can get into the locked key holder using a code that you provide.  If you do this, you must have a back up plan in case the guest can't figure out how to get the key holder open.  These key holders are sometimes a little bit tricky, you have to dial the numbers exactly correctly and line them up perfectly.  Try it a few times yourself so you can coach them by phone if needed.  Your back up plan could be a friend, neighbor or local business that has a key, but you would only call that person to let them in if the guest can't get the lock box open.

Konstantina7
Level 1
Narborough, United Kingdom

The only service that is on 24/7 is Keyping https://www.keyping.co.uk/

There are more than 1200 locations across the UK.

Keyping uses automated lockers to store and exchange the keys. The lockers are in public places with nearby parking. They should be within 10-15 minutes from wherever you are. They are remotely operated and have CCTV.

You get an authorisation code to open the locker and place or pick up the key. Totally safe and easy.

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Richard233 I use a padlock key safe for when I am not at home and guests want to check-in.

I created a self check in doc in Powerpoint with pics for each step, so there is no room for error on the guests part! I will send this out to them a few days before they arrive- along with the 4 digit code for them to use when they arrive (changed for each guest to be safe!)

I also keep a spare key in there, (and instruct the guest to leave it there) so if I happen to not be around and they forget or lose their key, there is a spare.

Just attach the lock somewhere discreet that can't be seen from the street.