Mattress Incident

Robert-And-Bel--My-Partn0
Level 2
Wales, United Kingdom

Mattress Incident

Hi there,

Just wondered if any of you out there have any takes on this...  

Our recent guests contacted us saying that the older gentleman in their party who stayed had wet the bed. they are offering to cover the cost of a new mattress, which is great.  I just feel bad, as mattresses are quite pricey, and perhaps this situation could have been avoided had i had a good mattress protector on the bed...   Learned that one for next time!   

Anyone have any views and do you normally have a mattress protector on your beds?

Thanks for taking time to respone

Bel

9 Replies 9
Wendell1
Level 2
Durham, Canada

I have 100% waterproof mattress protectors on my beds.  It could be incontinence,  excess fluids from sex or menstruation (hasn't happened but I've heard about it)  Even spilled coffee and alcohol. Best to protect as once it's within the guts of the mattress, it has to be replaced. 

Since it is accidental and the mattress is expensive, I suggest first call in a professional cleaning coy.

You may be surprised on mattress cleaning and how hygenic and great it is.  Worth doing as cost of cleaning

can be billed to guest quietly and much less cost.  If you haven't already - just purchase terry waterproof fitteds for every bed.

We use a topper over every mattress, then the waterproof and then the fitted or bottom sheet.  Waterproofs need to be washed regularly to meet health dept standards in Australia.

Good luck

Tony-And-Una0
Level 10
Belfast, United Kingdom

Hi

Just an aside.  

We gave up with expensive matresses and switched to basic Ikea matresses with thick matress toppers. Everyone comments how confortable the beds are. The matresses were £80 /100 and have washable covers.

Tony

City-Limits-Ranch0
Level 10
Watsonville, CA

Layers from bottom to top

-waterproof/bed bug proof zippered mattress cover encases entire mattress

-thick not waterproof cotton quilted mattress cover

-waterproof mattress cover with terrycloth surface (light weight easily washable)

-fitted sheet

-top sheet

-duvet cover and duvet

Kerrin

Aaron112
Level 2
Las Vegas, NV

Personally, I always have a waterproof mattress pad on my bed. For exactly that reason. Also, I am in Vegas and live in fear of the drunken party pee, so far it hasn't happened, but I assume its a matter of time.

This is the pad I use for reference:

https://airbnbhostshop.com/collections/mattress-toppers-pads-protectors-for-short-term-rentals/produ...

Also the mattress I bought from the same place came with it's own cover. 

Robert<
  Always protect your mattress with a protector! Cleaning the mattress just cannot be done correctly. Liquids such as uine will seep down into the layers of foams. Impossible to remove through cleaning. If you guest offered to replace the mattress I would take them up on it. 
   Something new to consider when selecting a mattress is "Can I make even more money off my listing buy selling the mattress??" The answer is YES! One of the newest ways to maximize your listing is to partner with a company to sell the mattress directly to the guests. All you have to do is place a placard next to the bed and if the guest loves the mattress they place an order on line using a coupon code tied to your listing. The mattress is roll-packed and shipped within a week. Commissions are paid monthly. Easiest way to bring in another revenue stream to your listing. 

https://recovrmattress.com/pages/referral-program-for-airbnb-hosts  

Dawn305
Level 2
Isle of Palms, SC

Omg a mattress pad is a must. I’m grossed out by the fact that we stay in a “ Luxury studio Airbnb and there was no mattress pad !!😳. I have a waterproof pad and mattress pad on every one of our beds. !! 

Steven614
Level 4
West Palm Beach, FL

I have a waterproof cover on the memory foam mattress tin the room I let on AirBnB. It’s the kind that is quiet and soft but still waterproof. I think I paid about $23 on amazon. If ever there were any issue, and also periodically, that cover is washed in the machine on hot with bleach and tide etc.  so far it has not been soiled. Also have one on my own bed because one never knows. I once took a sleeping pill and it kicked in when I was eating ice cream and I fell asleep with melted ice cream all over the place.  So it isn’t always people's fluids one needs to worry about.  

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Tony-And-Una0 

That is unfortunate but with hosting it is always a possibility, you just don't know the capabilities of those who stay with you and you must protect yourself.

My reaction would be to follow Susan's advice and have the mattress professionaly cleaned. This will not only remove the damage from this guest but, as your mattress has been unprotected it will have built up a sizeable quantity of skin cells and professional cleaning will return it to good hygenic condition.

I am sure the guest would be happy to meet you on the cost of cleaning because all you are asking them for is a re-instatement of what you already have.....you are not asking for anything new!

You must have a mattress protector. I spend a large sum of money on our listing bed and I actually have two mattress protectors on it.....one a good quality one and the top one a cheaper terry towelling version. With over 300 hostings and many little 'accidents' nothing has ever made it through to the bed itself. After each guests I wash everything down the the main mattress protector for each guest. I also have pillow protectors which get washed between every guest along with the pillowcases. I would never, but never expect a guest to sleep with their head on someone elses dribble....particularly after they have had a few red wines!!!

Tony and Una, you do learn the hard way but now is the time to protect your investment, protect your bed!