Our HOA rules don't allow for "Time sharing of the units"

Mahtab1
Level 1
San Diego, CA

Our HOA rules don't allow for "Time sharing of the units"

Hi,

We would like to list our property on Airbnb, but checking with our HOA I found the following rules:

• No timesharing of the units are allowed.
  • No unit shall be used except for "single family" or "residential purposes".

When speaking with our HOA representative, she told me that we can "rent" our house out which would fall under the second rule of "Single Family" or "Residential purposes", but no vacation rentals are allowed based on the above rules.

Has anyone had issues like this or is there room for interpretation when it comes to HOA rules?  There is no clause for a "minimum 30 days" rental in our HOA rules.

We were hopeful we could use the proceeds from renting our house out in the summer to be able to travel, but now the rules are very much stopping us from doing so.  We only wanted to rent our house out for 2,  2 week periods over the summer.  Any advice on how to get around the rules?

Your help is very much appreciated. 

Thanks.

1 Reply 1
Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

Could you ask them for clarification on what a rental vs vacation rental is?

I'm guessing it's perceived "revolving door" of guests they're objecting to. For just a few rentals over the summer, you may do best to find renters among your extended social circle, not advertising in a way that's aligned with the vacation rental industry (Airbnb, VRBO, etc).