Permanent Stain on End Table

Ayman5
Level 2
Elkridge, MD

Permanent Stain on End Table

The guests were great; however, after their checkout, I saw stains on one of the end tables in their room. I tried stain removers to no effect. I went above and beyond for them, as I do for all guests. I'd hate to receive a lower star as retribution, but not doing anything will make me feel upset. What would you do? See 3 images on https://imgur.com/a/pc2eV08 and listing  https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/23237964?s=51

18 Replies 18
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Ayman5 Are these white stains on wood? If so I can tell you how to get rid of them. As silly as it sounds, it really works.

Oops. I just looked your table is a painted wood surface, so I don't know if this will work or not it does work on any stained wood surfaces. It might still be worth a try as it's still wood. What can you lose 30-60 minutes?

Heat up a steam iron on high. Get a plain white tee shirt and place it over the stain. Iron it with steam for about a minute, then lift the tee shirt off the stain and look at it. Put the tee shirt back over the stain and repeat this process over and over at first it will seem like it's not working for a while then suddenly you will see the stain getting lighter and lighter until it's finally gone. Depending on the size of the stain it could take 30-60 minutes to remove, but it does work. I have done it. I thought my mother was nuts when she suggested this lol...

@Letti0, you are a sweety lol.  They appear to be left from hot iron. But I will see if it works. 

Ayman5
Level 2
Elkridge, MD
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Ayman6 This link wakes up my antivirus-software reporting two(!) infections, so better not to use it....

The picture shows indeed stains from burning by an iron. Then they are not stains, it's just burned material, nothing to do about it. Maybe some liquid abbrasive if you are lucky. But table surface will never show "as before". Typical damage caused by the guest. Did you supply the iron (and a board) ?

Hi Emiel, not sure why the link reported infections. Per the guest, it was from their hair iron. My listing provides iron and board.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Ayman5  The theory behind this physic's wise is the the heat loosens the surface seal and brings the stain closer to the surface gradually with the on/off steam heat treatment until it's finally at the surface and then disappears. Strange using heat to remove a stain caused by heat seems riduclous to me, but on stained wood it works. Like I said I have no idea if it will work on a painted wood surface, but to me it would be worth a shot to try it. Let me know if you have any luck. If it doesn't work you can always get a tablecloth to cover the table, so you can still use it. A shame to have to hide a cute table though. 

@Letti0, thank you for such a thorough description. I now believe it is a scorch from using a curling or flat iron. 

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Ayman

An Additional problem with this is the next guest could complain about your standards of cleanliness, in a Hotel environment this table would be replaced.

Here in lies the problem, guest expect hotel standards at bargain basement prices, and if you been reading these blog lately some guest want the Host insurance to pay for any damage they did, conveniently overlooking the fact that most insurance companies expect the Host to pay a deductible on the claim.

Airbnb, in the fashion of Sisyphus, will set you a practically impossible task of summiting evidence of an almost forensic nature for your claim, presumably in the hope you’ll abandon all hope of reimbursement.

In my opinion, Airbnb needs to have guest purchase insurance and forget about the deposit and almost worthless host guarantee.

To be fair if you charging well in excess of $100 per night you could expect a positive outcome otherwise you’re potential whistling in the wind.

@Cormac0  Nope she charges $29 a night...

@Cormac0, I truly appreciate your pragmatic insight. Though hesitant, I am certainly going to reach out to the resolution center. It was a brand new end table, purchased in February of this year. 

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Looks like a mark from hair straighteners.  Can't you just twizzle it round so the mark is hidden by the stuff on the table?  Probably worth making sure there is a heatproof surface set up by a mirrors within flex length of a socket - I have a glass kitchen worktop saver on top of a chest of drawers.

@Kathie21, there is a lot I can do; swap the end tables, put decor, tray or a cloth on it.  My property was damaged, and I need guidance in resolving it.  I have reached out to the Airbnb resolution center and messaged the guest. 

@Ayman5  Here's a mistake you made. You need to notify the guest of a Request for Money and supply pic's of the damage and a receipt of replacemnt cost or repair. They either Accept or Decline your request. 72 hours after your request or upon their decline your can ask for AirBnB to intervine, but not before. You changed the order, so it will take longer to resolve now unfortunately. 

@Letti0, not sure what you mean by making a mistake, and would disagree. The guest has expressed remorse and is willing to pay the cost ($30).