Re.: Guest wants to cancel long term stay within 2 weeks of the stay date.

Hamsan-and-Zef0
Level 2
West Haven, CT

Re.: Guest wants to cancel long term stay within 2 weeks of the stay date.

OK, would appreciate your help here fellow hosts. 

A guest wants to cancel his 30 day stay with us ... just 2 short weeks of the stay. Yes, if I stick to the Long term policy, he loses the first month deposit which is $1000. 

I do have a strict policy that requires a 50% refund is a guest cancels within 5 days off arrival. Would love to hear you all chime in on this. How bad is it if I implemented the 50% refund versus the $1000 that he could lose? 

Thoughts? Thank you so much for your wisdom! 🙂

ZEF

p.s.: This is a 1st. time ever a guest is cancelling a long term stay so, my first experience with this. 

14 Replies 14
Mike77
Level 10
Bend, OR

@Hamsan-and-Zef0

Tell the guest to take his problem to AirBnB.  Let them decide how much of his money he gets back.  Let the guest do the work of getting his money back.  It is not your job.

Mike
AirBnB Treehouse for Rent
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7292887

Mike, 

Thank you for your input. Have you had any similar cancellations in the past or have heard of similar situations? 

p/s: Btw, I LOVE your treehouse! LOL 🙂

ZEF

I rarely have cancelations.  People that want to stay in the treehouse ... stay in the treehouse.  I have much less problems with people expecting too much... I tell them it is not a HOTEL, it is not even a MOTEL, it is like CAMPING.  So people's expectations are very low.  Anything that I do supply is a surprise to them.

Just my opinion but I am not their MOMMY or DADDY, I am a guy that sells them a place to sleep and take a shower, and take a crap.  That is it.  The rest of it is extra stuff that they can enjoy or not enjoy, up to them.

Mike
AirBnB Treehouse for Rent
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7292887

Great point Mike! Thank you for sharing! 😉

ZEF

Christy17
Level 2
Nashville, TN

Have you thought about offering them a refund for any days that rebook?  I have seen many other hosts offer this and have done it myself.  Obviously, you have to wait till the reservation would have ended to see what that ends up being.  The sooner they cancel, the sooner your calendar will open back up.  When you respond to their request to cancel, there is an option at the bottom that reads something like "keep cancellation policy in effect" (or at least it did last time I had the situation but the website changes so frequently that it is hard to keep up).  If you hit that button, it will accept the cancellation without giving a refund.  Hope that helps and good luck!

Christy

Take the money and let them claim on their travel insurance.

Peter, 

Well, according to AirBnB's long term cancellation policy, the money is already mine since it is considered forfeited. However, I am struglling with the idea of being nice or not. LOL

Christy, 

Thank you for the tips but that it not the situation right now. 

He hasn't checked in YET. He is due to arrive in 2 weeks but he has cancelled. He is trying to get his money back and asking for the $1000 via resolutions center. 

The question is, do I play nice and get my head stepped all over or, I let him pay and take it up with AirBnB. The long term policy is VERY clear than all long term cancellations that fall short of 28 days ahead of the check in date will forfeit the first month. 

So, just wondering if anyone has been in this hosting predicament before. 

While I want to be "nice", I am also playing by the rules. So, thought I'd ask around. LOL 🙂

Vasili0
Level 2
Minsk, Belarus

Hi!

I've booked apartment from September,20,2016.

And want to cancel reservation ( Strict)

AirBNB does not explains in correct way:

What I will get if cancel 30 days prior ?

Only "Strict: 50% refund up until 1 week prior to arrival, except fees"

But I am not cancelling 1 week prior to arrival.

But 30 days prior to arrival.

Question:

if cancelled prior 30 days - what the refund will be?

HI Vasili, 

Yes, AirBnB details ALL cancellation policies in link below (copy + paste it to your browser if you can't click on it):

https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies#strict

ZEF

Thanks a lot for help, Zef & Ham G.!

I appreciate it very much.

And would say that AirBNB should re-text theirs rules as sometimes it's hard to understand in details.

I would like to speak to someone at Airbnb. How the heck do I do that? I can't find a number. I'm a host. Thanks!

Try 

415-800-5959

In my opinion, considering the scale of Airbnb, the phone number should be readily available. We as hosts foster this business, and the website cannot address all the minutae that one may encounter as a host, and as a guest.

Suzanne99
Level 1
Fremantle, Australia

Hi I have a guest who booked for 32 days over ther peak season. The booking is in 2 months time and he says he has to return to Italy. He has contacted me regarding this but as I am a new host I am unsure what the policy and procedure is. Little concerned it is over the summer peak period. Does he go direct through Airbnb and what would likely fees be. I understand the Long Term policy applies automatically.   Suzanne