Requesting funds for additional cleaning

Leslie73
Level 2
Newcastle, Australia

Requesting funds for additional cleaning

Hi All, just after a little advice and experiences from long time hosts.  I have been hosting for about 10 mths now and have had no issues in this time.  Most recent guest has broken the Chiminae (was honest about it, but it was already cracked so not a big issue for me).  The house was left in a very dirty state, dirty dishes in the dishwasher and cupboards, soiled fabric on lounge and sitting chair, childrens greasy fingerprints over walls/glass/furniture/television, bbq left dirty.  Cupboards had all been pulled apart and things just shoved back in.  Cleaner has requested additional 2 hrs to bring back to standard.

I do not pass on a cleaning fee to the tenants to keep prices reasonable, but I have requested $100 from tenant to cover my costs for this additional cleaning.  I have detailed the issues in his review and cited he did not follow house rules.

He is refuting all of this and has not responded to my request for funds. 

Unfortunately my cleaner has not taken any photos for me to use as evidence (won't happen again).  My question is, should I even bother taking this to resolution in 72 hrs if I receive no response from tenant, as I don't have anything to provide to Airbnb in the way of proof.  As its $100 (small amount in Airbnb eyes), would they even attempt to recover this money on my behalf, or will they automatically just take it out of the $500 bond.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Leslie

1 Reply 1
Colleen47
Level 10
Frisco, CO

@Leslie73 It never hurts to ask. I recently had an issue like this, and normally charge $150 cleaning fee. It took me over 4 hours to scrub my floors clean! I just gritted my teeth and scrubbed on. I figured it eill come back to me in the end. On another note I was able to request payment for broken items, pictures of those and screenshots of Internet replacement items was all it took to get money from the security deposit. 

Cheers

collee