Service animals

Service animals

i am a host, i had guest book for 2 nights for 2 adults, when my housekeeper went to clean unit she said they a large dog and 3 guests and the unit was a mess, the dog was a big 80lb fur ball, with hair all over the unit. when i approached them they said the dog was a service dog, i then stated that i need to see the service dog docs, they said they do not have any. i am then contacted by air bnb, who emails i am on notice for discrimanation. air bnb does not take the host side they take the guest side. i demand an apology from airbnb who will not give me one, i own 27 condos and think i will be pulling all my listings, because how dare they say they are putting me on notice for something i did not or would not do, shame on airbnb

161 Replies 161
Rich3076
Level 1
Shaker Heights, OH

I think Airbnb needs to revisit this policy. It is being abused by dishonest guests. We just had a situation where a guest informed me that he was bringing his "puppy" with him. I said we have a pet policy and asked him to answer a series of questions and informed him that we require a pet fee of $200. One of the questions is about accidents: he said, and I quote: "i leave her at home alone everyday and no problem." What kind of service animal stays at home alone everyday? Then he asked if I would approve with a $200 fee. I said we would and asked him to promise a few things about cleaning up after the dog outside. After a few hours I get a message from him about not wanting to pay the pet fee because it is a service animal (clearly did some googling during this time). I inquire and he claims "emotional support dog." Honestly at this point I no longer trusted him because his story kept changing. I realize Airbnb allows guests to make this claim but VRBO does not allow it. Below is the VRBO policy: 

Is an emotional support animal the same as a service animal?
No. An emotional support animal may provide comfort and calming to a pet owner. These animals are different than a service dog because they do not have specific task training for a disability. The accommodation of an emotional support animal is something that hosts and guests should discuss and decide between themselves.

If you an Airbnb host and you agree with me, please contact Airbnb and tell them that this is not an acceptable situation. They really do need to find a way to prevent abuse of this loophole. I think most if not all of us would embrace true service animals, I certainly do. But scammers need to be stopped and the whole issue around emotional support dogs needs to be addressed. 

We also have this issue about a guest who booked for his wife and daughter’s vacation . His review was all about harassing his wife and daughter because of their service dog. First and foremost, we love dog as we have our own! We as a host love to welcome every guest as they arrived to feel at home, and his complaining about as soon as his wife and daughter arrived we harass them, it just happen that his wife brought a service dog with her but it’s nothing to do with that, we just want to welcome them and explain the situation. We’re very much aware of the law and the rules and policy in airbnb about service dog, but since we’re an Airbnb with no pet policy, hope guest will considerate enough to tell the host in advance that they have service dog which we’re not against with it, law is law! At least  for us to prepare early as possible to find someone to help us do the cleaning as it’s not a regular cleaning at all but deep cleaning, we need to do that in order for us to protect the next guest if they have allergy issue. We’re in a remote area, in a mountainous region, our next city will be an an hour and a half if we’re lucky to find someone to help us. Luckily, we don’t have the same check out as we do have 2 cottages and I’m the only one on that day to clean as my husband is working , and hurray we have a late check-in , or else we’re screwed, fyi I cleaned it for 6 hours! We’re trying to explain to her that in the near future and to help other host too, give us an advance notice to prepare because not all airbnb are in a big city that you can easily find a cleaner and not all host have their own cleaner,we’re in a remote area and I resigned from my job as we can’t find a cleaner and need to do it on my own!  And obviously he didn’t read our listing about us on the site 😊.,he’s complaining about it! Though we live in the property, we have our own entrance, our 2 cottages have their own entrance gate and different parking area too . It’s very private and fully fenced! The only thing shared is the laundry area which it’s black and white in our listing. We still didn’t reply on his review because we call airbnb and waiting for their action

Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

Since the condo in question can accomdate 4 guests, you would have been better off requesting the fee for the 3rd guest. You can't ask for "documentation" for a service dog (whether or not it's a real service animal), nor can you ask what the guest's disability is that requires a service animal. You can ask: 1. Is the dog a service animal 2. what work/task has the dog been trained to do.

"Emotional Support" animals are NOT service animal under the ADA and your state may have guidelines for where they are permitted.

I don't know if Airbnb has a specific policy for "Service Animals"  

Emotional support is considered now a service animal now as people with ptsd or autism need them just as much as a blind person and airbnb policy forbids denying a animal of this type.

This is a lie! I contacted Airbnb for a recent booking questioning the service animal accompanying guest and they said we as HOST, may always ask for documentation that the dog is in fact a service dog. Obviously not ask about the disability but anyone can claim “service dog” to avoid leaving pet at home or avoiding pet hotel costs !

the dog was roaming the property, unleashed. the dog was sleeping in one of my queen sized bed on a $150 bed spread, youbook for 2, you do not show up with 3, it does not matter how many the unit sleeps, show some respect for host who try and make their guest feel comfortable and memorable times on their vacation.  This dog was not a service animal. what service dog sleeps in a queen size bed, as a host i do not supply queen beds for dogs

@Denise-And-Stephen0

I'm probably wrong on this, though seeing all the posts on this forum of guests claiming their animal is a service animal makes me feel it's the new way pple have found to have their pet allowed.

The think with real service animals it that they have undergone strict and thorough training. They do not roam or sleep on human furniture.

If a supposed service animal is not behaving accordingly, it is reason to have them removed, but always do this by contacting Airbnb for interference.

Have a look at this thread in which in a post I added a link regardding rules and exception to the service animals:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/My-dogs-vs-service-dog/m-p/338012#M45278

There is no training required by law, only a doctors approval and recommendation. Read the disability ammendment to the constitution.  

You are absolutley correct. You CAN ask for documantation regarding training (you cannot require it), you CANNOT ask about the disability. If the dog is not behaving in a manner that a trained dog should behave (getting up on furniture, barking, toileting improperly), you can and should call Airbnb and ask to have the animal removed. You also can and should ask for an extra cleaning fee. Take pictures, document and above all use courteous language.

From the ADA website:

Can I charge a maintenance or cleaning fee for customers who bring service animals into my business?

A: No. Neither a deposit nor a surcharge may be imposed on an individual with a disability as a condition to allowing a service animal to accompany the individual with a disability, even if deposits are routinely required for pets. However, a public accommodation may charge its customers with disabilities if a service animal causes damage so long as it is the regular practice of the entity to charge non-disabled customers for the same types of damages. For example, a hotel can charge a guest with a disability for the cost of repairing or cleaning furniture damaged by a service animal if it is the hotel's policy to charge when non-disabled guests cause such damage.

The bottom line here is that if you were not informed about the animal it should not be there.

Please, get educated on the laws.

@Heather32  No, you can NOT ask for any form of documentation or “papers” what-so-ever. If a service dog is not working they can bark. Some service dogs have to bark in order to tell their handler they need help. 

You can NOT request a cleaning fee for any amount of fur. The only way you can request a cleaning fee is if there are inappropriate toileting, scratching, or chewing. I repeat, you can NOT charge a cleaning fee for fur no matter how much there was.

Via ADA and AIRBNB you do NOT have to notify the hosts. There is no reason to if it is a real service dog.

-Someone who has apartments, housing, and a task trained service dog.

What about the issue of the animal causing future guests with allergies to have reactions while staying in the property?

They don;t have to tell you according to their rules:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1869/what-is-an-assistance-animal

Screenshot_20191026-114143_Chrome.jpg

Please educate yrself this is airbnb's policy... I'm sick and tired of getting discriminated against me and my service dog. This is the reason I do not disclose that I have a service dog because they will find some other reason to deny me.. it's illegal to discriminate somebody with a disability and besides my dog is better behaved and most humans