Sexual harassment by a guest

Answered!
Leharna0
Level 1
West Footscray, Australia

Sexual harassment by a guest

I recently had a guest who drank quite a bit and then tried to kiss me

This happened on two occassions over a week of his stay. 

The first time I was so shocked I just ducked his advance and left it at that.  The second time I called his behaviour out, told him it was inappropriate that we werent friends, he was renting a room off me for a few weeks that was all.  He replied saying other women would welcome his advances.  I told him that no woman would welcome that kind of behaviour. 

He then went upstairs to his room and starting  banging and crashing about.  I was really frightened.  I had locked myself in my  room by that stage and decided the only safe thing to do was call the police.  I then called Airbnb.  Airbnb's response to the situation has been appaling.  I have sat on hold waiting for a 'safety' case manager for over an hour with still no progress.  It is 18 hours since the incident last night.  Airbnb have refunded this mans accomodation fees despite hot having spoken to me about the situation.  He will be making bookings with other airbnb hosts at their peril.  He needs to be banned from the platform. 

Having waited for 45 minutes to speak to a safety case manager, the line went dead.  No one rang me back  I cant believe how incompetent and dangerous Airbnb's handling of this matter has been.  I have now called four times.  I am yet to speak to anyone who can actually take the complaint and take any action on the matter. 

Has this happened to anyone else?  How do you keep the host community safe when these kinds of people are allowed to keep on booking accomodation??

1 Best Answer
Kira32
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

Dear @Leharna0 

If feel bad for you having to deal with this situation with no support from airbnb and even losing money over it.

When it comes down to safety always have a man who you can call if you don't feel comfortable with a certain kind of guest(go by your intuition, first 5 minute impression says enough). 

●Invite your friend/boyfriend/brother for a cup of coffee without telling it to your guest. It will make your guest feel uncomfortable and will back off. 

BIG HUG

kira♡

View Best Answer in original post

32 Replies 32

@Robin525 why can't you ban men from renting from you?

@Mike-And-Jane0 I don’t believe you can discriminate on Air Bnb based on gender and there is nowhere to state in the app that you only rent to females. Therefore, I would have to turn down reservation requests where I’m asked to provide a reason for my refusal to host a guest and I cannot say it’s because they are male. This would affect my approval rating and overall rating which is important if I want to stay on the platform.

@Robin525 assuming it is a home share you are allowed by Airbnb to only take guests of your gender.