Smoking (NOT) Allowed Filter

Brendan10
Level 4
New York, NY

Smoking (NOT) Allowed Filter

My wife and I cannot be the only travelers who specifically want to book places that don't allow smoking, right? In fact, I imagine the majority of guests want the same thing, but AirBnB only gives us a "Smoking Allowed" checkbox, which limits our searches to specifically places that we DON'T want. How is that helpful? We have to click through every place, go to amenities, scroll.. that is a silly amount of work for something that someone brainstorming search filters for an MVP travel app would have come up with in the first 5 minutes.

Is there any chance that whatever decision led to omitting this important feature will be reversed in the near future? And if not, perhaps an explanation could be offered.

Thanks,

Brendan

25 Replies 25
Tulio0
Level 10
Belo Horizonte, Brazil

That's a very reasonable request @Brendan10, I would expect it to be implemented as well.

Brendan10
Level 4
New York, NY

In the meantime, I threw together a quick Chrome extension to help: AirBnB No-Smoking Filter

It only runs on AirBnB search result pages, and inserts a "Is smoking allowed?" button on each listing that you can click to get a yes or a no.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Brendan10,

Thanks for starting this discussion here and welcome to the Community Center. My name is Lizzie and I am the Online Community Manager here. 

It is great to hear your feedback on how you search for listings on Airbnb and that you have created a chrome extention 🙂

This topic has been discussed a couple of times before in the CC, but it would be fantastic to gather more thoughts on having a specific non-smoking filter. I believe the CC is a great place to gather additional views around an idea or suggestion. We have a couple of other threads with ideas for feature enhancements, including one where a CC member included a poll (view post), once we have received a good number of responses I then feed this back to the team on behalf of the community. 

It would be great to hear your thoughts on this. 🙂

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi Lizzie,

It seems this topic has come up multiple times over the past year or so, and nothing has been done about it.

This seems strange as it is clearly a vast majority of people that do NOT smoke, and are looking for NON-smoking accommodation. However we are forced to wade through hundreds of listings to find the ones that are non-smoking. I usually even contact the host, just to be sure as we travel with our kids mostly and so definitely don't want smoking.

Since there is already a smoking allowed filter, it would be beyond trivial to also add a 'non-smoking' filter.

So why hasn't it been done? 

I'd like a clear answer from you as to when (not if) we can expect this essential filter to be available ?

Please let us know !!

Alternatively, please open up your API to third party developers, as I'd be happy to write the filter myself.....

Marc

Brendan, that's great.  Would you also be able to write something like this to exclude the smoking places AND the pets allowed places?  I have to manually screen for both now.  Thanks!

You are a god among men.  Does this still work?

You're a lifesaver, Brendan! Thanks for sharing the extension. It's unfortunate we have to turn to a Chrome extension to get this information in the search results, but it's definitely better than opening each one individually.

Christa2
Level 2
Tampa, FL

I like the idea of the filter.  I am a long time hostess who allows smoking only on the covered garden patio, accessed off the living room. I keep an ashtray & lighter on the patio table.  The vast majority of my guests are non smokers but the few who smoke are fine with this option.  I provide this info in a couple of different spots, but most read about it under House Rules, which they must agree to before booking. 

Amber18
Level 3
Perth, Australia

All our listings clearly have in the description that smokers should not book our listings. Then it says even if you're an outside smoker then still do not book. We have always had this in the description and I think it's fair to do. My house my rules.
Lu-Ellen0
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

Dearest Airbnb,

We love you. We really do.

Can we PLEASE have a no-smoking filter? 

Quick. Easy. Painless.

Thank you!!

Lu Ellen

Kristin48
Level 2
Toledo, OH

I agree completely and also wish this was possible for no pets.  I just sent Airbnb a suggestion with a similar request. This week I had an awful allergic reaction in an Airbnb because I didn't think to exclude places that allow pets. I will never do it again, but a different way to search would be awesome! If you have the same problem, send it to https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback

the more they hear from us, hopefully they will change it.

Lauren-Klaus0
Level 2
West Bloomfield Township, MI

Please have a Smoking NOT Allowed filter.  Having to stay in a room that has allowed smoking can literally ruin my vacation.  There is no way to get the odor out and it makes me miserable. It is a simple add on to the existing filters. Just do it.

Thierry97
Level 1
Malta, MT

Of course I guess it's more complicated because you asked the same to the host. So, in fact, we don't know anything about the one who didn't check the box "Smoking allowed": Maybe they allow, maybe they don't...  It means AirBnB should replace that by a radio button: "Is smoking allowed?  O Yes O No " and sent a message to all hosts in the world to update their profile in the next XX days...

All the best

Jo185
Level 2
Nottingham, United Kingdom

I am very disappointed to see that more than a year after this conversation was started air bnb have done nothing about this.  Having not considered it initially I am now having to revisit each property on my shortlist to check for whether smoking is allowed.  It is ridiculous.

PLEASE ADD THIS SEARCH OPTION!!